title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    14

    Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

    I thought that Secure/Ultra Secure Ripping was the best option as it first attempted Burst and only went to Secure/Ultra Secure if there was an issue with Burst - Is this true?

    I am ripping The Rolling Stones - Rock And Roll Circus.
    When I first attempted this the first track which is only 25 seconds was ripping for 8 minutes so I aborted the rip and started again skipping track 1 and starting at 2. This track which is only 54 seconds went for almost 13 minutes before I aborted.

    Should I be using Secure/Ultra Secure?

    Here is the error log for that one track
    Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'C:\Dave\Music\FLAC\Rolling Stones The\The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus\02-Rolling Stones, The-Entry Of The Gladiators.flac'
    Track 2: ERROR Ripping LBA 1905 to 6030 (0:55) in 12:51. Filename: C:\Dave\Music\FLAC\Rolling Stones The\The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus\02-Rolling Stones, The-Entry Of The Gladiators.flac

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

    Quote Originally Posted by daveb30 View Post
    I thought that Secure/Ultra Secure Ripping was the best option as it first attempted Burst and only went to Secure/Ultra Secure if there was an issue with Burst - Is this true?
    Yes, this is true. And yes, you should be using Secure/Ultra for ripping this (and all) disks. Obviously there is a problem with the disk. If you let it continue on it *may* ultimately rip OK. I'd try to clean the CD and then re-rip. And sometimes in these situations, I find that ripping using a different optical drive can solve the issue.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bradford, ON Canada
    Posts
    145

    Re: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, this is true. And yes, you should be using Secure/Ultra for ripping this (and all) disks. Obviously there is a problem with the disk. If you let it continue on it *may* ultimately rip OK. I'd try to clean the CD and then re-rip. And sometimes in these situations, I find that ripping using a different optical drive can solve the issue.
    And if there is no visible damage to the disc, and a good cleaning doesn't help either, it could be a case of disc rot. This happens on older discs where the inner disc hasn't been well sealed. My original Rush/Chronicles compilation had this on both discs. Other than a slightly off-colour tinge to the discs, there is no other signs of damage or scratches, but neither of the two discs from this set will rip cleanly. :(

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    14

    Re: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

    Thanks guys. The CD looks brand new and plays fine. I bought the premium license so I could install this in an additional machine. I have my old backup laptop so I tried ripping it there with the same settings and it blew through the entre disc in 4 minutes. So it looks like my cd/dvd reader may me the issue.It an Asus SDRW-08U9M-U. I see a new posting from Spoon "Sticky: CD Drive Accuracy 2022" I will have to see where my 2 drives fall.

    Thanks again guys for the sanity check on Security Ripping

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

    Quote Originally Posted by daveb30 View Post
    Thanks guys. The CD looks brand new and plays fine. I bought the premium license so I could install this in an additional machine. I have my old backup laptop so I tried ripping it there with the same settings and it blew through the entre disc in 4 minutes. So it looks like my cd/dvd reader may me the issue.It an Asus SDRW-08U9M-U. I see a new posting from Spoon "Sticky: CD Drive Accuracy 2022" I will have to see where my 2 drives fall.

    Thanks again guys for the sanity check on Security Ripping
    I have several cheap optical drives for ripping. The "correctness" of the drive from Spoon's list may not really matter in this situation. I have some problem disks that will rip on Drive A but not on Drive B. Then some other problem CD may be exactly the opposite. So it is not that one drive is "better". I don't understand enough about the technology of how the drives read data and how this affects our ripping, but I have ripped enough CDs to know that sometimes, just a different drive makes all the difference.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    14

    Re: Burst RIP vs. Secure (Ultra Secure)

    Thanks for that info. I didn't see either of on drives listed in Spoon's list

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •