title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Rip as one replacement?

Question Rip as one replacement?

Do I recall correctly that prior versions of CD Ripper included a (very handy) "rip as 1" functionality?

Anyone with a good alternative technique?

I've tried the grabber DSP and find it produces unexpected results despite several attempts to "grab" a precise duration from precise offset from beginning or end of a track.

I found the old "rip as one" especially helpful for separating hidden tracks from the last track on a CD. For example, rip from start of last track to the silence/gap, and then rip from end of that gap to the end of the track.

I struggle to do that with grabber.

As a specific example, see the final track of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go...*Track_listing
    • "Impossibility / Sub Balloon"
    • composed of "Impossibility" [0:00 - 3:01], and hidden track "Sub Balloon" [6:35 - 13:38]

Accordingly, I've tried to "grabber" two separate rips from this one CD track:
    • 3:01 duration from 0 position from beginning, and
    • 7:03 duration from 7:03 position from end

Two complaints with "grabber"
    1. timing never quite works out right, even if I try to pad by a few seconds
    2. audible pops at the start and stop of the rip

Anyone with a good alternative technique to achieve such straightforward rips?
    Thanks!

Re: Rip as one replacement?

Shame on me
    "Rip as One" is still in the menu.

So all is again well in my ripping world : )

dBpoweramp Guru

Interesting for two reasons; firstly that I didn't now CD Ripper could do this, and secondly because I'm not the only one doing something like this :-)

I perform this type of operation on hidden tracks (as in your example) and on CDs where a track has multiple indexes. Where a track has multiple indexes I've written a script that uses sox to split them as I already have the exact points to split them (in the generated CUE sheet), but for "hidden" songs I use Audacity to identify the beginning of the silence then sox to perform the split.

Rather than just delete any silence I'll keep it in a separate track enabling me to piece the segments back together via a CUE sheet so that it'll still verify with AccurateRip/CTDB.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GiacomoGo;211386
    As a specific example, see the final track of [url
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Hum*Track_listing[/url]
    • "Impossibility / Sub Balloon"
    • composed of "Impossibility" [0:00 - 3:01], and hidden track "Sub Balloon" [6:35 - 13:38]

Accordingly, I've tried to "grabber" two separate rips from this one CD track:
    • 3:01 duration from 0 position from beginning, and
    • 7:03 duration from 7:03 position from end

I also use the rip as 1 method for these split and hidden tracks, Using Audacity to identify and create the split points. But it does lose the Accurate rip info at that point. No concern for me, as long as I know the original rip was good.

For the second track in your example, I assume you are correctly using 7:03 duration from 6:35 position to end?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    I also use the rip as 1 method for these split and hidden tracks, Using Audacity to identify and create the split points. But it does lose the Accurate rip info at that point.
    As long as you split the segments accurately and keep all of them it's trivial to generate a CUE sheet to ensure the album still verifies (I don't think PerfectTunes uses CUE sheets but CUETools does and uses them by default if they exist).

Using the example in the first post, I'd split track 11 into the component parts using sox:
    Code:
    sox 01.11.flac 01.11.%2n.flac trim =00:00:00.00 =00:03:01.00 : newfile : trim =00:00:00.00 =00:03:34.00 : newfile : trim =00:00:00.00
    then create a CUE sheet to bring them all together for verification.

For the first 10 tracks you'd use:
    Code:
    FILE "01.01.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 01 AUDIO
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
    FILE "01.02.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 02 AUDIO
    FILE "01.03.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 03 AUDIO
    FILE "01.04.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 04 AUDIO
    FILE "01.05.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 05 AUDIO
    FILE "01.06.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 06 AUDIO
    FILE "01.07.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 07 AUDIO
    FILE "01.08.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 08 AUDIO
    FILE "01.09.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 09 AUDIO
    FILE "01.10.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 10 AUDIO
    And for the 11th track that's now split into 3, instead of:
    Code:
    FILE "01.11.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 11 AUDIO
    You'd use:
    Code:
    FILE "01.11.01.flac" WAVE
      TRACK 11 AUDIO
    FILE "01.11.02.flac" WAVE
        INDEX 02 00:00:00
    FILE "01.11.03.flac" WAVE
        INDEX 03 00:00:00
    If I'm splitting to avoid silence I name the silent track with a .silent.flac suffix so that I can exclude it from being indexed by other tools e.g. foobar, MinimServer e.t.c.