title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Coverter fidelity

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haihayho
    • Apr 2022

Coverter fidelity

So according to this reply, and theoretically, same "source" files should be the same and have identical hash. I get that and personally, I agree that uncompressed data should always be the same.

However, when I convert a blank WAV (no metadata) to WAV and uncompressed FLAC, all 3 of them show different hash. Does it mean they are different? If anyone can explain this to me I'm much appreciated.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Coverter fidelity

If using windows install the utility codec 'Calculate Audio CRC':

Then convert all 3 files to this codec and a notepad will appear showing the audio CRC for the decoded data, if it matches all 3, then they are identical.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

As @spoon notes it is important to compare *audio* CRCs. You are likely comparing total file CRCs, and these can differ because of the metadata (non-audio) information in each file.

Comment

• haihayho
        • Apr 2022

Thank you, I was looking for something like this. The results are the same.

However, it's pretty strange cause what might cause my problem in the first place is metadata, but I deleted all of them, so all files are "blank".
        Last edited by haihayho; 04-26-2022, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

There are headers also in the files.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>