title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dsf to flac conversion results in a different volume level

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KA1J
    • Jul 2020

dsf to flac conversion results in a different volume level

Hi,

Compared to the source file, I have always had the same output volume when converting to anything flac files. Today I converted dsf files to flac and I found I had to increase the volume about 10% with the rendered flac files to play at the same volume as the original dsf file.

I can't find anywhere I've looked to address this. The original is 6 channels (5.1 surround) This is preserved & the flac files become 24Bit 96KHz

I'm using a McIntosh C2700 preamp and usually most everything I've converted plays properly at the same volume level but this rendering will require me to have to manually increase the volume 10% to play at the expected volume.

What might I try doing to adjust this during conversion?

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: dsf to flac conversion results in a different volume level

You could add a dsp effect volume normalize with a fixed gain when converting dsd. A better option is to see if your player is compatible with replay gain, and write those tags when converting, for all your music, which will then normalize (if you have a cd from 1980 and one from 2020, there is a massive difference in volume).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
      if you have a cd from 1980...
      Just a comment: the first commercial CD has been released on October 1st 1982 (Billy Joel, "52nd street").

Dat Ei

Comment

• KA1J
        • Jul 2020

You could add a dsp effect volume normalize with a fixed gain when converting dsd. A better option is to see if your player is compatible with replay gain, and write those tags when converting, for all your music, which will then normalize (if you have a cd from 1980 and one from 2020, there is a massive difference in volume).
        This is the first I have run into modifying settings in dBpoweramp's converter, thus far it has been perfect in every application, so I'm a novice in tweaking the settings.

I run everything from files stored on my computer. The DAC being native to the preamp. Of the two options you suggest, the first one sounds more useful to me as if I want to store & play these on my phone, I will have to adjust the volume higher every time I play these files. Converting from dsf to flac is the first time I have noticed the drop in output in the rendered flac files, it's a new issue and not something I normally encounter.

regarding the "dsp effect volume normalize with a fixed gain when converting dsd"; where will I find this option and what part of the software do I enter the data in? I'll probably have to convert a dsf file several times to get the correct level.

Will I need to disable this dsp effect so it does not raise the volume of future conversion files (does it become a resident feature once engaged), or is the dsp effect something I engage only when needed?

Thanks
        Last edited by KA1J; 02-01-2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

On the DSP section click the Add button and choose Volume Normalize, change the settings to fixed multiply.

You would have to remove this effect if converting non-dsd files.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• KA1J
            • Jul 2020

On the DSP section click the Add button and choose Volume Normalize, change the settings to fixed multiply.

You would have to remove this effect if converting non-dsd files.
            Got it. Thank you so much for the help, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...

]]>