title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Hard Disk Activity Light When Ripping to a RAM Drive

Question Hard Disk Activity Light When Ripping to a RAM Drive

Dear Support,

I recently purchased the Reference version of Music Converter and, for the CD Ripper, set the both the Temporary Folder as well as the final destination for ripped music to directories on my Z: drive, which on my system is an 8GB RAM drive (provided by a 3rd-party driver) that uses 1/4 of my 32GB total physical RAM on my system.

However I noticed that when I start ripping a music CD, the hard drive activity light comes on as if data is being cached to my hard disk instead of the RAM drive, which is entirely in the Windows non-paged memory pool.

Can you please confirm if the hard disk would still be used for caching data OR is it just the SCSI controller that causes the hard disk activity light to activate?

I am a bit concerned as caching to a hard disk would not only create a bottleneck, but would also increase wear and tear if cached to an SSD.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

-=VbN=-

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Hard Disk Activity Light When Ripping to a RAM Drive

Could it be the CD drive activity?

Dat Ei

I don't know. That is why I was asking the group. Normally the hard drive activity light does not come on unless it is copying a file from the CD drive to the hard drive.

Administrator

Reading from a CD will put the hdd light on.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Reading from a CD will put the hdd light on.
    As long as the CD drive is connected to the same controller / mainboard that is connected to the activity led of the case... Things we don't know in this concrete case. That's why my answer has been very vague...

Dat Ei