title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems Ripping multiple copies of same CD with different drives

Problems Ripping multiple copies of same CD with different drives

Hi there,

I've been using CDRipper for quite a while now on my Macbook, mainly to copy my collection of audiobooks and it's been great.

However, I now have one audiobook that is being particularly recalcitrant. I bought it second hand off ebay, in great condition, and it plays fine on my cd player. However, when it came to ripping it, disc 1 worked perfectly, but disc 2 would not rip. When inspecting the disc, it was clean and had no scratches. After a bit of research on this forum I decided to try copying it on a different SuperDrive to my own (borrowing my brother's). It still would not rip. I therefore purchased another copy from Amazon - this time brand new. Same problem. Disc 1 rips perfectly, but disc 2 refuses to copy any tracks, and when "re-ripping" it gives me a number of roughly 20,000 bad frames.

The cd is in accuraterip with a confidence of 5, so I don't see how it could be a manufacturing defect on all CDs, if somewhere in the world people are ripping it and matching each other's rips.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try to fix this? C2 errors are disabled, I have tried ripping in burst mode on both SuperDrives (result does not match accuraterip database).

Many thanks.
    H.

Administrator

Re: Problems Ripping multiple copies of same CD with different drives

You would most likely need a non-superdrive to rip the disc.

Ok, thanks. Will a cheapo USB drive be worth giving a go? Or do you think I need to spend a bit more?

Administrator

No need.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    No need.

cheapo is fine. That's the beauty of AccurateRip checking. I have several super cheap drives that rip just fine. And some 10 year old drives pulled out of junker old Dell desktops. All good.

No need.
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    cheapo is fine. That's the beauty of AccurateRip checking. I have several super cheap drives that rip just fine. And some 10 year old drives pulled out of junker old Dell desktops. All good.
    Great - thank you both so much for your replies.

No need.
    Hi both - just a quick update - I bought another disc drive off eBay and it's having exactly the same problems on both copies of the CD. Sorry to be a pain, but do you think there's anything else I'm missing or could try? Cheers!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by no1funkyguy View Post
    Hi both - just a quick update - I bought another disc drive off eBay and it's having exactly the same problems on both copies of the CD. Sorry to be a pain, but do you think there's anything else I'm missing or could try? Cheers!
    My next step would be to try and rip the CD with something like iTunes, as a test. Does it rip with another ripper? You can rip to ALAC (lossless), then convert to FLAC with dbpa if you are using FLAC. You can then still do an accuraterip check on such files after the fact.

My next step would be to try and rip the CD with something like iTunes, as a test. Does it rip with another ripper? You can rip to ALAC (lossless), then convert to FLAC with dbpa if you are using FLAC. You can then still do an accuraterip check on such files after the fact.
    Hmm, I deleted all the files for a fresh start to the rip (probably idiotically in retrospect). I had previously managed to get an accuraterip first time on disc 1, but this second time around I kept getting errors on specific tracks of each copy. Finally, I've managed to get an accuraterip using XLD (wasn't the first time trying using that software, I must have tried both DB XLD and iTunes about 10 times each.

Now, onto the second disc - the ripping is slow and won't even get to the end of the first track before my drive spits out the disc. Using dBpoweramp it's taking about 10-20 seconds to go from 1% to 2%. Same deal with iTunes, but XLD just displays the progress bar saying "Detecting PreGap" but doesn't progress.

Worth mentioning again that I have two copies of the CD, and this same problem is happening on both of them. I have used DB and XLD loads of times, so I know the software is solid, it must be a hardware thing on the CD end. Just so frustrating that I can't get to the bottom of it!

Thanks again for your time.

dBpoweramp Guru

I wonder if this is a CD that has copy protection built in. There were quite a few of these in the mid to late 1990s by some record labels (Sony comes to mind). These are hard/impossible to rip.
    Last edited by garym; 06-23-2021 at 03:16 PM.

I wonder if this is a CD that has copy protection built in. There were quite a few of these in the mid to late 1990s by some record labels (Sony comes to mind). These are hard/impossible to rip.
    It's an audiobook by Hachette Audio released in 2018. I did just find this article from about 10 years ago, which I gather basically says they were using DRM at that point in time, so I guess this would make it possible. There is an accuraterip confidence of 5 for all of the first disc's tracks except for one track, which only has a confidence of 2. Not sure if this means anything, but it seems weird that 3 people would have had a different result on the same track. I don't know - a bit out of my depth here to be honest. https://gigaom.com/2012/03/30/419-wi...r-to-drop-drm/