title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

cannot convert wav to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • numbbumbb
    • Apr 2004

cannot convert wav to mp3

I get the following message when trying to convert from wav to mp3:
    "The codec required to compress 'C:*.wav' could not be opened".
    I have just installed dBpowerAMP and not downloaded any additional codecs.
    Could You Please Help?
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: cannot convert wav to mp3

Can you give us more information regarding the wav file e.g. bitrate.

Wayne

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

wav to mp3:

Those two contradict (compress to mp3 and the error is compress wave )
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• yugar
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
        wav to mp3:

Those two contradict (compress to mp3 and the error is compress wave )

I have the same problem" The codec required to compress"........"could not be opened".
        What i must do ?

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by yugar
          I have the same problem" The codec required to compress"........"could not be opened".
          What i must do ?

Comment

• Unregistered

My OS is windows95 ver 4.00.950a (don't laugh, slow but at least it NEVER crashes). mp3 to wave works fine(decode.ocx file) no problems...wave to mp3(using te encode.ocx file) (whatever their file names are) unimportant really...I get the error "This program has committed an illegal operation and will be shut down" and of course it is(shut down that is)"If the problem persists, contect the developer or distributor" I can't remember...I wish we could do that, because personally I think the program(ocx file) contains an illegal instruction to the os, such as pushing an address on to the stack without going thru the accumulator or clearing one of the registers in an improper mannor or something of the like....meybe someone could reply in this forum that is not having trouble converting wave to mp3 and tell what their OS is...I think it is an OS dependent programming error by the developers, not anything we are doing wrong..Be nice if the developers would reply on this forum beings we con't ask support questions by e-mail..
            Thank you ----Disgrunteld...

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

dBpowerAMP uses no OCXs, you talking about another program?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

really makes no difference if it is an ocx extender or not...point is, after sellecting te opration to perform in the main program, it goes to get a file (call it codec if you like,,general term) from c:\windows\system to do the operation selected..I think in that file there is an instruction that might be fine for windows 2000 & up..but is illegal(not recognized in the 95 OS and possibly the 98 also..I'm not an expert by any means ..never programed in C++(too bulky and repetitios)only machine language. could be wrong but something to look into..possibly the the problem could be rectified by 2 or 3 instructions in an area of the file that are good for all OS's instead of 1 that is not recognized in some..same thing gets accomplished..just takes more clock cycles and a little slower..but works for all.... my thoughts anyway ..disgruntled

Comment

• Unregistered

you know on second thought..may not be OS related at all..probably not..the pentium proccessor I'm sure??? has a larger instruction set than older proccessors...the same as older ones but with a few added to aid the programmer..the micro would do the same thing internally with 1 instruction that would have taken three or four or more with older proccessors...This could be the reason for an illegal operation error...simply use instructions in programming that would work with all micros from 486 on up... disgruntled
                  compatability with all computers running microsoft would be nice...

Comment

• Unregistered

See, i get the same error, on windows XP latetst build..
                    "The CODEC required to compress 'C:\xxx.mp3.' could not be opened.

Comment

• Wayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Aug 2002

Could be something to do with the encoding options that you are trying to use when creating the mp3. Have you tried installing the latest beta version of dMC?

Wayne

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Wayne
                        Could be something to do with the encoding options that you are trying to use when creating the mp3. Have you tried installing the latest beta version of dMC?
                        Wayne
                        Yup. This is driving me nuts. Doesn't matter what bitrate or options are selected.

-Organfreak

Comment

• Organfreak

Re: cannot convert wav to mp3-SOLVED!?

The problem in my case was in trying to convert 24 bit .wavs. 16 bit works just fine. Workaround? New codec?

-Organfreak

Comment

• jonlanz
                            • Oct 2003

I am having the same problem... I am recording 24bit wavs, need to make proxy .mp3 copies of them to send out for remote recording project.. Can't convert.. If I record 16bit wavs it works fine.. Is there a codec i can grab ? anyone ?

-- Jon

Comment

• Organfreak

Originally posted by jonlanz
                              I am having the same problem... I am recording 24bit wavs, need to make proxy .mp3 copies of them to send out for remote recording project.. Can't convert.. If I record 16bit wavs it works fine.. Is there a codec i can grab ? anyone ?
                              What I'm doing is convertng the .wav files to 16 bit using Soundforge. But a dB Music Converter solution would be nice.
                              -Organfreak

Comment

Working...

]]>