As noted in my post re "[Arrange Audio] not applying ISO chars only in filename conversion option", I planned to go ahead and do a full re-convert of my FLAC library to MP3 to clean up the filenames for use in iTunes, since in testing with one album, that did correctly apply the ISO only option.

However, once I started trying to convert, I started running into crashes. As in for real system hangs. Not BSOD type crashes, but the system would hang, with everything being completely unresponsive. No mouse movements, no screen activity, nothing. In nay app. I tried this at first with the conversion running while I did normal work, as I have done in the past, and then with only the batch converter running. Same result.

I never waited for longer than a few minutes, so maybe a BSOD would have been the eventual result, or perhaps it would have unfrozen. But 2-3 minutes of being unable to use the system was as much as I could take.

My library is not small (over 18k songs), and that may have had something to do with it since as noted, a single album did work. The hangs consistently happened after somewhere between 1K and 2K or so files had converted, but did not appear to be consistent as to any specific file causing the problem. I can't be 100% sure on that last however. (If there are logs generated during bulk conversion, I'm happy to send them to you if you tell me where to find them.) I also tried it both with the full available 8 converters working, as well as only 4. Same result either way.

One thing I should note is that this issue also occurred when I first tried to re-convert them using character replacement in the MP3 converter. I didn't know at the time that it was only the file names that mattered to iTunes (and only in playlists), so I just manually entered a bunch of one for one replacements in the DSP effect character replacement page of the MP3 converter. 49 of them in fact.

That also caused my system to crash. I kind of ignored that fact once I dug deeper and discovered it only mattered for the filenames, and failed to report it.

Once I turned off the ISO characters only option, the conversion of all 18K files worked just fine.

In any case, I'm just going to do a bunch of bulk search/replaces character by character in the filenames to fix my iTunes issue.

Let me know if you need any additional info or want me to conduct some specific tests.

Peter S