title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upstream Art how too?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Upstream Art how too?

I run a windows version and a linux version of Asset, have been for years, the only thing that escapes me is how to get upstream art to work.

I would like my own version of upstream art for albumartist and composer. I get that it uses the first image found but I do not get how I can change that. There seems to be no folder upstreamartimages
    the folderstrucure is
    \Music\
    \Music\Bob Dylan\
    \Music\Bob Dylan\Bob Dylan - 1962 - Live at the Gaslight 1962
    \Music\Bob Dylan\Bob Dylan - 1963 - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    etc..
    where do I place the Bob Dylan.png (as the artist image, not album art) file in this example?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Upstream Art how too?

It's in the dBpoweramp settings (windows at least), in my case:

C:\Documents and Settings\vilsen\Application Data\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary\AssetUserUpstreamIma ges

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

There is 2 instances of asset one in a ubuntu vm and one on Windows server 2012R2
    The ubuntu one does not work.
    On both I've edited UpStreamArtFor.txt to make sure the upstream art is used for the tags I want:
    artist
    genre
    style
    composer
    conductor
    chorus
    soloists
    instrument
    period
    Album Artist
    album artist
    albumartist

On both I've located the directory AssetUserUpstreamImages and but the "Bob Dylan.png" in that directory
    Both use the same all Flac well tagged library
    restarted and rebuild

but asset presents upstream art on windows (Asset 6.2) but not on linux (Asset 6.6) so i think I know were to put them they seem to behave differently

Administrator

Linux is case sensitive, it could be you have to set:

bob dylan.png

or

bobdylan.png

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK I assumed you flattened the filenames because of that.
    The tag is ALBUM ARTIST all capitals stored in the face file is this assumption correct that I should thus use the ALBUM ARTIST tag in the UpStreamArtFor.txt the flac file says ALBUM ARTIST=Bob Dylan so if I use Bob Dylan It should be ok but no joy as far as upstream art goes. Should I use Bob Dylan.PNG, Bob Dylan.Png, Bob Dylan.png but none of these work. Is there a way to look at the actual data streams between asset, control point and the renderer?

Administrator

Try upper and lower case, also without the space.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

No joy,
    I've tried all the permutaions I could think of, switched to artist and artist with short names like adele. Alas no joy on the linux system. Works like a charm on windows! Go figure...

Anybody got upstream art working on Linux and care to share their magic?

Super Moderator

Works for me.

Case sensitivity is a non issue, Asset's own lookup is case-insensitive. However you must strip all the spaces and other non alphanumeric characters, same as on Windows. For Bob Dylan, you want a "bobdylan.png", or "BobDylan.png", either works.

Please make sure that you have the right folder - path must end in uMediaLibrary-v4/AssetUserUpstreamImages

Please restart Asset ("Restart Asset" command) after any changes in AssetUserUpstreamImages or else they will not be noticed.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have tried the the following images in ~/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4/AssetUserUpstreamImages

lex@assetservervm:~/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4/AssetUserUpstreamImages$ ls
    Adele.png
    BobDylan.png
    DavidBowie.png
    TomWaits.png

and UpStreamArtFor.txt
    lex@assetservervm:~/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4$ nano UpStreamArtFor.txt

artist
    genre
    style
    composer
    conductor
    chorus
    soloists
    instrument
    period
    albumartist
    album artist

Restarted using the web interface, rebuild all, clear the cache on the control point, using a retired version of Asset on linux and windows
    Alas no joy on Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS

Help...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

hmm, I see when I download the configuration files from the web interface that i get for UpStreamArtFor.txt
    rtist
    genre
    style
    composer
    conductor
    chorus
    soloists
    instrument
    period

however when I go into the dir and open the file I get
    lex@assetservervm:~/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4$ nano UpStreamArtFor.txt

artist
    genre
    style
    composer
    conductor
    chorus
    soloists
    instrument
    period
    albumartist
    album artist

How can that be?

When i change the media exclusion list in the web page the change is NOT reflected in .dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4/MediaExcludeExts.txt but IS in the downloaded config files???

Could it be that I'm editing the wrong file, is the registered version somewhere else than ~/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4
    Last edited by audiokaas; 07-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    However you must strip all the spaces and other non alphanumeric characters, same as on Windows.
    That is not correct, in Windows it's case-insensitive, with or without spaces. All of these works:

"Bob Dylan.png", "bob dylan.png", "BobDylan.png" and "bobdylan.png".

Super Moderator

You are correct and I was wrong. Indeed the spaces and alphanumeric characters are stripped before matching, so it doesn't matter if you exclude them from your filenames or not. The behavior is exactly the same as on Windows.

If the files grabbed with a configuration snapshot don't contain your changes, it seems like you have been editing the wrong location; perhaps Asset is running as a different user / with a different home directory than the user you're logging in as to edit the content?

You can figure out what path Asset is storing its data at by enabling logging and examining the first lines of the either log - look for "Asset data location: ..."

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Indeed the spaces and alphanumeric characters are stripped before matching
    So Asset prefers to strip the filenames. That leads me to ask:

In a big library, would Asset load/scan faster if the artist art files were prepared with stripped filenames to begin with?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You are correct and I was wrong. Indeed the spaces and alphanumeric characters are stripped before matching, so it doesn't matter if you exclude them from your filenames or not. The behavior is exactly the same as on Windows.

You can figure out what path Asset is storing its data at by enabling logging and examining the first lines of the either log - look for "Asset data location: ..."
    OK that was/is the problem Asset reports
    15:11:07] Date: 2020-07-09
    [15:11:07] R6.6 [Linux-x64]
    [15:11:07] Asset install location: /usr/bin/asset/Asset-R6.6-Linux-x64-registered/bin/
    [15:11:07] Home folder: /root
    [15:11:07] Asset data location: /root/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4
    [15:11:07] PID: 1302
    [15:11:07] Linux assetservervm 5.4.0-40-generic *44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 23 00:01:04 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [15:11:07] No media folders specified
    [15:11:07] No playlist folders specified
    [15:11:07] ContainerAddToCache: added :: 0\ [Seg: 0x7AF0F86341859D3D

How do I get rid of it and make sure it installs in the user directory?

Super Moderator

You have Asset running as root user.

Location of Asset's data depends on the Linux user that launches the Asset process (more specifically on the $HOME variable).

I assume that you have installed Asset using instructions from the sticky topics in this forum (crontab). Unregister Asset from crontab and re-install using provided INSTALL.sh script. This should result in Asset running from the user account that installed it.

We'll update the instructions in sticky threads shortly, with updated info how to install and how to migrate from Asset installed via crontab.