title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rel 17: No preview sound?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcosax
    • Jan 2019

Rel 17: No preview sound?

Hi,
    iMac running Catalina 10.15.5 here.
    I upgraded from Rel. 16 to 17 a month ago but never got to use it until now.
    Wanted to start ripping a bunch of CDs to add to my libraby, but I found out I can't preview tracks.
    CDs spin up, but counter is stuck to 0 and I get no sound.
    Tried beta 9 with same result.
    Tried running previous Rel. 16.8 and works just fine.
    Please advise.

Also, please confirm the following is true: ripping a CD to DSD gives no sound enhancements over FLAC

TIA
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Rel 17: No preview sound?

Originally posted by marcosax
    Also, please confirm the following is true: ripping a CD to DSD gives no sound enhancements over FLAC
    Correct, a CD is a 16/44.1 file. ripping it to DSD creates a larger file container, but does not magically turn a 16/44.1 CD file into a DSD file from an audio content point of view. You just have larger files for no reason. Best to rip the CD to regular FLAC.

Comment

• marcosax
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by garym
      Correct, a CD is a 16/44.1 file. ripping it to DSD creates a larger file container, but does not magically turn a 16/44.1 CD file into a DSD file from an audio content point of view. You just have larger files for no reason. Best to rip the CD to regular FLAC.
      thank you garym for confirming that.

Any hints on the other issue of DBPoweramp 17 not preview-playing CDs?
      16.8 works fine. I checked Security & Privacy Pref Pane and only 16.8 shows up, even if I try to add 17 (actually, Files and Folders doesn't give access to add any application, they are already there and only 16.8 is listed)

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by marcosax
        thank you garym for confirming that.

Any hints on the other issue of DBPoweramp 17 not preview-playing CDs?
        16.8 works fine. I checked Security & Privacy Pref Pane and only 16.8 shows up, even if I try to add 17 (actually, Files and Folders doesn't give access to add any application, they are already there and only 16.8 is listed)

Sorry, no. I never use the preview playing option and I'm not at home to test. I use windows version in any case. I do read that there are all sorts of security/permissions issues with Catalina OSX.

Comment

• marcosax
          • Jan 2019

thank you anyway.
          Beta 17.9 rips ok as in 16.8, anyway. I was just wondering if the issue of not previewing was a symptom of other glitches not as well apparent.

waiting for a hint from others (Spoon?)

TIA

Comment

Working...

]]>