title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Processing DSD/DSF...

Processing DSD/DSF...

Hi All,

Just a quick question - Using DSD files to stream natively or down convert requires the full license correct?

Is it also fair to assume that playing back DSF files will skip (after 2 seconds of playback) from one track to the next when streaming using the free Asset UPnP? I seem to experience the above whether using one app for playback or another and on both my Auralic Altiar and Chord Mojo DACs.

Cheers,
    Vin.
    Last edited by Vinbob; 06-06-2020 at 12:58 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Processing DSD/DSF...

This is indicated in the list of trail version features, no DSD support.
    However, the full licence version plays DSD perfectly. I've used it from pre-release beta & on through updates to version 6.6 & it plays DSD "as is" perfectly on my Naim NDX (internal DAC).

Thanks for the feedback.

The free version seems to let you stream DSD files but it skips from track to track during playback. I would assume and hope that this is the issue of using the free version, as there is no information around this - I will be looking to purchase shortly and will report back...

OK - So purchased and now have a more stable playback in that the tracks no longer skip from one to the next after playing a few seconds, although I am not sure if that was me playing around with the settings on my iPhone Neutron Music player app.

Things a little better, but my issue seems to be with DSD playback. My DSD files are playing back via Asset UPnP with the following settings: 64-bit/352.8KHz/5.6 MBPs/DPCM8 and not playing back at full DSD quality. However, if I play the same file via MinimServer, I get the full DSD playback with the following settings showing in the player for the track: 1-bit/2.8 MHz/5.6 MBPs/DSD64

Anyone have any ideas what Asset UPnP is doing to the file for playback? I have also tried changing the settings in the streaming configuration to set .DSF files as DOP which didn't seem to help, and kills the audio playback with harsh sounding noise playback.

Any guidance/help would be appreciated as this is not working out for me as much as I would love it to, but MinimServer still seems to process and stream things better from what I am experiencing.

Cheers,
    Vin.

EDIT/UPDATE: Just restarted UPnP on my Mac and now the DSD files show with the following settings: 1-bit/2.8MHz/DPCM64 which is an improvement, but the files play for maybe 1-2 seconds (sometimes a little longer) and skip to the next track throughout the album. So a little progress in that the app is seeing the streamed file in better quality, but its not handling playback as it should, which is where I was at with the free version but my assumption, was that this issue was due to it being the free version?!?!
    Last edited by Vinbob; 06-06-2020 at 09:16 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I suspect its something with your server, player or control point. As I said its perfect with my Synology, Naim & iPad over ethernet & I know its the same for the many others I know with other brands & combos.
    I suggest you post exactly what your system components are & lets see what Spoon has to say.
    Last edited by Mike-B; 06-07-2020 at 03:07 AM.

Administrator

If using Wifi to play, then it is unlikely wifi has enough bandwidth for DSD

Thanks for confirming Spoon and it may be a good idea to put something on the product page to suggest that DSD over Wi-Fi is not fully supported - I don't experience this issue at all with MinimServer, as it plays flawlessly. I know I don't have any Wi-Fi related issues, as everything works just fine and I even purchased a new Wi-Fi router in the hope it would solve this issue. 1080p movies with surround stream just fine and again, no issues with streaming with MinimServer. I have also tried both n and G networks from the iPhone to the router in the same room. The Mac which Asset UPnP runs on, is hard wired ethernet into the router.

If there is no troubleshooting that can be done on this, can you please advise how I would request a refund as I need to be able to stream DSD and unfortunately, Asset UPnP is of no use without DSD playback. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinbob View Post
    Thanks for confirming Spoon and it may be a good idea to put something on the product page to suggest that DSD over Wi-Fi is not fully supported - I don't experience this issue at all with MinimServer, as it plays flawlessly. I know I don't have any Wi-Fi related issues, as everything works just fine and I even purchased a new Wi-Fi router in the hope it would solve this issue. 1080p movies with surround stream just fine and again, no issues with streaming with MinimServer. I have also tried both n and G networks from the iPhone to the router in the same room. The Mac which Asset UPnP runs on, is hard wired ethernet into the router.

If there is no troubleshooting that can be done on this, can you please advise how I would request a refund as I need to be able to stream DSD and unfortunately, Asset UPnP is of no use without DSD playback. Thank You.
    Just to add, I tried Plex Server and while I have other issues with Plex, the DSD playback works just fine from track to track. So I can't believe it has anything to do with my setup/equipment given I am able to stream fine with both Plex and MinimServer.