title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Format conversion failures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Format conversion failures

I am having problems converting some high-res audio music to lossy for portable use (iPhone and USB). I recall reading an old post on the Music Converter forum that this was to be expected with dbPoweramp products, but I just wanted to confirm that I've got this right. I can convert these files with Foobar and there is no problem, but I can't use TuneFusion to convert them, it results in white noise only so I am limited to selecting CD rip flacs from my library and manually transferring Foobar converted files for the rest (5.1 flacs, wav, dts, dsf or any 24bit tracks). If this is the case then TuneFusion will not provide the one stop solution I was looking for in managing audio from my master lossless high quality library down to portable devices.

I doubt that I am the only one facing this issue and wondered if I am missing something. I would appreciate your comments.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Format conversion failures

I have only tried to convert 24/48 flac files to mp3. This worked fine.

Administrator

What are your source files? what are you converting to?

It is likely your device is not compatible with multi channel.

OK I'll give you an example:
    Album: Best Audiophile Voices Vol 1.
    Format: FLAC
    Sample Rate: 44.1KHz
    Sample Size: 16bit
    Bit Rate: 1,411kbps
    Channels: 2

If I convert this to m4a through Foobar using fdkacc.exe and no other processing it works fine. If I use TuneFusion it fails (noise). It doesn't matter what setting I use but my preference is VBR level 5. I get the same result if I convert to mp3, again perfect from Foobar with any level, fail with TuneFusion with any level.

Administrator

Which DSP settings are you using?

If you play the created m4a file in foobar, it is noise also?

1. No DSP settings. I tried using resample as an experiment and that did not help.
    2. After converting to m4a using Foobar playback in Foobar or any other device is fine, no noise, perfect. Only when I use TuneFusion to do the converting do I get noise, including when I play the result in Foobar (or any other device).

I have also ensured both Foobar and TuneFusion were using the same version of fdkacc.exe.