title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Correcting tags for Roon

  1. #1

    Correcting tags for Roon

    Hello. First time poster. I have read a lot of posts but am still not sure if Perfecttunes will help me. Here is my situation:

    My library was ripped from Cd using dbPoweramp. This was an old version that I only recently upgraded. When switching from Audirvana to Roon, a lot of my music did not import correctly. Everything showed perfectly in Audirvana but not Roon. The Roon people have tried to help and pointed out that I should upgrade my version of dbpoweramp. After the upgrade, all new rips show up perfectly in Roon.

    Unfortunately I need to fix a lot of the old files. I have figured out how to use the Batch converter in dbpoweramp to identify errors. However, it doesn't give suggestions on how to fix them.

    Will the idtagger function in Perfecttunes identify errors in my library and make suggestions for how to fix them? Typing all corrections manually would take quite a while. I am less worried about album art than I am on getting data and file names correct so that they show up in Roon.

    Any comments are appreciated.

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    What sort of errors are you talking about? Wrong names in tag fields? Or something else?

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,956

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    It depends what is wrong, is it the tag values (such as missing album artist) or the roon cannot read an older tag format?

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    Roon reads and uses all the tags of my 112,000 track library of FLAC, mp3. and m4a files. Some of those files were created 15 years ago or more, some with old versions of dbpa. Please provide more detail on these errors, as something seems odd.

  5. #5

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    Many thanks for the replies. I had to be out of pocket yesterday so could not respond. There are two things that are happening. One is that songs are being labeled as unknown artist. Another is that some songs don&*8217;t seem to be associated with an album name. Albums will be missing several songs while others are perfect. At times I can find the missing songs by doing a search for the artist name and song title.

    What is strange is that there doesn&*8217;t seem to be any rhyme or reason to what shows up.

    Another funky thing that happens with Roon is that album covers will change whenever a new CD rip is added. Audirvana worked perfectly so I question some of Roon's capabilities in this area.

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
    Many thanks for the replies. I had to be out of pocket yesterday so could not respond. There are two things that are happening. One is that songs are being labeled as unknown artist. Another is that some songs don&*8217;t seem to be associated with an album name. Albums will be missing several songs while others are perfect. At times I can find the missing songs by doing a search for the artist name and song title.
    for these separated albums, you are sure that all tracks have exactly the same album name, the same disk and disk total tags, etc. and all files are in the same album directory? Also, you have told Roon to use your tag information when importing?

  7. #7

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    The names in the files look the same when I check the files on my hard drive. I am going to check the album directory structure. I believe that my folder Structure is a mess. When I run an ID tag error check in dbPoweramp it does find errors. What puzzles me is why there would be errors on some songs in an album but not on others.

    I will have to check on whether Roon is using my tags when importing the music.
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 12-28-2019 at 10:07 AM.

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
    The names in the files look the same when I check the files on my hard drive. I am going to check the album directory structure. I believe that my folder Structure is a mess. When I run an ID tag error check in dbPoweramp it does find errors. What puzzles me is why there would be errors on some songs in an album but not on others.

    I will have to check on whether Roon is using my tags when importing the music.
    filenames do not really matter. It is the metadata (tags) that is most important. .

  9. #9

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    When I look at metadata tags in my hard drive for albums where songs are missing in Roon, the album names and artist names look fine. Of course The guys at Roon are helpful and have looked at files that are missing and pointed out where errors are. I am going to have to educate myself more on how to read metadata.

    I would like to add that I am impressed with the level of assistance the folks on this forum have provided so far. It is appreciated.

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    With dbpa,on Windows go to file explorer, select all the files in an album, then right click. This should bring up a menu item like ID TAG EDIT or something like that. Select that and it will open the files in dbpa ID tag editor. You can do an entire album or file by file.

    p.s. for Roon or any music server, one really needs good tags and good file organization. You probably need to bite the bullet and work on cleaning up your tags.

  11. #11

    Re: Correcting tags for Roon

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    With dbpa,on Windows go to file explorer, select all the files in an album, then right click. This should bring up a menu item like ID TAG EDIT or something like that. Select that and it will open the files in dbpa ID tag editor. You can do an entire album or file by file.

    p.s. for Roon or any music server, one really needs good tags and good file organization. You probably need to bite the bullet and work on cleaning up your tags.
    Thanks for the tip. That is. Dry useful advice. I will start this weekend and see. How it goes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •