title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Track order

Track order

When I RIP CDs to a flash drive to be played in my Prius, I always find that some of the tracks are played in the wrong order. In investigating this issue I learned that my Prius system does not care about the alphanumerical order of the track titles. Instead, the order in which tracks are played depends solely on the order in which the tracks were saved to the flash drive. I have had to work around this issue by first ripping each CD to my hard drive, and then copying each track, one at a time, in the correct order to the flash drive. Please tell me how I can force your CD Ripper to do what I am doing manually, which is to copy each file, in track order, to the flash drive, before copying the next file. Apparently, it is now using a method that does not guarantee the order in which tracks are copied. Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Re: Track order

>are played depends solely on the order in which the tracks were saved to the flash drive.

It is more complex than this, it is also the TOC order which can put later files before earlier ones. Take a look at TuneFUSION as it can sort the TOC correctly (ideally you rip to lossless on your HDD, then sync tracks automatically to the car).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >are played depends solely on the order in which the tracks were saved to the flash drive.

It is more complex than this, it is also the TOC order which can put later files before earlier ones. Take a look at TuneFUSION as it can sort the TOC correctly (ideally you rip to lossless on your HDD, then sync tracks automatically to the car).
    Thank you. As I mentioned in my problem statement, if I RIP first to my hard drive, and then copy the files, one at a time in the correct order, the TOC and play order are then always correct. It seems that if CD Ripper were to Rip each track to the flash drive in the correct order, waiting for each track Rip to complete before beginning the next, the Prius would then also show a correct TOC and would play the tracks in the correct order.

Question: Is the CD Ripper software spawning multiple execution threads? If so, then there would be no way to guarantee that the Rips would complete in the original track order.

Administrator

There is no way to stop this, because ripping and encoding happen on 2 threads, if you have a short track it will finish quicker than a longer earlier track.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

This makes TuneFUSION invaluable.