title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MultiEncoder Error with dynamic filepaths

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mshockle
    • Mar 2018

MultiEncoder Error with dynamic filepaths

Hi guys, trying to convert FLAC to MP3 variable highest and back to ALAC to reduce file size and give a better container. When I use Multiencoder with latest R16.4 and add mp3 and alac encoders it spits back the error of cannot find [origdrive]. these dynamic variables are fine when used in their individual encoders but when stacked like this it gets confused.

Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'M:\ExampleFolder\ExampleFile.flac' to 'M:\ExampleFolder\ExampleFile.IGNORE'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '[origdrive]ExampleFolder\_OUTPUT\ExampleFile.mp3' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Apple Lossless: Error unable to open File '[origdrive]ExampleFolder\_OUTPUT\ExampleFile.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder_ALAC::BeginConversion]
    I'm using the default SourceDrive\Sourcepath etc with the sole difference of the output. so something is buggy. thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: MultiEncoder Error with dynamic filepaths

Post your exact naming string please as it appears on the multi-encoder settings page for the encoder (what is set for Base Location and Dynamic Naming)?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mshockle
      • Mar 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	multiencoder-0.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	293878Click image for larger version

Name:	multiencoder-1.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	293879Click image for larger version

Name:	multiencoder-2.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	293880

The list perhaps shows the bug Click image for larger version

Name:	multiencoder-3.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	293881

M:\ is a mapped network drive. I moved the test file to a drive that wasn't error still occurred. Thanks

Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'M:\test.flac' to 'M:\test.IGNORE'
      mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '[origdrive]\_OUTPUT\test.mp3' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
      Apple Lossless: Error unable to open File '[origdrive]\_OUTPUT\test.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder_ALAC::BeginConversion]
      Last edited by mshockle; 04-02-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Yes, this looks like a bug with [origdrive], when used with [Multi Encoder].

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Bug noted, for now just specify the drive name manually.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mshockle
            • Mar 2018

Ok I manually specified it and it works. One question or suggestion:

In this instance I'm converting from FLAC to MP3 to ALAC (MP4). Is there a way to specify that the input file for the ALAC be the output from the MP3 encode, as both seem to be encoding from FLAC directly. If not and this is what the multi-encoder is purposed for (from source), then I understand. Thanks.

Edit: Delete this, I used the batch converter to MP3, and then a subsequent ALAC batch filtered for MP3 with DSP effect remove source. Great program.
            Last edited by mshockle; 04-02-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

You would want FLAC to ALAC, rather than FLAC >> mp3 >> ALAC, as Flac is lossless and ALAC is lossless, mp3 is lossy and loses quality.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mshockle
                • Mar 2018

The reasoning for doing this (in this instance) is ripping from SACD or uncompressed FLAC where an 10 minute file is anywhere between 10-500MB.

For the purposes of these conversions it is to make some recordings available for my iphone. I keep the FLAC in storage if I ever need to re-encode them.

- FLAC to ALAC removes compression in many cases and can make those numbers much larger.
                - iTunes is a terrible media manager but I've long since given up on waiting for them to fix bugs.
                - The bug in this instance is mp3 file metadata is stored in their itunes database and not in the files themselves (it's not idiocy, mp3 metalayer is not sufficient in this day and age and so alac and m4a are used)
                - I rely on the metadata being in the files themselves when I use them on plex, emby, mediamonkey, etc. so it remains synced across each.
                - Plex for instance would transcode an SACD down to AAC or whichever format it prefers and you can imagine the ensuing nightmare.
                - Pure SACD and FLAC is necessary when I have some wine and I'm trying to hear the butterflies in the background during the recording (this is a failed attempt at a joke)
                - I don't always convert to mp3 unless these file sizes are worth downscaling, sometimes they are more reasonable and I just directly convert to ALAC.

The result: Example 10:50 file at 196MB down to 19.6MB (roughly) and ALAC to 23. An SACD example is around 4.3GB for roughly an hour of play reduced dramatically. There are pros and cons.
                Last edited by mshockle; 04-02-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

The ALAC would be exactly the same quality as the mp3, so there is little point of going ALAC from mp3.

In your position I would use AAC (mp4), the encoder is more efficient than mp3, so you can lower the bit rate and have the same quality as mp3.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mshockle
                    • Mar 2018

Thank you buddy, I didn't know the AAC encoder existed till you mentioned it. I will use that from now on. (i tested the two methods btw and the filesizes were more or less the same resulting size so this just simplifies it).

Comment

Working...

]]>