title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Complete Newbie Ripper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scol78
    • Sep 2017

Complete Newbie Ripper

Ive just purchased power amp so i can rip nearly 500 CD's to Apple Lossless,so i can have the album art/track listings etc.
    These are to be ripped to an external 2TB WD HD which will be permantly connected to a Cambridge CXN Streamer for playback.
    My question are
    Will the ripper name the albums as Artist/Title in that order ?
    Will the CDs be ripped as a folder on the HD with the tracks within that folder ?
    Or just as a load of separate tracks/files ?

Poweramp is already installed on my mac,i just want to set it all up correctly before starting the mammoth task of ripping.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Complete Newbie Ripper

Originally posted by scol78
    Will the CDs be ripped as a folder on the HD with the tracks within that folder ?
    Or just as a load of separate tracks/files ?

Poweramp is already installed on my mac,i just want to set it all up correctly before starting the mammoth task of ripping.
    You are wise to want to setup correctly from the start as this is not a straight forward process i.e. you do not simply insert a CD, press a button, the CD is ripped and voila, you have your audio library.

I suggest you read this first: dBpoweramp CD Ripper (Apple OSX)

and this: Secure Ripping Setup Guide

Then, try ripping 4 or 5 CDs only, including a single CD album, a multi-CD album, a compilation CD and perhaps a classical CD.

You can then see how CD Ripper works in terms of the file/folder structure (determined by Path and Naming) and how to preview/edit//write the artwork and metadata tags such as album, artist, title etc. Once you are happy with a few CDs, check in your media player to see how the albums appear and whether you need to make any modifications to your ripping process/workflow, before ripping all your CDs.
    Last edited by mville; 09-24-2017, 02:09 PM. Reason: added another help link

Comment

• scol78
      • Sep 2017

Is all i listed doable ?

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Is all i listed doable ?
        Yes. You configure CD Ripper to output what you require. The file/folder structure is determined by Path and Naming, which you can edit and if you are not happy with the album name, you can edit it before ripping.
        Last edited by mville; 09-24-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• scol78
          • Sep 2017

Interesting read,thankyou.
          Better get the CD player warmed up

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Please can you to explain exactly what you mean by:
            Will the ripper name the albums as Artist/Title in that order

as I don't understand what you mean (i.e. the album name is the album name), example:
            album = Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
            Last edited by mville; 09-24-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• scol78
              • Sep 2017

Sorry didn't explain properly.
              When the CD is ripped say directly to a HD
              What comes up first on the listing, artist or album name
              Just wondering if the HD puts albums in alphabetical order by the first name that appears on file(Album or artist)
              After say ripping 200 cds how do the files appear on the HD, alphabetical or order they were ripped in.
              Just wondering when using the Cambridge Connect app, how it sees the albums

Comment

• Dat Ei
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2014

The order depends on the application for displaying the tracks or albums. There is strict order of files or folder - neither on a Windows, nor on a Apple system.

Dat Ei

Comment

• scol78
                  • Sep 2017

So it doesn't matter what order i rip and copy Cds to an external HD,the app will determine the order it sees them

Comment

• Dat Ei
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Feb 2014

So it doesn't matter what order i rip and copy Cds to an external HD,the app will determine the order it sees them
                    Yes, but you might want to have some special orders like an sorting by track number in a file explorer. For those cases you should make up your mind about your naming scheme. Smarter applications use the metadata of your files and build up a database. Those apps are capable to represent different and smarter kinds of sort orders.

Dat Ei

Comment

• scol78
                      • Sep 2017

What i don't want is to rip and transfer 500 CDs, then have to scan the whole 500 listings to find 1 album to play.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

What i don't want is to rip and transfer 500 CDs, then have to scan the whole 500 listings to find 1 album to play.
                        The way that albums are presented and the way you view/search/play these albums, will depend on the application you are using to view the albums. In your case, this will be the Cambridge CXN network player.

It is unlikely you'll get answers regarding the Cambridge CXN here, unless of course, someone is familiar with the Cambridge user interface.

Comment

• scol78
                          • Sep 2017

The CXN does not scan entire USB storage devices to build an artist/ track database. It is therefore recommended that audio files are stored in a structured way by artist and album to facilitate locating tracks..............

Ive just got this off the Cambridge site.....does this mean after ripping to HD,the files won't be in any sort of order ?

Comment

• Dat Ei
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Feb 2014

The representation of the files will be in the order that the Cambridge Software offers. It only depends on the Cambridge software. If this software sorts alphabetically by folder name and file name, ok. If this software doesn't sort at all, then the Cambridge software is rather useless, especially for bigger music collections.

Nevertheless firstly make up your mind about tagging and secondly about naming of your music files. Client software will come, client software will go - the music files will remain.

Dat Ei

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

does this mean after ripping to HD,the files won't be in any sort of order ?
                              To avoid repeating myself, please re-read the thread as this has already been answered. The file/folder structure will be in the order you determine in CD Ripper, using Path and Naming.

Comment

Working...

]]>