title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by mville
    Knowing garym as I do, I reckon it's down to the narrow bandwidth (frequency range) that speech requires, so mp3 is more than adequate.
    Thanks a lot mville. So would placing it in FLAC cause distortion or artifacts? Or would it not affect the sound quality at all? Cheers.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      So would placing it in FLAC cause distortion or artifacts? Or would it not affect the sound quality at all?
      There's no problem ripping a dialog CD to flac whatsoever, so no distortion, artefacts, or loss of quality as it is a lossless format.

Also, if you were to rip to mp3 (a lossy format) with reasonable (higher) quality/bitrate settings, you probably wouldn't here a difference between the resulting mp3 and the flac.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

There's no problem ripping a dialog CD to flac whatsoever, so no distortion, artefacts, or loss of quality as it is a lossless format.

Also, if you were to rip to mp3 (a lossy format) with reasonable (higher) quality/bitrate settings, you probably wouldn't here a difference between the resulting mp3 and the flac.
        Cheers mville, So do you rip to mp3 using dBpa, and select the highest bitrate (which I think is 360 for mp3)? Paul
        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-08-2017, 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

So do you rip to mp3 using dBpa, and select the highest bitrate (which I think is 360 for mp3)?
          I rip all my CDs to flac. I have also converted my whole flac library to mp3 (vbr Quality -V 1) for use in my portable devices.

Note: My library does not contain any dialog CDs, podcasts, audiobooks etc.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

I rip all my CDs to flac. I have also converted my whole flac library to mp3 (vbr Quality -V 1) for use in my portable devices.
            Thanks mville, when you rip your CDs in the first instance, do you rip them to FLAC and then convert the FLACs to mp3s, please? Paul

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

when you rip your CDs in the first instance, do you rip them to FLAC and then convert the FLACs to mp3s
              Yes, my workflow process goes something like this:
              1. Rip CD to flac
              2. Check the rip (and the tags)
              3. Backup the flac libray

4. Convert to mp3
              5. Fix tags to accommodate Apple deficiencies
              6. Import into iTunes

7. Update my personal documentation (mostly MS Excel worksheets)

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Yes, my workflow process goes something like this:
                1. Rip CD to flac
                2. Check the rip (and the tags)
                3. Backup the flac libray

4. Convert to mp3
                5. Fix tags to accommodate Apple deficiencies
                6. Import into iTunes

7. Update my personal documentation (mostly MS Excel worksheets)
                Cheers mville, This may, or may not, be something which I do. I have not thought that far ahead yet. But cataloguing i MS Excel is something I need to get into. Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-08-2017, 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Hi, Depending on how the returned Sony Walkman responds, I may decide to change one of my tags. I like to know the release-year and also the recorded-year - and I am trying to keep the 'comments' box free for more exclusive data.

So, in YEAR I have been stating the release-year of the album (if all tracks were recorded in the same year), or else the YEAR each track (if different) was released. When the tracks were recorded during different years then this field shows as: 'various years' - as you would expect. And in the self-created RECORDED tag I am stating the year of the recording. The latter mentioned is fine and I am happy with how this is being handled. But for YEAR, I am thinking maybe I should just state the year the album was released, as opposed to each track. For instance, if you have a compilation CD where every track was released in a different year, then I am wondering if I may be better just simply stating one single OVERALL year (ie. the year the compilation album was released), rather that - as I have been doing - going to great lengths to individually tag the year of each and every track. I am happy with everything else I have done to date and so at least there is only one single element which may be subject to change.

If I do decide to switch to this new method, then situations will arise where you have one track (say: "Spanish Key" from Miles Davis's: 'Bitches Brew') which is tagged with the YEAR '1970' (on the original album). But then the same item (ie: "Spanish Key" from Miles Davis's: 'Bitches Brew') which is tagged with the YEAR '2001' (on the complete boxset remastered album)! Thanks, Paul
                  Just bumping this question in case anyone would like to answer it. Many thanks, Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

I read something about it on Wiki. I had not heard of VBR before.

Do most people in here rip their CDs to mp3 and FLAC only? Or do they rip them to other various formats as well, please?
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-09-2017, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

I have ripped the Miles Davis section of my CD collection bar one disc. I am not at all sure how to categorize it and so I think I will have to post a question here tomorrow. I would say I have now ripped about one eighth of my entire collection. Paul

Comment

• Jailhouse
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2016

Do most people in here rip their CDs to mp3 and FLAC only? Or do they rip them to other various formats as well?
                        I rip my CDs exclusively to FLAC. If need mp3s in the future, I'll use the FLAC files as my source for Music Converter since that will be many times faster than ripping.

Comment

• Oggy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Just bumping this question in case anyone would like to answer it. Many thanks, Paul
                          Hi Paul,

Sorry that your Sony no longer reads your memory card - now your player goes to 11, they really are going out of their way to protect your hearing!

Funnily enough, I ripped Bitches Brew, and seven other CDs of Miles, the other day!

Just for your information, I found good art for all, one 800x800, the rest 1000x1000, front cover only, put the correct original release year in, yes, 1970 for Bitches Brew, entered the missing composers on two or three, checked for errors, and ripped them on a low powered, laptop, in just under 80 minutes. I could have done this quicker if I had used the full-sized CD drive, and accepted the offered art.

To answer your question, if it was a new Bitches Brew, boxset, with bonus tracks, I would still use, Year 1970. If the boxset was the only version I had, I probably wouldn't put 2001 anywhere, if I did, it would go in Comments.

If I had two copies, and wanted both, I would probably use Bitches Brew and Bitches Brew [Remaster]

This is where choices, and pure personal preferences, comes into the equation.

The main reason I use this, is because, unless I have several unique (different sounding) masterings, the year the CD, was released has no interest to me, and I think in terms of original LP release date.

The benefit of using this method:- I prefer to display the covers in alphabetical order, by Artist, and then chronologically, by Album. So for my Miles Davis, CDs, under D, they display, Kind Of Blue, Porgy And Bess, Sketches Of Spain, E.S.P. Miles In The Sky, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, On The Corner.

With your knowledge of Miles, you will notice one error in this order, Porgy And Bess, should be before, Kind Of Blue, but because they were both the same year, alphabetically, Kind comes before Porgy. This is the flaw in the plan, as the player / app, doesn't work with 1959 03 09 and 1959 08 17.

I could fudge, Year, to display correctly, chronologically, and put the release date in Comments: I guess that is one of my choices!!

Hopefully this helps explain why, I make the choices that I do, but also, just how personal, these choices are. Because I can superimpose, the Artist and Album name, on the bottom of the cover, on my app, I try and keep the filename as short as possible, whilst reflecting what it says on the cover. Basically, the CD covers, are for me, the modern day equivalent, of LP sleeve, spines.

Oggy
                          Last edited by Oggy; 09-09-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                            I rip my CDs exclusively to FLAC. If need mp3s in the future, I'll use the FLAC files as my source for Music Converter since that will be many times faster than ripping.
                            Thanks JH, So converting a file is much faster than ripping it? Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                              Sorry that your Sony no longer reads your memory card - now your player goes to 11, they really are going out of their way to protect your hearing!

Funnily enough, I ripped Bitches Brew, and seven other CDs of Miles, the other day!

Just for your information, I found good art for all, one 800x800, the rest 1000x1000, front cover only, put the correct original release year in, yes, 1970 for Bitches Brew, entered the missing composers on two or three, checked for errors, and ripped them on a low powered, laptop, in just under 80 minutes. I could have done this quicker if I had used the full-sized CD drive, and accepted the offered art.
                              Thanks very much Oggy, I tried the SD Card in two other music playing devices and it works fine. I emailed Sony on Thursday evening but they have not replied. Each time it is sent to them for repair, it is returned with a new fault! Quite unbelievable really.

80 x mins to rip the original double-CD of "Bitches Brew" is good going. Actually, I remember there only being a few wrong items of info. on there (unlike many other CDs to date!). Here are the two arts I used for the original CD front and rear:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	293598

Click image for larger version

Name:	Folder - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	293599

Completely different art for BOXSET version was used.

Incidentally, do you have the bonus track CD (it has a Wayne Shorter track ["Fieo"] placed at the end)? Cheers,

Paul
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-09-2017, 01:19 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Knowing garym as I do (several years now, using these forums ), I reckon it's down to the narrow bandwidth (frequency range) that speech requires, so mp3 is more than adequate.
                                mville knows me well on this topic! Yes, I don't care about saving space at all. But porcasts, audiobooks, etc. are not music that I care about having bit perfect copies of. Good quality MP3 is more than enough for that stuff.

Comment

Working...

]]>