title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Thanks very much. Well I have gone for EXTERNAL so I hope I made the right choice. I don't think I want to spend the time sourcing and applying front & rear artworks for a single CD. It's time consuming enough finding a decent front cover a lot of the time. So I think I can do without the extra donkey-work for now. Foobar seems to be great and now now my home PC is reading and writing to the Dell external-HD. And I have made a back-up on a SanDisk micro SD card (which will eventually be slotted into the Sony Walkman, or whichever playback device I end up settling for.

Rome wasn't built in a day! Cheers, Paul
    I only worry about front cover art and do all mine as external as well.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
      I only worry about front cover art and do all mine as external as well.
      Thanks for confirming Gary. Which factor swung you towards favouring external over embedded, please? Paul

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Thanks for confirming Gary. Which factor swung you towards favouring external over embedded, please? Paul
        although relatively speaking I may not save that much space (although it is not trivial across 7,000+ albums), it seemed sorta silly to me to have the exact same picture embedded in every track of an album when I could simply have a single picture in the album folder. Plus, if I ever want to change the picture (something better comes along), I can replace just that picture with one simple step.

EDIT: Do note however that when I create a mirror copy of my library converted from FLAC to mp3 (for use on my portables, iphone, ipad, ipods, etc.), when doing the conversion I embed the art in each track (and also downconvert the size of the art to 300x300). This is because my mp3 library on portable devices may just be a mixture of tracks, etc. and I want to make sure the artwork is always with each track.
        Last edited by garym; 08-26-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Hi, I am just hoping that my Sony Walkman (when it is fixed/returned) will be able to read (display) the external artwork. Maybe I should have waited until I have received it back from them, and tested it out with a couple of CDs first. Anyway, it's too late now! It was 11GB in total (around 35 CDs). It works fine in foobar though (ie. with different artwork beig displayed for each disc in a boxset). Cheers.
          If the sony needs embedded art, you can use batch convert, ID TAG PROCESSING, and automatically convert your external art to embedded with only a few clicks of a mouse. No problem.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

If the sony needs embedded art, you can use batch convert, ID TAG PROCESSING, and automatically convert your external art to embedded with only a few clicks of a mouse. No problem.
            Oh wow, cheers, you made my day!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

although relatively speaking I may not save that much space (although it is not trivial across 7,000+ albums), it seemed sorta silly to me to have the exact same picture embedded in every track of an album when I could simply have a single picture in the album folder. Plus, if I ever want to change the picture (something better comes along), I can replace just that picture with one simple step.

EDIT: Do note however that when I create a mirror copy of my library converted from FLAC to mp3 (for use on my portables, iphone, ipad, ipods, etc.), when doing the conversion I embed the art in each track (and also downconvert the size of the art to 300x300). This is because my mp3 library on portable devices may just be a mixture of tracks, etc. and I want to make sure the artwork is always with each track.
              Gary, that's very interesting indeed. So because you have only one JPEG in the album folder, the overall size (of the album) is smaller than if you had art embedded to each track? Which is kinda pointless if you're using a single artwork across the entire album!

Can you just drag and drop a replacement JPEG artwork if using a single external file? Paul
              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2017, 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Gary, that's very interesting indeed. So because you have only one JPEG in the album folder, the overall size (of the album) is smaller than if you had art embedded to each track? Which is kinda pointless if you're using a single artwork across the entire album!

Can you just drag and drop a replacement JPEG artwork if using a single external? Paul
                Yes, if I have 23 tracks in an album with embedded art, it takes up the disk space of saving the same picture 23 times! And yes, you can drag and drop a replacement of jpeg artwork when using external. I just make sure it is the same name you're using (e.g., folder.jpg)

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Yes, if I have 23 tracks in an album with embedded art, it takes up the disk space of saving the same picture 23 times! And yes, you can drag and drop a replacement of jpeg artwork when using external. I just make sure it is the same name you're using (e.g., folder.jpg)
                  That's awesome Gary. Why does dBpa always use the generic naming of 'folder.jpeg', please? Can the user change this to (say) the album name (eg. 'thriller.jpeg')? Oggy mentioned he stores all of his artwork. I wonder if he uses such a naming system? Paul
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2017, 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

One day soon I will make a count of all my CDs for you. It will probably only take me two minutes!
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2017, 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

That's awesome Gary. Why does dBpa always use the generic naming of 'folder.jpeg', please? Can the user change this to (say) the album name (eg. 'thriller.jpeg')? Oggy mentioned he stores all of his artwork. I wonder if he uses such a naming system? Paul
                      See the art options in your ID TAGS and Metadata in Ripper options. You've obviously selected folder.jpg (which is probably the default). There is also cover.jpg or you could use [album].jpg and it would give the artwork the name from the album tag. One's preference might be a function of their player(s) and how they handle art.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

See the art options in your ID TAGS and Metadata in Ripper options. You've obviously selected folder.jpg (which is probably the default). There is also cover.jpg or you could use [album].jpg and it would give the artwork the name from the album tag. One's preference might be a function of their player(s) and how they handle art.
                        Thanks Gary, obviously something else to play around with one afternoon. I think mine was set to folder.jpeg partly because my methodology was as to 'export to folder' via EDIT ID TAG.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2016

Well I have gone for EXTERNAL so I hope I made the right choice.
                          You're saving only one instance of each image (in a disc folder) rather than an instance in every track in an album. That alone saves a lot of storage space. (I have 14TB of storage in a 5-drive NAS. While that's a ton of space, I still don't see any sense in wasting it.) And it's a lot easier to replace album art if, e.g., you find a much better example.

I don't think I want to spend the time sourcing and applying front & rear artworks for a single CD. It's time consuming enough finding a decent front cover a lot of the time.
                          I haven't seen very many album back covers online. And since I limit my album art to 500x500 px, any text on them would look like smudges anyway.

I probably take more time overall by processing scans of my CD covers in Photoshop instead of searching online, but I'm nearly always happier with the result. Not only that, I get a lot of practice with PS. So that's a tradeoff I'm glad to make.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

I can track the number of albums I have just from info reported by my music server. As of today it is 7170 albums with 96250 songs by 13629 artists.
                            That's a nice little collection you have there!

Comment

• Jailhouse
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2016

Why does dBpa always use the generic naming of 'folder.jpeg'?
                              Because you didn't change the default. I did...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD Ripper options.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	293551

...although I never use it now.

Can the user change this to (say) the album name (eg. 'thriller.jpeg')?
                              Yup. Here's my foobar settings for front cover art:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fb2k album art search patterns.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	293550

I either added "Cover.jpg" or moved it to the top of the list; I don't recall which. I prefer "Cover.jpg" mainly because I find it to be a better description.

N.B. If you use the album name for your cover art, you'll have to make sure the image file is named exactly as it is in the album title tag. I have a hard time getting "Cover" wrong.

Comment

• Oggy
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                                I'm tracking my rips in Excel because, once I'm done, I'll finally know exactly how many CD titles I have.
                                Are you doing this using the, Audio Info, codec?

Comment

Working...

]]>