title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Strange Result

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbarnby
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2017

Strange Result

Post *3
    I'm a neophyte at networked music and CD ripping. I bought dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes. Please help me understand the software.

I did a test rip of the opera Rigoletto (2 disks) and do not understand the results. I need help.

The results for the first disk was:
    Artist: Giuseppi Verdi [Verdi is NOT the artist he's the composer]
    Album: Rigoletto (Disk 1)
    The key in the lower left showed Style: Opera

Further identified as: 01 Giuseppi Verdi – Predludio.flac

The results for the second disk was:
    Artist: Joan Sutherland
    Album: Rigoletto (Disk 2)
    The key in the lower left did not have a Style listing

Further identification: 01 Marti Talvela, Opera; Ac

How do I understand these two very different records from two discs of the same set?

Thank you,
    Don
  • Oggy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2015

Re: Strange Result

Hi Don,

I see that you have mentioned this "Strange Result", a couple of times, and not sure if you're still wondering why you got the results you did.

Firstly, they are Metadata, that you OK'd to rip, so the results are entirely correct, though, obviously not what you want.

There is no agreed standard for tagging, and for Classical in particular, as you've have seen, people use various, and different choices.

If you put your Verdi disc 1, back in CD ripper, on the first page, you will see that the Artist field, is filled in with Giuseppe Verdi. If you either click on the Metadata icon, or press Alt + M, the different Metadata from the providers is pulled up, and you have a choice on which to click. Whatever is displayed in the left hand column is the default names, and what you ripped.

On Disc 2, the default naming, the one you selected from the left hand column, has been populated differently. The Artist has been entered as Juan Sutherland, not Giuseppe Verdi.

You can click on any of the columns of the Metadata providers, and this become the new information, and what will be ripped. You can manually enter anything you want, in these boxes, and whatever you OK'd will be your results, after ripping.

It was precisely because of results like you had, that after originally putting multiple discs into a single folder, that I chose to put every disc into its own folder. In your example, my folders would be, Giuseppe Verdi, Rigoletto, Disc 1 and Disc 2. This makes it very easy to delete the folder, (single disc) that I got wrong. Sometimes it is quicker to re-rip a single disc, rather than edit the tags; it's certainly less effort.

Having a play with the Metadata of the two discs of your Verdi set, ripping, and seeing the results, is a great way, to help understand, what is happening.

We all want to rip it once, rip it right, but as others have mentioned, what you consider right, may be different to what another person considers right.

I rip straight to my NAS, so probably spend more time tidying up the tags and selecting the cover art, I want, than the actual ripping. With the invaluable help of several members on this forum, I have achieved the results, that I want, BUT, it took a few tries, and errors, to work out what I did want.

It is your choice if you want Rigoletto Disc 1, Rigoletto (Disk 1), or just, Rigoletto, as the album name. None are right or wrong, it is personal choice. We are creating a personal music library, and it is just that. The best advice is be consistent.

Before ripping, I have set up CD ripper, to limit the max cover art to 1000 X 1000 and file size 300KB, then ensure the cover art makes sense to me.

I change the Genre to something that makes sense to me. A colleague has over 160 Genres, and I very much doubt could find a lot of albums, using Genre. I use under 20.

I normally fill the date in, giving the original release date. Searching on Artist / Date, will then display in chronological order.

I correct the tags, and capitalise all. This is bad English, but it is consistent, so the library looks good.

I don't use Disc 1, Disc 2 in the album name. But always ensure the disc number 1/2, 2/2 is correct, and the album name, artist, and album artist, consistent from disc to disc.

The Beatles, I keep as The Beatles. In Windows, this puts the folder under The, but on my player, The Beatles is displayed, as I want under B. Gustav Mahler, but set to show under M.

As I say, this is all personal preference, and become second nature to resolve before ripping.

Hope this hasn't confused you, good luck!
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-17-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Oggy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2015

Re: Strange Result

Your Strange Result, is nothing to do with a specific naming scheme, but down to the Metadata, specifically, the Artist, being different between Disc 1 and Disc 2.

Because in Disc 1, Artist was entered as Giuseppe Verdi, from your naming scheme, an Artist folder, Giuseppe Verdi, was created, with the files from Disc 1 in it. On Disc 2, Artist was entered as Joan Sutherland, so an Artist folder, was created for Joan Sutherland. I guess that this was the default Metadata for both discs, so not unreasonably, you went ahead and ripped the CDs.

With CD Ripper, open, load your Rigoletto, Disc 1, and click on the Metadata icon, or Alt + M. This will bring up the Metadata, from up to four providers. Anything in red, is a discrepancy.

Make an exact note of the entries, paying attention to which letters are capitalised, spaces and syntax. See if Disc is 1/2.

Load Disc 2, edit the Metadata so it replicates Disc 1, exactly. ie delete Joan Sutherland, and replace with, Giuseppe Verdi. Do this for the Artist, Album Artist, and Album, all exactly the same as Disc 1. Check if Disc is 2/2. Don't worry about the track names yet. Press OK.

Right click on the shortest track, and rip it.

Check to see if this gives you the result you expect, if not, there is an typing error, check again.

Hopefully you will end with an expected result!

Comment

Working...

]]>