title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Set-Up for Ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Originally posted by Oggy
    Hi Don,

I don't know if you read any other threads apart from your own, but another on-going thread is monsterjazzlick's RE: Ripping Level Question (help?) Paul asks questions that may be pertinent to yourself, and usefully shows some screenshots, that may be helpful.

Regards,

Oggy
    Excellent idea. Thread is here.
    Hi folks I very recently joined this forum and have already posted an 'introduction'. I am using the dBPowerAmp 'trial' and have some novice questions: Is there an actual manual/PDF/Video/tutorial which instructs how to RIP a CD into FLAC please? I would to RIP at like the highest audio quality but am unsure as to

Comment

• dbarnby
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2017

Thanks, garym:

You are right, I am forgetting that naming and playing are different.

Thanks for explaining the possible problem of putting two disks in a single folder.

Don

Comment

• dbarnby
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2017

I'm trying to get right down to really ripping and experimenting as has been recommended. As you know I've hesitated to do that until I had a firm base of knowledge. My caution now seems to have been well-advised as I am finding my intuition was correct &*8211; there is some very fundamental stuff I still don't understand which, I'm sure, is old hat to many of you but still a mystery to me.

You've all been wonderfully patient and helpful, and some of the remaining gaps in my knowledge may have been answered before, but still there are gaps as I now try to implement what you have taught me. There are a lot of moving parts and I don't remember everything and the forum notes are so voluminous now that finding all the answers is hard. I have, indeed, read over the thread from start to finish and taken notes. If nothing else, I am persistent.

Also, I've been reading other forums to gain knowledge, yet that has only deepened my realization that I'm not yet prepared to proceed. Much of what I'm missing is because dbpa is presented in a rather sparse manner, and it employs words/acronyms that are not defined or I don't know the meaning of even under the [?] question marks. Nevertheless, I'm determined to get it. Here's my current list of mysteries:

1) Rudimentary but important: I assume "Title" refers to song or work title, not album title. It that correct?

Also, at the top of the screen there is a place for "Work" and a place for "Name." What do each of these apply to?

2) What are "sort" tags, such as Artistsort and Composersort? Where are they found? What do they do? How do I use them?

3) In response to earlier questions I have understood that the Naming string defines the folder tree that appears in the file explorer. Now, after more exploration I'm thinking that's not quite the whole story; now I'm thinking that the Path defines the folder tree structure that appears in the left pane of File Explorer, and the Naming string defines only the file name appearing in the right pane of the File Explorer. Is that correct?

4) In the "Naming" string (with the []\ etc.), does everything that appears to the left of the last \ appear in the left pane as indented folders and subfolders in the File Explorer,
        AND
        everything to the right of the last \ appear as the filename in the right pane of the File Explorer?

5) And finally, I return to a question I've asked before but am still puzzled by: How does one code a naming string properly with the various indicators ([ ] \) as well as the codes [IFVALUE], [IFCOMP], [IF!COMP], etc.? How are these used?

What is the proper syntax for constructing a proper (Naming ?) string? I appreciate that garym and oggy have kindly constructed strings for me to use, yet in the long run I need to know how to do that myself in case I want to alter my naming. I read all the way through monsterjazzlick's thread and noticed that he seemed to understand string creation although I believe he, too, is new at it. So that makes me realize I'm clearly missing something.

Wit a bit more understanding of the fundamentals I do really want to start experimenting.

Don

Comment

• KOTA
          • Aug 2017

I can rip yesterday, but can not rip today. It show "not in accurateRip".
          I change CD disc, but same result.
          I change CD drive, but same result.
          I try uninstall and install again dBpoweramp, but same.
          I can play the CD and it can reed TOC.

Please help me.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dbarnby
            1) Rudimentary but important: I assume "Title" refers to song or work title, not album title. It that correct?

Also, at the top of the screen there is a place for "Work" and a place for "Name." What do each of these apply to?
            Title refers to the CD track name/title. Album refers to the CD name/title.

2) What are "sort" tags, such as Artistsort and Composersort? Where are they found? What do they do? How do I use them?
            These forums have a mass of info on the use of Sort tags, that don't need repeating here.

3) In response to earlier questions I have understood that the Naming string defines the folder tree that appears in the file explorer. Now, after more exploration I'm thinking that's not quite the whole story; now I'm thinking that the Path defines the folder tree structure that appears in the left pane of File Explorer, and the Naming string defines only the file name appearing in the right pane of the File Explorer. Is that correct?
            No, Path defines the root folder/directory only. Naming defines the file/folder structure, within Path. Together they define the file/folder structure for the files created during the ripping process.

If you read the help, as I advised you, will have seen this:
            Path and Naming work together to set the output folder and filename... etc.

4) In the "Naming" string (with the []\ etc.), does everything that appears to the left of the last \ appear in the left pane as indented folders and subfolders in the File Explorer,
            AND
            everything to the right of the last \ appear as the filename in the right pane of the File Explorer?
            Depends on the view and where you are in the folder structure, within Windows File Explorer.

So, in reference to the Naming string, everything to the left of the last \ is the folder structure and everything to the right of the last \ is the filename (all of which will be created under Path).

5) And finally, I return to a question I've asked before but am still puzzled by: How does one code a naming string properly with the various indicators ([ ] \) as well as the codes [IFVALUE], [IFCOMP], [IF!COMP], etc.? How are these used?

What is the proper syntax for constructing a proper (Naming ?) string? I appreciate that garym and oggy have kindly constructed strings for me to use, yet in the long run I need to know how to do that myself in case I want to alter my naming. I read all the way through monsterjazzlick's thread and noticed that he seemed to understand string creation although I believe he, too, is new at it. So that makes me realize I'm clearly missing something.
            In the dBpoweramp: CD Ripper Naming Window (accessed by clicking the Set button, next to the Naming string found bottom left of the main CDRipper window), you can add Tags, Properties, Programmable Actions and also set to the Default Naming string.

These tools are to help you build your Naming string (file/folder structure). I had to experiment and learn how to use these functions and how they interacted, to obtain my Naming string.

It would take me an age to give you a course here, on the Naming string, sorry. There is the help sections and this forum to help you get a better understanding of the fundamentals.

Here is the Naming help:
            dBpoweramp Naming

Here is the default Naming string:
            [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by KOTA

Please help me.
              If it's a very recent CD, or limited release, it may not yet be in the AccurateRip database yet. Are you using the trial or registered version?

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KOTA
                Maybe your CD is not in the AccurateRip database.

What do you mean by can not rip today, exactly? Please can post the exact error message, if there is one?

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Hi Don,

I honestly think that your Verdi, Rigoletto, CD has thrown you a little bit. A Classical, double CD that had different Artists come up on each disc, is a tough break, and very unusual.

When I started, I had a go, then simply used garym's naming string / scheme.

As I mentioned previously, until I got a player, I thought in terms of folders, and not how a player handles files. Paul,that you mentioned, tried a single Jazz CD, and tried it on his player, and then started optimising from there.

Have you got your Verdi, sorted yet?

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

These refer to new Classical music tags (originated in iTunes v.12.5) i.e. Work, Movement Number, Movement Count and Movement Name.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

A little dated, but still very useful. A file naming tutorial:

At the request of multiple users, I am writing a short tutorial on how to use the naming scheme in dMC r12. The basics of the naming scheme are simple to get: [artist] - use for the artist name [album artist] - use for the album artist, NOT the same as artist necessarily [album] - use for the album title [title] -

Comment

• Oggy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mville
                        These refer to new Classical music tags (originated in iTunes v.12.5) i.e. Work, Movement Number, Movement Count and Movement Name.
                        Hi mville,

These appear to be causing a lot of confusion, are there any players that use these tags, outside of an iTunes / Apple environment?

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

These appear to be causing a lot of confusion, are there any players that use these tags, outside of an iTunes / Apple environment?
                          What confusion?

Sorry, I have no idea what players currently support these tags, apart from iTunes.

I would add that I applaud and support any attempts to form a standard which helps in the tagging of Classical music.

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

What confusion?

Sorry, I have no idea what players currently support these tags, apart from iTunes.

I would add that I applaud and support any attempts to form a standard which helps in the tagging of Classical music.
                            Totally agree about the standards.

I read it, that those tags are solely for compatibility with iTunes, from 12.5, but not sure if everyone is seeing it like that. A colleague was asking how Works and Movements were applicable to the Sonos: I didn't believe they were.

Comment

• KOTA
                              • Aug 2017

Maybe your CD is not in the AccurateRip database.

What do you mean by can not rip today, exactly? Please can post the exact error message, if there is one?
                              From the result I could rip it.
                              I thought that I could not rip because I got out as "not in accurate Rip".
                              Thank you for your reply.

Comment

• mville
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2008

I read it, that those tags are solely for compatibility with iTunes, from 12.5, but not sure if everyone is seeing it like that. A colleague was asking how Works and Movements were applicable to the Sonos: I didn't believe they were.
                                Ah! So, I think you are saying that there are some users of the Illustrate software that are now aware of the new Classical tags adopted by Illustrate, but don't know if/how they might affect/apply to their server/player software. Is this what you mean?

Comment

Working...

]]>