title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Sorting last name, first name from First name last name

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novicetreat
    • Jan 2017

Sorting last name, first name from First name last name

Hello all
    Can anybody tell me if db poweramp (ultimately using the NAIM app) can sort composers by last name, first name - and the same with Album Artists and Artists
    eg
    Composer - John Smith but I want him to appear under Smith, John in the composer view of my NAIM app or
    Album Artist - Herbert von Karajan I want him to appear under Karajan, Herbert von in artist view in the NAIM app

So in album view I see Herbert von Karajan but in artist / conductor / Album Artist etc view I look under K for Karajan, Herbert von

Is thyere a setting to enable this or should I enter them last name, first name?

Help please
    Thanks
    paul
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Sorting last name, first name from First name last name

In the past you would populate:
    album artist = The Beatles
    artist = The Beatles
    composer = John Lennon; Paul McCartney

and players would display and sort on these tags.

More recently, sort tags have been introduced and decent players will support and sort on these tags
    album artist sort = Beatles, The
    artist sort = Beatles, The
    composersort = Lennon, John; McCartney, Paul

while displaying the corresponding album artist, artist and composer tag data.

So, for album artist and artist listings, The Beatles will appear under B and for composer listings John Lennon will appear under L and Paul McCartney will apperar under M.

This works well, but if you prefer to have Beatles, The displayed instead of The Beatles or Lennon, John displayed instead of John Lennon and McCartney, Paul displayed instead of Paul McCartney then you would have to populate artist and album artist with Beatles, The and composer with Lennon, John; McCartney, Paul.

Comment

• Novicetreat
      • Jan 2017

Hello
      Thanks for the info but can you help me further please?

Where do I go to set the sort orders to do these things please? Do I set them in dbpoweramp, upnp asset, my NAIM app or where please?

Thanks
      Paul

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

You populate sort tags in CDRipper before ripping or add/edit them post-ripping using Edit ID-Tag or other 3rd party tagging software. dBpoweramp Music Converter supports many sort tags and these are discussed in detail in these forums.

To configure how Asset UPnP handles sort tags go to:
        Asset UPnP Configuration >> Advanced Settings

Regarding the NAIM app, I have no idea whether sort tags are supported. You would have to check the NAIM help documentation and/or NAIM forums.

Comment

Working...

]]>