title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Slow / Inconsistent Conversion Speeds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicmafia
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2008

Slow / Inconsistent Conversion Speeds

I'm converting FLAC files to VBR MP3 and some convert at 200x (YEAH BABY!) and some convert at less than 1x.

I'm converting about 8 to 10 files at a time. ALL files are from the same source (4TB ext drive via USB3) and all are going to the same destination (internal 2TB drive).

I'm using Windows 7 OS and my AV is ESET which already has dbpoweramp excluded.

Any reason why some convert at lightning speed and others a snail pace?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Slow / Inconsistent Conversion Speeds

Whilst some are converting slow, you are able to see the other cores converting fast?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Jailhouse
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2016

Try copying your source files to the PC before converting. USB connections are sometimes wonky for this kind of application. As are NAS boxes -- to wit:

I've just started converting my Beatport AIFF files to FLAC. There is a noticeable, but not terribly long, lag before conversion starts when the source files are on my NAS; three or four files at a time on three different occasions converted at about 300-350x. I was not unhappy. But when I copied seven files to my PC's data drive (for pre-retagging as a "compilation album" without altering the originals), conversion started almost immediately and finished in two seconds, resulting in a conversion speed of 757x. Zam! Unless I'm working with only a single file, I'm going to copy source files to the PC prior to conversion from here on out.
      Last edited by Jailhouse; 03-24-2017, 08:59 PM. Reason: rewording

Comment

• musicmafia
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
        Whilst some are converting slow, you are able to see the other cores converting fast?
        No, either the the whole batch (usually 8 or 10 files) converts fast (200x) or the whole batch converts slow (1x).

Comment

• musicmafia
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2008

Is there any other info I can provide. This is driving me crazy. All files are same type from same location. Can't figure out why it's either lightning or quicksand.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You would have to remove programs which might be getting in the way, to test it is not them, that means uninstall All security software and any firewall, anti malware, etc.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by musicmafia
              either the the whole batch (usually 8 or 10 files) converts fast (200x) or the whole batch converts slow (1x).
              When the batch converts at 1x, open the task manager and check what other processes are running.

Comment

Working...

]]>