title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Batch Converting AIFF file to Wav Files for DJing purposes - Best way to do

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart75
    • Mar 2017

Batch Converting AIFF file to Wav Files for DJing purposes - Best way to do

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me with this please?

I am about to receive 1200 AIFF files on a DVDs with relevant metadata stored.

I need to use these files on a CD/ DJ system but from what I can see you cannot use Aiff files in a CD player (Please correct me If i am wrong!)

I believe I need to convert them to WAV (like my existing collection) but I have been reading about additional codecs etc and I am a bit confused and want to get the process right first time as I need to use them this Saturday!

The AIFF files are all 1411 bit rate. Could anyone give me a quick guide on the best way to convert ( i think i need to use the mp3 converter) maintaining the bit rate and if possible the metadata / tags etc?

I am using windows 7 FYI.

Many thanks in advance!
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Batch Converting AIFF file to Wav Files for DJing purposes - Best way to do

Check the CD/DJ system specification. That will tell you what disc formats it reads e.g. CD-DA, CD-R, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R etc. and what file formats it reads e.g. flac, wav, aiff, mp3 etc.

Then you can decide what file format to convert to (if it does not support aiff) and on what disc format you can put these files.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

If the CD/DJ system only reads CD-DA and/or CD-R, you won't get many wav files on a CD, so you might want to consider converting to another format. But, as I stated previously, you will need to know what file format the system will read.

Comment

• Stuart75
        • Mar 2017

Thanks mville,

The system i have at home only plays MP3's, CD's CD-R and WAV files. ( NUMARK CDN88, its fairly old )

I understand I wont get many on a CD using WAV but wanted to get the best sound quality.

I thought a WAV file would be better quality than an MP3

If I were to convert from AIFF to MP3, would they be of the same quality sound as a WAV file?

Many thanks

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

The wav format is lossless, mp3 is lossy, so yes, the wav file format is better quality than mp3.

However, you can still convert to mp3 (with quality -V 1 or higher) and it is debatable whether anyone will perceive any loss in quality and will give you smaller file sizes.

Why not try it on a single aiff, convert it to wav and then mp3 (with quality -V 1 or higher) and have a listen to both?

Comment

• Stuart75
            • Mar 2017

Thanks mville. I will check and see if there is a difference but will probably stick with WAV's. (out of the 1200 i will only probably want 100 to 150 tracks so can fit on 10 to 15 CD's)

Assuming I end up Converting to WAV. I think it would be the uncompressed option. Would I leave the bit rate, sample rate and chanels as source?

Many thanks

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart75
              Thanks mville. I will check and see if there is a difference but will probably stick with WAV's. (out of the 1200 i will only probably want 100 to 150 tracks so can fit on 10 to 15 CD's)
              I would definitely try the mp3 test, as I think you'll be surprised with the quality. Remember also that Club PA systems are not designed for audiophiles.

Assuming I end up Converting to WAV. I think it would be the uncompressed option. Would I leave the bit rate, sample rate and chanels as source?
              If you want the wav files to match the aiff source files, then yes. I assume the aiff files are 16-bit, 44.1kHz?

Comment

• Stuart75
                • Mar 2017

Thanks mville.

I do not know the bit rate and khz. I will let you know when I get the disc tomorrow.

All I do know is that they are 1411 bit rate AIFF's and copied directly from a CD.

Comment

• Stuart75
                  • Mar 2017

It says the sample rate is 44100

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

It says the sample rate is 44100
                    Audio CDs (CD-DA) are always 16-bit, 44.1kHz (44100Hz) and as you say, the aiff files are copied from CD, so this is as expected.

Comment

Working...

]]>