title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Best sound quality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Best sound quality

Originally posted by Souljatag
    There was no replaygain tags on the flac files and i test both of the flac files
    and knew which one that was converted from nch software vs dbpoweramp and i did hear quite a difference from both of them
    me and mfaoro obviously think xld and nch software is making the flac sound more pleasing but we all have different ears. lol
    This has nothing to do with different ears. What you're suggesting, assuming FLAC files are properly created and are bit perfect, is that 2+2 doesn't equal 4 depending on who is doing the calculation. The data mville asked for will help us get to the bottom of this.

Comment

• Souljatag
      • Feb 2017

I'm not sure how to do that but here are two flac files tagless btw
      one convert from dbpoweramp
      the other from audiozilla i'm really not trying bad mouth dbpoweramp
      but these other audio conversion software just seem to be more high quality!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If your flac files are bit identical and you can hear differences then either:

The player is faulty at decoding flac
        It is placebo and you need to do blind listening tests.
        Last edited by Spoon; 03-02-2017, 03:27 PM.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

I'm not sure how to do that but here are two flac files tagless btw

http://bit.ly/2lu4Bt4
          Here is the output from Calculate Audio CRC utility codec, for the 2 files in question:
          CRC32 MD5 Filename
          52F50EB7 C8AE9AD6ECFF8A10C85051B8B2B62B46 C:\01. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough Audiozilla.flac
          52F50EB7 C8AE9AD6ECFF8A10C85051B8B2B62B46 C:\01. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough Dbpoweramp.flac

and it is as I thought. The audio is confirmed as identical. On playback in foobar2000, they sound identical.

... FYI, the file sizes differ, so I assume different compression levels were used during the flac creation.
          Last edited by mville; 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

here are two flac files tagless btw
            What hardware/software are you playing the files with?

Comment

• Souljatag
              • Feb 2017

i figure out a way how to make the conversion files be high quality in the meantime on dbpoweramp windows version
              just copy and paste this libsndfile file in the encoder folder http://www118.zippyshare.com/v/isbUMjI6/file.html
              let me know if i'm onto something or not lol just thought it was a suggestion

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp would not use any dlls you paste into its folder.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
                  dBpoweramp would not use any dlls you paste into its folder.
                  This is a good example of the unconscious biases we all bring to comparisons we make (and why ABX tests are important in comparing sound quality). The OP makes a change that he thinks makes a difference and the sound quality perception improves. When in fact, this is a placebo as dbpa doesn't use the change in any way. The OP shouldn't feel bad however: such unconscious biases have been regularly exhibited in many, many rigorous academic studies, including situations where experts are making decisions within their own expertise domain.

Comment

• Souljatag
                    • Feb 2017

garym if you think the conversion quality is superb and doesn't need a improvement then okay
                    with that being said i will leave it alone

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

garym if you think the conversion quality is superb and doesn't need a improvement then okay
                      with that being said i will leave it alone
                      It's not simply what I think. The typical dbpa conversion is bit perfect compared to many other rips in the AccurateRip database. It's based on science and engineering facts. The two files you posted are bit perfect duplicates of each other with regard to audio content. So no difference there. And your reported "improvement" based on dropping a dll file in a dbpa directory is obviously based on a well-documented perceptual bias, as the resulting file is *actually* produced from the standard dbpa software. These are facts, not opinions. I apologize if you take my comments as being antagonistic. They are not meant to be. You've made an extraordinary claim and thus the burden of proof is on you as the maker of the claim.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

i figure out a way how to make the conversion files be high quality in the meantime on dbpoweramp windows version
                        just copy and paste this libsndfile file in the encoder folder http://www118.zippyshare.com/v/isbUMjI6/file.html
                        let me know if i'm onto something or not lol just thought it was a suggestion
                        No, your not onto something. Your perception of higher quality is what it is, your perception and although your opinion is valid, it does not make it fact, so please stop posting this nonsense to support your earlier claims.

I am getting fed up with the sort of misinformation that has been posted in this thread, without valid evidence/reasoning/argument to back up such claims.
                        Last edited by mville; 03-07-2017, 02:09 AM. Reason: cos I'm fed up

Comment

• Souljatag
                          • Feb 2017

I Thought libsndfile was doing some tinker
                          to the quality but anyways i could careless about it altogether cause i am fed up as well so this the last thing i will say
                          the quality is okay but not the best! that's my opinion!

Comment

• Dat Ei
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Feb 2014

the quality is okay but not the best!
                            It has been proved that the digital audio data are bitwise identical. So what do you think can be better or worse? I've thought bits are just binary - 0 or 1, not good or bad.

If the input data is identical, how can the output be different, if we assume the same audio system? The weakest part of that audio chain is the human ear, which is prone to psychological tricks and effects.

For me it is nothing more than hoodoo voodoo...

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>