title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Version 16 no longer "remembers" local cache after ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d2b
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2010

Version 16 no longer "remembers" local cache after ripping

This is a big problem for us. Once we've filled out all of the fields in CD Ripper and ripped the CD, placing the CD back into the tray for whatever reason results in the loss of all of the tags we've either added or corrected the first time around. This was a problem back in the day but it was corrected at some point in time during the Version 15 release.

Sometimes it's necessary or convenient to remove the CD before it is completely ripped to check it for blemishes or to switch CD trays in order to fix a ripping problem with one or more tracks. Sometimes it's also necessary to re-rip the CD to another format later on. In any of these cases, losing all of the added or corrected metadata is unacceptable.

Please fix this ASAP.

"d2b" aka Dennis....
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Version 16 no longer "remembers" local cache after ripping

Try deleting the cache file, in %appdata% dbpoweramp
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2010

I did delete the cache file, but the recall from cache is inconsistent and often does not work. Sometimes it's fine and yet other times it goes back to PerfectMeta and ignores what should have been in the cache.

I noticed that in the list of active providers, the local cache is listed below the PerfectMeta (Intelligent Lookup) and reasoning that there might be a priority scheme in place, I unchecked the PefectMeta item and refreshed the metadata. Lo and behold, I got very different results but not what should have been in the local cache.

Switching drives on the same PC used to always work properly. That is, the cache information was retrieved and I could use the second drive to successfully re-rip tracks that might have failed when ripping on the first drive. That's not always the case. I've been switching back and forth trying to finish ripping a particularly troublesome CD, and the cache recall is only successful a portion of the time.

This problem is especially aggravating when working on a 21–track album with multiple composers on each track.

Having complained about these problems, I can only say that I'm VERY inclined to upgrade to version 15.3 where everything worked as expected, including the user interface which now seems to have been cobbled up for no good reason.

Is there a fix for the local cache issue? Oh, and by the way, Rip Status is also an element that doesn't necessarily reappear when reinserting the CD after reinspecting it for blemishes or reinserting the disc into either tray.

Dennis...aka "d2b"

Comment

• d2b
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Aug 2010

...and hitting the Refresh button just ignored the cache contents after I finally managed to finish ripping this CD!

Dennis...aka "d2b"

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Refresh would ignore the cache, you are asking it to refresh the metadata from the internet.

Try this test, rip a cd, then rip a 2nd cd, reinsert the first cd, are the accuraterip results populated?
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Aug 2010

Yes, after adding tags to two CDs and ripping them in succession, the correct metadata was retrieved when reinserting the first CD. This was true for both CD drives.

that said, we must not lose the added metadata if we have to remove the CD to reinspect it or to move it to another drive after one or more unsuccessful attempts to rip the entire album. This has not always been possible with version 16.

Dennis ... aka "d2b"

Comment

Working...

]]>