title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Accurate rip; secure rip; two original disks and two different drives.

Accurate rip; secure rip; two original disks and two different drives.

The situation - I purchased the 11 disk Time Life set titled Singers and Songwriters on ebay. The set was new - still in shrink wrap.

When I ripped the disks to .flac and .mp3 two of the disks went to ultra-secure rip with my internal drive after the first two songs and would never go to completion.

I then tried to rip the disks with and external drive and ran into the same problems - the first track or two would rip accurately and then no go - so I moved to a laptop that I disconnected from my network and the disks ripped. I contacted the seller and she actually sent me a whole new set - she must have purchased dozens and dozens.

The new set displayed the same behavior so I just ripped them on my external drive but connected to the internet and the first disk ripped as secure as did the second BUT no songs were marked accurate only secure.

So my question is - what does it mean?

Is it possible that Time Life made a bunch of sets of these songs where two disk were bad?

Or does it men my internal drive is bad? This drive has performed like a champ with all other CDs (more than 1200 disks ripped and all accurate) with the exception of a two duplicate "Yes" cd sets (But I could see the second disk of each of the sets was partially delaminated.)

I will attach a text file for one of the CDs

And here is some additional info of interest - I use a program called Tag&Rename to work on the tags of my rips and to verify the rips against data from "Freedb" and what is really puzzling is that the first disk I ripped from the new set reported as OK (identifiable/tag-able) on Freedb but the second disk which I have attached the report text file from cd ripper to this message did not report as identifiable from Freedb.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator

Re: Accurate rip; secure rip; two original disks and two different drives.

>Is it possible that Time Life made a bunch of sets of these songs where two disk were bad?

Possibly, you can try playing the disc in a normal cd player.

It is likely that some cd drives could rip that disc, but finding those drives would not be easy.

Try setting ripping speed to 4X (lowest setting).

I've a couple of CDs, out of a couple hundred, that go to ultra-secure for specific tracks (no scratches, etc on disc). I changed ripping speed from Max to 4X and the songs ripped just fine.

I've ripped discs since on max speed w/o issue, so my drive is fine. Just something weird with those specific CDs.

Thanks for the thoughts - I will try these suggestions