title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

merging double/boxsets into 1 folder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

Re: merging double/boxsets into 1 folder

Originally posted by mville
    It is possible to Rip all tracks for a single multi-CD Album in a single folder. In fact, that is how I organise my albums, 1 folder per album.

This is possible, but you would need to embed the artwork in each file, rather than have 5 individual jpg files within the folder.
    Is this done by Importing different Cd artwork via MP3 TAG..?? Track by track..?

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by daleyb
      Is this done by Importing different Cd artwork via MP3 TAG..?? Track by track..?
      Yes, you can use MP3Tag and you can select multiple tracks rather than track by track.

Comment

• daleyb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2014

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

UPDATE pt.2 : Got all files/tracks merging together now nicely into ONE folder.However, when the above naming string I notice it creates 2 folders (is this whats meant by sub directory..?) So after rip in one Folder has artist Title Then after opening, get another folder with title of cd then after opening get my rips/tracks cd......

Thats O.K. but I dont need 2 folders.I only end up creating 1 new Folder re-naming, copy/pasting my Files into that folder - Then deleting old folders.

Any way of just getting Rips/tracks into one folder.Job Done. ?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

UPDATE pt.2 : Got all files/tracks merging together now nicely into ONE folder.However, when the above naming string I notice it creates 2 folders (is this whats meant by sub directory..?) So after rip in one Folder has artist Title Then after opening, get another folder with title of cd then after opening get my rips/tracks cd......

Thats O.K. but I dont need 2 folders.I only end up creating 1 new Folder re-naming, copy/pasting my Files into that folder - Then deleting old folders.

Any way of just getting Rips/tracks into one folder.Job Done. ?
          By two folders do you mean under the album folder there is a folder called "Disc 1" containing all the tracks from disk 1 and "Disc 2" containing all the tracks from disk 2, etc? That's what that naming string does. Are you saying you don't want separate folders for each disk underneath the album name (you want all the tracks from all the multi disks in the single album folder? If so, how do you want the tracks numbered (in the file names): 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.02 or 101,102,103,201,202,203, etc.? And if there is a single disk to the album, do you want the file name to start with 01, 02, 03, etc. or do you want to use disk number even here (ie., 1.01, 1.02, etc.)

Comment

• daleyb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by garym
            By two folders do you mean under the album folder there is a folder called "Disc 1" containing all the tracks from disk 1 and "Disc 2" containing all the tracks from disk 2, etc? That's what that naming string does. Are you saying you don't want separate folders for each disk underneath the album name (you want all the tracks from all the multi disks in the single album folder? If so, how do you want the tracks numbered (in the file names): 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.02 or 101,102,103,201,202,203, etc.? And if there is a single disk to the album, do you want the file name to start with 01, 02, 03, etc. or do you want to use disk number even here (ie., 1.01, 1.02, etc.)
            The Disc1. Disc2, I may use for a Multi box set And can understand why that may be useful. But Iam just talking of Simply One CD here. Heres piccy of what I currently get...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[13].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	293160Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[14].jpg
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	293161Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[18]Thumbnail.jpg
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	293162

If I have many (different) CDS by one artist I get that putting them all in one folder is what some folk do. (I guess each of us organises folders/music in different ways..) but For example I dont have One Folder for Miles Davis Then put all his CDS in it. I have " Jazz - Male" Folder and put his albums in that and anyone else who does Jazz and you guessed it, whos Male..

Jazz-Male > Miles Davis-Kind of Blue...Then all other jazz male artists in "Jazz Male" Folder.

Comment

• daleyb
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2014

P.S... I Don't really have any issues with numbering.. I have 01, 02 etc.. set in pad/track options, I then use number wizard in MP3 tAG And change to 1/1, 1/2, Etc.. I Dont know why really, its just a habit Ive got into.I think my Squeezebox sorts that that out either way..(But unsure how another streamer would read things...)

Although the idea of putting a Multi-disc into 2 folders appeals to me.i.e:

Artist - 5 Original Albums> Then 5 Albums Showing after opening...(with correct Artwork for each album)...into ONE folder /Or then putting them into 5 Individual folders (Making 6 folders)

Comment

• daleyb
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2014

P.S... I Don't really have any issues with numbering.. I have 01, 02 etc.. set in pad/track options, I then use number wizard in MP3 tAG And change to 1/1, 1/2, Etc.. I Dont know why really, its just a habit Ive got into.I think my Squeezebox sorts that that out either way..(But unsure how another streamer would read things...)

Although the idea of putting a Multi-disc into 2 folders appeals to me.i.e:

Artist - 5 Original Albums> Then 5 Albums Showing after opening...(with correct Artwork for each album)...into ONE folder /Or then putting them into 5 Individual folders (Making 6 folders)
                UPDATE.pt.3.:

CORRECTION: I do (Well did) Have a problem with Numbering....Before the purchase of a Streamer my Naming String was Just [Artist] [Title].....This has resulted in No Numbers in Certain views in Streamer/ Squeeze Controller.Instead I get the album tracks in Alphabetical naming order.I doubt theres an easy way to correct this in ID TAG/ OR mp3 tag (If there is let me know)

Theres no way Iam ripping over a 1000 CDS AGAIN. !!!

the good news is my next 600 Cds and anymore will/should be Fine..

Comment

• daleyb
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2014

Please note: its only "music folder" (my folders on my computer..) that theres no Numbers.Viewing Artist/album/new music on Squeezebox/controller the numbers run perfect...This will now be corrected.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

The Disc1. Disc2, I may use for a Multi box set And can understand why that may be useful. But Iam just talking of Simply One CD here. Heres piccy of what I currently get...
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]995[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]997[/ATTACH]

If I have many (different) CDS by one artist I get that putting them all in one folder is what some folk do. (I guess each of us organises folders/music in different ways..) but For example I dont have One Folder for Miles Davis Then put all his CDS in it. I have " Jazz - Male" Folder and put his albums in that and anyone else who does Jazz and you guessed it, whos Male..

Jazz-Male > Miles Davis-Kind of Blue...Then all other jazz male artists in "Jazz Male" Folder.
                    In that case, try this. (and this assumes "Jazz-Male" is what you've used as the GENRE tag value:
                    [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]-[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

UPDATE.pt.3.:

CORRECTION: I do (Well did) Have a problem with Numbering....Before the purchase of a Streamer my Naming String was Just [Artist] [Title].....This has resulted in No Numbers in Certain views in Streamer/ Squeeze Controller.Instead I get the album tracks in Alphabetical naming order.I doubt theres an easy way to correct this in ID TAG/ OR mp3 tag (If there is let me know)

Theres no way Iam ripping over a 1000 CDS AGAIN. !!!

the good news is my next 600 Cds and anymore will/should be Fine..
                      yes, easy to fix this naming in either ID TAG in dbpa or mp3tag. For example in mp3tag, you'd: CONVERT > tag to filename, and use the format string of:

$num(%track%,2) - %title%
                      (if you want it to be: 01 - title of track.flac)

or
                      $num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%
                      (if you want it to be: 01 - title of track - name of artist.flac)

etc. You can then fix all the names in 1000s of files with a couple of mouse clicks in a singe batch. Obviously, test it on a few albums first.

Comment

• daleyb
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2014

yes, easy to fix this naming in either ID TAG in dbpa or mp3tag. For example in mp3tag, you'd: CONVERT > tag to filename, and use the format string of:

$num(%track%,2) - %title%
                        (if you want it to be: 01 - title of track.flac)

or
                        $num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%
                        (if you want it to be: 01 - title of track - name of artist.flac)

etc. You can then fix all the names in 1000s of files with a couple of mouse clicks in a singe batch. Obviously, test it on a few albums first.
                        Pheeww ! Thanks for that garym your a life saver. Tried it and now folders have number listing.The Only thing Iam unsure about is your string . at present its: track number/track title /artist...
                        However, in my menu on Squeezebox/controller... the "NEW MUSIC"/ ARTISTS./ALBUMS Options always open has :

Number/Artist/track title...

Iam Sure you can change the string to have this (What would you recommend.?) I am sure its personnel to each and all.In some ways its nice to see tracks first esp. on a small device like a Phone...You've got the Artist sorted when you select album, So maybe its best to see the tracks first...

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Pheeww ! Thanks for that garym your a life saver. Tried it and now folders have number listing.The Only thing Iam unsure about is your string . at present its: track number/track title /artist...
                          However, in my menu on Squeezebox/controller... the "NEW MUSIC"/ ARTISTS./ALBUMS Options always open has :

Number/Artist/track title...

Iam Sure you can change the string to have this (What would you recommend.?) I am sure its personnel to each and all.In some ways its nice to see tracks first esp. on a small device like a Phone...You've got the Artist sorted when you select album, So maybe its best to see the tracks first...
                          i'm confused as to how your files are organized/showing now that you've added track numbers. Your example above doesn't make sense to me. Give me an example with actual real info as that might be easier to follow.

edit: give me an example of what it looks like now and then what you want it to look like. The above organization you show is NOT what I would have expected the outcome to be from the commands I gave you. nothing I gave you created subdirectories for track number.
                          Last edited by garym; 07-24-2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Hi daleyb,

Thanks to this thread, I have revisited my naming scheme, where I had been manually using number offset, to order my compilations from 101, 201 etc. in a single folder. Having ignored the advice of Spoon, mville and garym (amongst others!), I've changed my naming scheme, and based it on what garym suggested a year ago!

Apart from saving a lot of time, but not learning as much in the process, I would suggest that for the majority of folks, excepting Classical, on which you can write a book on potential naming schemes, minor tweaks to a scheme like garym's, will work (yes, it works) for the vast majority of people, on the vast majority of (all?) devices.

What I have belatedly realised in recent months, is as long as you fill the appropriate tags in, year, genre (Male Jazz, if you want) apart from personal preference on how you want the folders / sub folders to show on your storage device, NOT your player, then the variations are mostly irrelevant!

I guess the clues were there when garym said, "I use ...", or "here is my naming scheme!" What I didn't have the experience to understand, is how deceptively clever his naming is, keeping typing and changes (potential errors!) down to a minimum, and working for single artists, multiple artists and compilations, with single and multiple discs.

As for merging doubles and multis into a single folder, it does! Just with Disc sub folders.

I am now even using sub folders of Disc 1, Disc 2 etc. because it makes perfect sense, keeps the same structure as single discs, AND, (as I was told a year ago!) as long as you populate, or check the 1/2, 2/2, which is often correct, and keep the album / artist name consistent (cut and paste works well here on complex titles), garym's (and others) naming scheme, does all the work for you, and will work on Logitech, Sonos, Linn, Naim, Mission etc. and I guess make life easier for PerfectTunes.

Spoon, mville, garym and others who have helped along the way, once again a big thank you for your patience and advice - it only took me a year to heed it!
                            Last edited by Oggy; 07-25-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• daleyb
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2014

i'm confused as to how your files are organized/showing now that you've added track numbers. Your example above doesn't make sense to me. Give me an example with actual real info as that might be easier to follow.

edit: give me an example of what it looks like now and then what you want it to look like. The above organization you show is NOT what I would have expected the outcome to be from the commands I gave you. nothing I gave you created subdirectories for track number.
                              My Apologies garym, but re-reading my own thread, think We've got our wires (strings) Crossed!.
                              When I referred to to string , I meant CONVERT>TAG-FILENAME (Format string in MP3 tAG)

"$num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%" NOT the naming string IN DBPA.. (not tried adding the Genre "Jazz Male" Idea yet..)

I was just saying that the above Format string in mp3 tag gives :Number-track title-artist.
                              But in Album, New Music, Artist in my squeeze box Menu its. Number-Artist- Track title.

Maybe due to me using just [Artist] [Track] In DBPA naming string,Before realising that wasnt covering it all after buying streamer and *seeing* what was there and why i needed it!
                              Last edited by daleyb; 07-25-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

My Apologies garym, but re-reading my own thread, think We've got our wires (strings) Crossed!.
                                When I referred to to string , I meant CONVERT>TAG-FILENAME (Format string in MP3 tAG)

"$num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%" NOT the naming string IN DBPA.. (not tried adding the Genre "Jazz Male" Idea yet..)

I was just saying that the above Format string in mp3 tag gives :Number-track title-artist.
                                But in Album, New Music, Artist in my squeeze box Menu its. Number-Artist- Track title.

Maybe due to me using just [Artist] [Track] In DBPA naming string,Before realising that wasnt covering it all after buying streamer and *seeing* what was there and why i needed it!
                                the name you're getting in the mp3tag string is for the FILE NAME. What you're seeing in Squeezebox is from the file metadata tags. These are two different things. But clarify what you're looking at in squeezebox menu. in the webGUI for LMS? on the TOUCH screen? or ???? There are options within LMS as to what to show in LMS/Squeezebox. Maybe something you've set there. But again, don't confuse file names with metadata.

Comment

Working...

]]>