title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting files freezes my whole system

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Converting files freezes my whole system

Hey,

I've tried using dMC to convert filetypes and my whole system freezes after a somewhat random amount of time, anywhere from 2-10 minutes I'd say. I've tried converting from MP3 to OGG, MP3 to WAV, WAV to MP3, WAV to OGG, it doesn't seem to matter what format I'm using or changing to. I've scanned my computer for viruses and spyware to see if something else was interfering, but I couldn't find anything. I'm usually pretty good about keeping my system clean.

Here are my specs:

Windows XP w/SP1
    Athlon 2400+
    512 megs RAM
    SB Audigy

I read through the other posts here and the only one similar one I found, the problem was blamed on overheating. I'm almost certain this isn't the case, as I frequently do batch Xvid encodes that will run all night, plus a lot of 3D games, stuff that taxes my components pretty well.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
  • yjjeepinmike

Re: Converting files freezes my whole system

I just started experiencing the same problem on my system. I works fine on my old 400mhz laptop, but locks up my 733mhz dell gx110 tower. They are both running xp. It will lock up if I try to do a 'batch' of files using file selector almost instantly. If I do the files one by one by right clicking, it will lock up randomly after the first few. I too read about the overheating processor, and it would make sense that it was the problem. I also do some gameing, and have trouble with lockups on occasion, but Im almost positive its the video. I currently have 9a, and will upgrade to 10. I will also check out the processor temp.
    The tower is my primary machine, and dont want to have to move the music to the laptop to convert!!!
    Any insite would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

To the first guy, because so many formats cause it then I don't think it could realistically be a bug in the program, also no program should be able to lockup windows xp - CTRL + ALT delete should always work. Perhaps look at drivers for everything on your system make sure they are the latest version.

2nd Guy - first stop check the temperature.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

(1st guy)

My drivers are all pretty recent. I find it unusual that nothing else locks up if my system is at fault. What sort of resources would dMC tap anyway besides the CPU and RAM?

Comment

• Unregistered

(1st guy again)

Well I did a fresh format of my hard drive, reinstalled windows, ran a virus scanner immeditately found issues, then got a firewall up, started getting attack reports immediately and virus scanned the whole thing agian. I have a residential shield up now too and it detected 2 virus in the system volume information while I was sleeping. In any even, dMC is working fine now, so it looks like the problem WAS on my end. Sorry if I came across like a jerk about it.

Comment

• Unregistered

I have the same problem.
            While converting MP3 (160K) into MP3 (128K) it randomly freezes whole system (Win 98SE, AMD 900).
            When the system freezes the only way to re-start is to switch off the PC. CTRL-ALT-DEL does not work/re-start.
            I have re-installed Win98SE - does not help.
            Any idea?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I think it could be a hardware problem, overheating, etc.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• baldrick2dogs
                • Jul 2005

Whilst my whole system doesn't freeze, since I installed dbpoweramp Internet Explorer, Outlook, and MS word all lock up. Using Windows 2000 Pro and office 2000. :( Of course, I am using my office PC for this
                Last edited by baldrick2dogs; 07-09-2005, 08:47 AM. Reason: missed a bit!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Did you install while logged in as admin? Are you using dBpowerAMP while logged in as admin?

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                    I think it could be a hardware problem, overheating, etc.
                    All PCs should be assumed to be broken, hardware wise, unless and until they can run memtest86 (www.memtest86.com, iirc) for at least 8 hours, and can run the prime95 (www.mersenne.org) torture tests as well. Once they can run memtest, it's almost worth installing an OS on the hardware. Once they can run prime95, it's worth installing some real applications.

If they start acting flakey when the weather turns warm, take the side off the case and point a desk fan at the innards. If that cures the problem, then revisit case ventilation (&/or clean the dust & cr&p out of the CPU HS).

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Errr.... and if they can't run those tests successfully .... shall we say they might have just been fried as a result? :D :p

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                        Errr.... and if they can't run those tests successfully .... shall we say they might have just been fried as a result? :D :p
                        Not 'as a result', no. You can say they were broken systems to start with (Cheap RAM being the usual culprit, cheap PSUs right behind), and it isn't worth wasting time trying to run soemthing complicated (which will fall over in strange and interesting ways) if something simple (like memtest or prime95) won't run.

First rule of debugging - produce the error in as simple environment as possible.
                        'It locked up' with 300 processes running, 3 hard drives, 2 GB of RAM, 6 USB devices, 2 network adapters, and 3 optical drives, is a PITA to debug. 'Won't pass memtest' (with one floppy drive plugged in) is ever so much easier to fault find. 8>.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

I'm scared to try memtest - in case my system won't pass it and it ends up fried, despite everything else generally working just fine - that's why I was asking :D

If it's only a diagnostic tool, fine - but if the outcome can be meltdown... ugh, thanks, but, no, thanks :D

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

The outcome of memtest isn't meltdown, it'll just spout out a list of errors, that's all.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

OK, remember you are going to have me on your conscience if any of it goes awry :D

Comment

Working...

]]>