title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming is set to 'bandname, the' but i prefer ' The bandname'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BarFly
    • May 2016

Naming is set to 'bandname, the' but i prefer ' The bandname'

Hello,

working for a while with dbpoweramp and now my first* post/question - that shows it is working pretty well
    Like i wrote in the title i prefer the real Bandname - for example 'The Beatles' instead of 'Beatles, The'.
    The tagging, delivered by the FreeDB (or the others) databases usually is in the 'Beatles, The' form.
    Is there a way to automate the changing?
    I store my files folder oriented - in this way:
    Drive:\'Music'\'Bandname'\ 'Bandname - Albumtitle'\ _ Example: X:\Music\The Beatles\Help
    Till now, i just ripped the CDs from single bands and it was a thing of seconds to change that, but now i'm going to rip samplers, for example 'Motown, Atlantic Records etc. And changing any single name is a lot of work/time.

Ciao Hans

* I'm Hans from Stuttgart/Germany, over 60 years of Age and have still around 150 Sampler/Best Of etc. CDs to rip. Because i'm not retired yet, time is a point to consider
  • BarFly
    • May 2016

Re: Naming is set to 'bandname, the' but i prefer ' The bandname'

Hello,

maybe i found a solution here:
    Is there any way with Batch Converter to swap in an Artist ID tag "First Name Last Name" to "Last Name First name", e.g., "Riccardo Chailly" to "Chailly Riccardo"? With more than 1500 albums it would be very hard to do this manually.

If there is no solution build into dbpoweramp, then it is probably faster to rip all the CDs and make a second run to change the band names with MP3Tag

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

The naming goes off ID Tags, so they need fixing first. If you run PerfectTUNES open the ID Tag program, it will allow you to change all the tracks for a single artist with one edit.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BarFly
        Like i wrote in the title i prefer the real Bandname - for example 'The Beatles' instead of 'Beatles, The'.
        The tagging, delivered by the FreeDB (or the others) databases usually is in the 'Beatles, The' form.
        Is there a way to automate the changing?
        Strange as I have ripped many Beatles CDs in the past and I don't recall the Artist and Album Artist tags from the metadata providers being set to 'Beatles, The', but perhaps I am wrong.

If the Artist and Album Artist tags and the Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort tags are not correct, I manually edit them before ripping.

Comment

• BarFly
          • May 2016

Originally posted by mville
          Strange as I have ripped many Beatles CDs in the past and I don't recall the Artist and Album Artist tags from the metadata providers being set to 'Beatles, The', but perhaps I am wrong
          Maybe 'The Beatles' are a bad example, but lately i ripped a 'The Who' and a few days back (lots of)'The Rolling Stones'. And all the metadata provider gave 'Who, The'

If the Artist and Album Artist tags and the Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort tags are not correct, I manually edit them before ripping.
          For a CD from a band it is just a couple of seconds to change it, but imagine you got a Soul sampler - The Drifters, The Coasters, The Temptations, or worse a Punk sampler, where morem or less any Band is a 'The' band
          Actually i'm ripping a sampler from Atlantic Records ('57-'61-Vol4?) where about 50% of the Songs come from a 'The' band.
          And like i wrote in the first post - looking over any song for correct writing and changing the names, thats pretty time consuming, when you got around 150+ sampler CDs

The naming goes off ID Tags, so they need fixing first. If you run PerfectTUNES open the ID Tag program, it will allow you to change all the tracks for a single artist with one edit.
          I got to look at this

Ciao Hans

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Maybe 'The Beatles' are a bad example, but lately i ripped a 'The Who' and a few days back (lots of)'The Rolling Stones'. And all the metadata provider gave 'Who, The'

For a CD from a band it is just a couple of seconds to change it, but imagine you got a Soul sampler - The Drifters, The Coasters, The Temptations, or worse a Punk sampler, where morem or less any Band is a 'The' band
            Actually i'm ripping a sampler from Atlantic Records ('57-'61-Vol4?) where about 50% of the Songs come from a 'The' band.
            And like i wrote in the first post - looking over any song for correct writing and changing the names, thats pretty time consuming, when you got around 150+ sampler CDs

I got to look at this

Ciao Hans
            Odd. I've ripped lots of "The Rolling Stones" and "The Who" and never had it put "Who, The" in artist tag. I wonder if there is some setting somewhere in your dynamic naming string that is telling it to use ARTISTSORT tag instead of ARTIST, or some other setting that is ticked in your dbpa. I'd check all these settings carefully as standard use should not produce, "Rolling Stones, The".

Comment

• BarFly
              • May 2016

Originally posted by garym
              Odd. I've ripped lots of "The Rolling Stones" and "The Who" and never had it put "Who, The" in artist tag. I wonder if there is some setting somewhere in your dynamic naming string that is telling it to use ARTISTSORT tag instead of ARTIST, or some other setting that is ticked in your dbpa. I'd check all these settings carefully as standard use should not produce, "Rolling Stones, The".
              Oooops!!! Thanx for mentioning this!
              And where do i change this odd behavior/settings?
              Btw. Single artists, like James Brown, never appear as Brown, James

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Oooops!!! Thanx for mentioning this!
                And where do i change this odd behavior/settings?
                Btw. Single artists, like James Brown, never appear as Brown, James
                Scratch the "dynamic naming" suggestion. This only effects the filenames themselves, not the metadata.
                Open the CD ripper program, click on options button (not the dropdown arrow but the button itself). Scroll down to the "metadata" section of the popup screen, click on "options" button next to "Metadata & ID Tag". When this opens you should see various options. Under "perfectmeta" options, make sure that the "Replace "The [artist]" with '[artist], The' is NOT ticked.

Comment

• BarFly
                  • May 2016

Hello,

Originally posted by garym
                  Scratch the "dynamic naming" suggestion. This only effects the filenames themselves, not the metadata.
                  Open the CD ripper program, click on options button (not the dropdown arrow but the button itself). Scroll down to the "metadata" section of the popup screen, click on "options" button next to "Metadata & ID Tag". When this opens you should see various options. Under "perfectmeta" options, make sure that the "Replace "The [artist]" with '[artist], The' is NOT ticked.

Thanx Garym - it works now
                  Problem solved

Ciao Hans

Comment

Working...

]]>