title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working

"Automatically Add to iTunes" not working

I am engaged in a project using dBpa CD Ripper to rip my CD collection to an iTunes library. I began about a month ago. After I installed CD Ripper or when I did the first rip -- I am not sure, a folder was added to the iTunes Media subfolder called "Automatically Add to iTunes." In dBpa settings, I set the path for the ripped data to go to this folder. I ripped about 200 albums, single disc & multi-disc, & everything was going fine. I ripped a CD & it would immediately appear with the correct tagging and art in the iTunes library. A temporary glitch did occur early on that appeared to have been caused by having iTunes open while I was ripping with CD Ripper. So, I made point to close iTunes while I as ripping. Yesterday, when I ripped two discs of a set of 8, nothing appeared in the library. In iTunes, using File --> Add File to Library, I was able to locate & import the ripped files. They appeared, as I intended, intact & in a single folder with the correct cover art. Is there anyone else who has encountered this problem & can tell me how to fix it. I have a lot of CDs to be ripped & it is a great help to have "auto add" functioning correctly.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working

dBpa's job is only to write to that special folder of yiur iTunes setup. From dBpa's point of view this folder is like any folder. So as long as you have configured dBpa to write into that folder, dBpa will do so.

The automatic import from that folder into iTunes's lib is a function of iTunes, not dBpa.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    dBpa's job is only to write to that special folder of yiur iTunes setup. From dBpa's point of view this folder is like any folder. So as long as you have configured dBpa to write into that folder, dBpa will do so.

The automatic import from that folder into iTunes's lib is a function of iTunes, not dBpa.

Dat Ei
    Dat Ei

Thank you. It had been suggested to me otherwise by an iTunes support person. I will try them again.

Following up on my post of 04/14. "Automatically Add to iTunes" is still not functioning correctly. Instead of exporting music files automatically to the iTunes library from that folder and then deleting them from the folder, as it had been doing at the outset of my ripping project & for about 200 rips, it is now retaining those files. It is necessary to manually import the files to the iTunes library & they remain in the "auto add" folder. When I manually deleted those files from the "auto add" folder, the files that were imported to iTunes disappeared & I had to rerip the cds. An iTunes tech advisor has told me that it is likely that this is happening because of incompatibility issues with iTunes and the second-party ripping software. I am skeptical. Has anyone experienced incompatibility issues ripping from dBpa to iTunes? Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Again: this is not a job of dBpa, and it has nothing to do with dBpa compatibilities. It's a problem of your iTunes setup.

I rip to the folder "Automatisch zu iTunes hinzufügen" (german installation, the equivalent to "Automatically Add to iTunes"), which is in the folder "iTunes Media". If I rip with dBpa, my dBpa setup creates a folder within "Automatisch zu iTunes hinzufügen". Don't run iTunes while you rip!!! As soon as I start iTunes, iTunes imports the new files. My iTunes setup allows iTunes to manage my audio files. During the import files are moved into iTunes folder structure.

Dat Ei

Again: this is not a job of dBpa, and it has nothing to do with dBpa compatibilities. It's a problem of your iTunes setup.

I rip to the folder "Automatisch zu iTunes hinzufügen" (german installation, the equivalent to "Automatically Add to iTunes"), which is in the folder "iTunes Media". If I rip with dBpa, my dBpa setup creates a folder within "Automatisch zu iTunes hinzufügen". Don't run iTunes while you rip!!! As soon as I start iTunes, iTunes imports the new files. My iTunes setup allows iTunes to manage my audio files. During the import files are moved into iTunes folder structure.

Dat Ei
    Again: thank you. Your description of how "Automatically Added ..." works for you accords with my own experience for the first 200 rips. The issue now is why did it stop working & how to fix it? If you will, please answer me one question: once the files have been imported to iTunes are they then deleted from the "auto add" folder? Is that what you mean when you say that "files are moved into iTunes folder structure?" I think they must be, but I am not certain. Thank you.
    Last edited by iGowanus68; 04-18-2016 at 04:27 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iGowanus68 View Post
    The issue now is why did it stop working & how to fix it?
    As long as you rip into the folder "Automatically Added ...", the answer lies in your iTunes setup. dBpa can only do and does one thing: rip into that iTunes special folder, if you setup dBpa right. Please check your destination pathes. Are the files and directories created in iTunes ""Automatically Added ..." folder?

Quote Originally Posted by iGowanus68 View Post
    If you will, please answer me one question: once the files have been imported to iTunes are they then deleted from the "auto add" folder? Is that what you mean when you say that "files are moved into iTunes folder structure?"
    At the next start iTunes detects audio files in its special folder and tries to import those. Successfully imported files will be moved into iTunes folder structure and deleted from the "Automatically Added ..." folder. Sometimes you will find empty folders after the import, which you can delete manually. Album arts will not be imported, but moved to a folder "not imported" (or something like that).

But please check if you have setup iTunes to manage your library automatically.

Dat Ei

As long as you rip into the folder "Automatically Added ...", the answer lies in your iTunes setup. dBpa can only do and does one thing: rip into that iTunes special folder, if you setup dBpa right. Please check your destination pathes. Are the files and directories created in iTunes ""Automatically Added ..." folder?

At the next start iTunes detects audio files in its special folder and tries to import those. Successfully imported files will be moved into iTunes folder structure and deleted from the "Automatically Added ..." folder. Sometimes you will find empty folders after the import, which you can delete manually. Album arts will not be imported, but moved to a folder "not imported" (or something like that).

But please check if you have setup iTunes to manage your library automatically.

Dat Ei
    Thought I would let you know the current status: I did a complete reinstallation of iTunes. On the plus side, I did not lose any ripped music. On the negative side, the problem remains. However, along the way I did learn that if iTunes is closed & I delete the "auto add" files in Windows explorer, I do not lose the ripped music from the iTunes library. So, I can prevent the files from accumulating endlessly in the folder & having to sort through them to find the latest rips. I knew that iTunes needed to be closed while ripping from dBpa, but I had not connected the dots to the other action. I am awaiting a callback from iTunes support to see whether anything else can be done. I always update when the prompt appears. Maybe I should not do that.

Bill

Administrator

Possibly iTunes does not have write permissions to that folder. (so it cannot delete the files).

Just thought I would let everybody who helped me with suggestions know that, after much poking around, I finally corrected this problem. The answer was to install an earlier version of iTunes before the update that immediately preceded the appearance of the problem. In addition, I no longer accept any update prompts from iTunes. Thanks for all your help.

Bill