title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripped tracks full of glitches/hickups, CD plays ok without problem?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripped tracks full of glitches/hickups, CD plays ok without problem?

Originally posted by mville
    It's not the drive, because, as I understand it (and correct me if I have misunderstood), the OP can rip the CD to wav fine, just not flac. It just does not make sense.
    I agree, its not the drive. I was just pointing out that the statement didn't make any sense (i.e., "couldn't be the drive because two different CDs wouldn't rip correctly")

Comment

• szhosain
      • Jun 2015

A complete SWAG: could the converter program that converts from WAV to FLAC be corrupted? Or dbpoweramp is accessing an old version of that converter somehow? Or some other tool installed a buggy version of that library?

I.e., try re-installing the latest version of the libFLAC software perhaps.

BTW, my output FLAC files from ripping say (in the "Audio Properties" of the file) the Encoder is "FLAC reference libFLAC 1.3.1 20141125". These are playing just fine ...

Z

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

We have never had a corrupt version of FLAC, not in the last 15 years, so it will not be dBpoweramp.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• szhosain
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
          We have never had a corrupt version of FLAC, not in the last 15 years, so it will not be dBpoweramp.
          I should have been clearer. What I meant was that if dBpoweramp invokes an external executable for the "??? -> FLAC" final conversion - i.e., rather than a linked-in library - perhaps that external executable file is corrupted/changed/updated in some way?

A question: does the "final" conversion from whatever initial RIP format is read in from the disc (WAV?) to a FLAC formatted file happen with an executable external to dBpoweramp?

For some reason, I assumed that this was the case ... if not, please excuse my butting in! It was a complete SWAG.

By the way, I use and like dBpoweramp a lot ... I am using it to slowly read in my CD library (around 1000 discs) and storing it onto a drive. About 15% done now and more to go.

Thanks,

Z
          Last edited by szhosain; 03-28-2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• szhosain
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by garym
            I agree, its not the drive. I was just pointing out that the statement didn't make any sense (i.e., "couldn't be the drive because two different CDs wouldn't rip correctly")
            Another question: do purchased FLAC 44.1k/16 files (i.e., from on-line sources) play fine? If not, then the audio "player" may be the source of the problem.

Z

EDIT: never mind ... I just re-read the original post ... this ain't the source of the problem.
            Last edited by szhosain; 03-28-2016, 07:16 PM. Reason: Corrected my thought.

Comment

• yosemite
              • Mar 2010

No, I don't think the FLAC library is corrupted as I have encoded countless files with the current and previous versions. Never encountered any problems except with this puppy.

Anyway...we probably won't be able to solve this. I could provide the faulty FLACs for analysis but this might be a violation of copyrights and therefore I don't think it's possible.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Please upload one to dropbox and provide the link by personal mail on this forum.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

"FLAC_uncompressed" -> the first "glitch" can be heard around approx. 2:56 - it sounds like "skipped vinyl"
                  .WAV -> ok
                  "FLAC_8" -> ok (contrary to what I posted earlier in the thread FLAC and compression level 8 is ok - no glitches)
                  I have taken your files and compared them, and they all decode identically.

The issue will be your player cannot decode flac uncompressed.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• yosemite
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Spoon

The issue will be your player cannot decode flac uncompressed.
                    First of all THANK YOU very much for taking your time and having a look into that.

So why is this the only CD with the only tracks out of 30K uncompressed FLAC files showing these symptoms? I'm still trying to understand what's the problem.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

All I can say is that flac file is valid for our and the official flac decoder. That is not to say there are not bugs in other decoders.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• yosemite
                        • Mar 2010

No, I'm not saying that it's a CD Ripper bug. And it's all good as I've work a workaround for this specific problem.

However I still don't think "The issue will be your player..." as it plays uncompressed FLAC just fine from that specific file (or files as there a more tracks with the very same problem on that disc) after being converted from a WAV file (that's been ripped with CD ripper). However a direct rip with CD ripper and uncompressed FLAC is a problem. And that's what I find strange and don't understand.

Anyway...not worth it to spend more time on this issue. Thanks for your excellent support!

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by yosemite
                          However I still don't think "The issue will be your player..." as it plays uncompressed FLAC just fine from that specific file (or files as there a more tracks with the very same problem on that disc) after being converted from a WAV file (that's been ripped with CD ripper). However a direct rip with CD ripper and uncompressed FLAC is a problem. And that's what I find strange and don't understand.
                          The uncompressed flac glitches in VLC, which if I recall, has often been reported to have issues with audio play back.

Also, you have stated it glitches in your Oppo player. Which Oppo player do you have, as I know the BDP-83/BDP-83SE does not support flac? Can you try playing the file in foobar2000?

Comment

• yosemite
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by mville
                            The uncompressed flac glitches in VLC, which if I recall, has often been reported to have issues with audio play back.

Also, you have stated it glitches in your Oppo player. Which Oppo player do you have, as I know the BDP-83/BDP-83SE does not support flac? Can you try playing the file in foobar2000?
                            Sure, VLC player might not be perfect. I'm usually only using it for quick checks.

I got an Oppo BDP-93 that is perfectly supporting FLAC (amongst many other formats).

When I find time next weekend I'll install foobar2000. I always hated it because of it's awful and outdated interface but for checking the file it'll do it.

Comment

Working...

]]>