title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMA is Encrypted?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

WMA is Encrypted?

Hi Guys,
    Im currently trying to convert WMA files to MP3..Whenever I try to convert the file, (Ive tryed more than one) I get this Message (The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Zack.ZACK\My Documents\My Music\Ludacris\Chicken - N - Beer [Explicit]\003 Stand Up [Explicit].wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode.) Im downloading the music from Best Buy music..NAy help id appretiate it, Thanx
  • MasterOfPuppets
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2002

Re: WMA is Encrypted?

Zack,

Unfortunately the music you download from Best Buy is copy-protected AKA encrypted or protected. They encrypt the files to make it harder to obtain them illegally, although this also means that you cannot convert them by normal means, including using dBpowerAMP. A note from Spoon himself:

Originally posted by Spoon
    Microsoft will not let me do protected WMA files :(
    There are ways to circumvent this, though, you could check them out.

Note to Spoon: you might want to put a small explanation under the error message to clarify exactly what encrypted means, possibly.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets
      Zack,

Unfortunately the music you download from Best Buy is copy-protected AKA encrypted or protected. They encrypt the files to make it harder to obtain them illegally, although this also means that you cannot convert them by normal means, including using dBpowerAMP. A note from Spoon himself:

There are ways to circumvent this, though, you could check them out.

Note to Spoon: you might want to put a small explanation under the error message to clarify exactly what encrypted means, possibly.
      Ok, thanks alot. I guess I'll just stick with iTunes

Comment

• Unregistered

Convert from encrypted WMA to RM using jetAudio and then from RM to MP3 using dBPowerAMP.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You are going from Lossy >> Lossy >> Lossy not good for quality, if you are really stuck burn a CD from the WMA files and rip to mp3.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krishnapula
            • Jan 2004

When I try to convert a .rm file to wave, I got this error "The file 'D:\new\LNS1.rm' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

Can anybody help me how to over come this

Thanks
            Krishna

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Hi Guys,
            Im currently trying to convert WMA files to MP3..Whenever I try to convert the file, (Ive tryed more than one) I get this Message (The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Zack.ZACK\My Documents\My Music\Ludacris\Chicken - N - Beer [Explicit]\003 Stand Up [Explicit].wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode.) Im downloading the music from Best Buy music..NAy help id appretiate it, Thanx

Comment

• Rhino213
              • Apr 2005

Hi there! I had the same problem with a certain music sites free trail. The WMA files have a license attached that basically means you cannot do much with them convert, burn, transfer are all blocked and the files become unusable after your trail runs out.

Save your tears though! I have found a way round it. If you use the Aux input that comes with dMC r11 and link your soundcard output to the microphone input (you can also link speakers into the loop if you like), you can record all the tunes you downloaded from napster as mp3 files.

I tried using the stereo mix input option as detailed in another thread but found that using the above method gives much better results. There is no detectable loss in quality, the only tricky bit of the whole exercise is setting the volume on the speaker output correctly so you don't get distortion through the microphone input. If you do a couple of test recordings and set the volume so that the VU meter never goes above about 50% you can use the preamp on most decent media players (such as iTunes) to increase the volume of the recording.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

Ugh how many times have I seen similar threads regarding copy protection? Read the FAQ for God/Allah/Buddha/athetist/whatever God's sake!!!

dMC cannot decode encrypted files. Most of the times these files are created by the default setting in Windows Media Player to encrypt all the files it rips off of CDs. This setting is found under the "Copy Music" tab in the WMP options. Uncheck the "Copy protect music" box. Click OK to apply this change

I'll post it again

dMC cannot decode encrypted files. Most of the times these files are created by the default setting in Windows Media Player to encrypt all the files it rips off of CDs. This setting is found under the "Copy Music" tab in the WMP options. Uncheck the "Copy protect music" box. Click OK to apply this change

and again

Get it in your heads, people! FAQ is there for a reason!!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Rhino213
                  Hi there! I had the same problem with a certain music sites free trail. The WMA files have a license attached that basically means you cannot do much with them convert, burn, transfer are all blocked and the files become unusable after your trail runs out.

Save your tears though! I have found a way round it. If you use the Aux input that comes with dMC r11 and link your soundcard output to the microphone input (you can also link speakers into the loop if you like), you can record all the tunes you downloaded from napster as mp3 files.

I tried using the stereo mix input option as detailed in another thread but found that using the above method gives much better results. There is no detectable loss in quality, the only tricky bit of the whole exercise is setting the volume on the speaker output correctly so you don't get distortion through the microphone input. If you do a couple of test recordings and set the volume so that the VU meter never goes above about 50% you can use the preamp on most decent media players (such as iTunes) to increase the volume of the recording.
                  dMC Auxiliary Input is enough and perfect for the job, plus simpler and cleaner. Connecting output to mic input is overkill and can lead to great distortion. If you got poor results, check your settings.

Comment

• Rhino213
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                    dMC Auxiliary Input is enough and perfect for the job, plus simpler and cleaner. Connecting output to mic input is overkill and can lead to great distortion. If you got poor results, check your settings.
                    You might think so but, I've tried all the other methods and doing it that way produces the best results. The set up can be a little tricky but once you get it set correctly its quality is just as good as the original.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

One other things: mic input jacks are MONO, not stereo. It would be better to use a Line -In jack instead of the mic jack.

Comment

• adaywayne
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        And will also result in a mono audio file!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Rhino213
                          You might think so but, I've tried all the other methods and doing it that way produces the best results. The set up can be a little tricky but once you get it set correctly its quality is just as good as the original.
                          It's not that I might think so, I know so. :D

dMC Auxiliary Input can be a bit tricky too, so maybe that's where you ran into problems.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

lol, you guys! Auxiliary Input gives you 2 channel sound, great for recording audio. Who wants to use the mic? It's overkill! (Neil plagarizes what others say)

Comment

Working...

]]>