title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper Lite

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickmcinnis
    • Mar 2016

CD Ripper Lite

At the risk of annoying the writers of this great software I will ask my question.

I have built a purpose built XP OS for dbpoweramp.

After booting it loads CDGrab - there is no EXPLORER or much else left of XP - WINDOWS folder is approx 25 mB.

I have also eliminated parts of dBpoweramp I do not need.

I am doing ONLY this with dBpoweramp - reading commercial CDs and writing them to an HDD in wave and only wave. There is no conversion of any kind wanted or required.

The machine is not connected to the internet since it has no ability to access the internet so there is no freedb or accurate rip.

I read the CDrom's error on a more complete install and transferred this (within the registry) to this stripped down machine. I only use this machine for ripping.

I have found I can delete the DSP folder and the encoder folder and all seems to work fine. I have deleted the accuraterip files (can't remember if they are dlls or exe, I am writing at work).

So what is the question? Was hoping SPOON would tell me what are the files needed for this pared down install?

What are the files required for this one, and only one task.

I know it sounds kooky but the quality of these rips is in another league from what I got from a "regular" OS install.

I copy the files onto SD cards from the HDD (I am using the SDTrans card reader into my DAC) so it easy to go back and forth between before and after rips and there is a real difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and take care,
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD Ripper Lite

Why do you need to remove these files? they only take up a small space on the HDD.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jultsu
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2016

Have you actually run a CRC check on the before/after files? If they come out the same then it is 101% placebo. If they come out different then you have a serious problem somewhere.

Comment

• drjenkins
        • Feb 2006

Were you applying any DSP effects previously? You don't have to delete the DSP folder in order to not apply any effects.

Comment

• rickmcinnis
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by jultsu
          Have you actually run a CRC check on the before/after files? If they come out the same then it is 101% placebo. If they come out different then you have a serious problem somewhere.
          Figured out what I did not need.

Must say if you think that those numbers guarantee that all is the same you don't even realize the problems your system has since you system will not resolve them.

I am using SD cards in the SDTrans so I have before and after cards and the effect is not placebo. It is plainly audible but if you are happy with your system I am happy for you.

Wish all was a simple as you think it is. But then there would be nothing to do, would there?

Comment

• jultsu
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2016

Must say that you are stark raving bollocks mad. I agree that you can get different audible results playing the exact same file if you use different programs, different computers, different tweaks in the OS and so forth (all of this of course still purely in digital domain)

You can't however get a different result by using the exact same file from the exact same location if you don't change anything else in the equasion, unless your RAM is borked and thus giving random garbage every now and then. Are you playing the files directly from the SD cards? (in which case there could be a number of reasons why the sound quality would appear to differ between the cards)

Just out of shits'n'giggles, try running a crc check between the files. Just try.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rickmcinnis
              I know it sounds kooky but the quality of these rips is in another league from what I got from a "regular" OS install.
              Care to elaborate on how your CDRipper Lite OS setup is able to produce better quality rips over your regular OS setup?

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jultsu
                Just out of shits'n'giggles, try running a crc check between the files. Just try.
                As described (same playback chain, just file created with different setup), if the CRCs of the two files are in fact the same (i.e., bit perfect) then the statements are not just kooky, they are IMPOSSIBLE. But Audiophiles believe lots of weird, impossible stuff.

Comment

Working...

]]>