title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Duets tag question..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

Duets tag question..

Hi Folks...Not been on here for a while (ripping seems to be going fine)..but still read forum often to keep learning and keep up-to date. I was going to put this in the"Album Artist and Compilation tag questions" thread...But thought my question was a bit different.

When ripping one cd artist who have duets with another artist on Original cds DBPA Spilts With commas:; in MP3TAG Its //...... Iam hoping nature will take its course and my Streamer (not yet purchased) will see/sort this fine.

However, Some of my home-made cds (where I am inputting Artist/s manually ) Iam wondering how to do it.

For example lets say I have a one cd artist (not comp) with one duet. I've been putting E.g David Bowie & Pat Metheny. or replacing "&" to "W." (for with). This reads fine with Foobar-but fear it may go "t*ts up with a streamer.

Remember my worry is with artist/s homemade cd or comps NOT ORIGINALS.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Duets tag question..

Originally posted by daleyb
    When ripping one cd artist who have duets with another artist on Original cds DBPA Spilts With commas:; in MP3TAG Its //...... Iam hoping nature will take its course and my Streamer (not yet purchased) will see/sort this fine.
    To clarify, dBpoweramp separates multi-value tags with the semi-colon character ; whereas MP3Tag separates with 2 x backslash characters \\.

If the server/player software supports multi-value tags correctly, this will be fine.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Some of my home-made cds (where I am inputting Artist/s manually ) Iam wondering how to do it.

For example lets say I have a one cd artist (not comp) with one duet. I've been putting E.g David Bowie & Pat Metheny. or replacing "&" to "W." (for with). This reads fine with Foobar-but fear it may go "t*ts up with a streamer.

Remember my worry is with artist/s homemade cd or comps NOT ORIGINALS.
      I assume you mean in CDRipper, prior to ripping.

If you use David Bowie & Pat Metheny then this is a single Artist tag. If You use David Bowie; Pat Metheny then this is a multi-value Artist tag i.e. Artist contains 2 values.

Both are ok, but it all depends on how you want your data to be parsed by your library server software. In the first example, when browsing your library, you will see Artist listed as David Bowie & Pat Metheny only. You will not see the Artists listed separately, as David Bowie AND Pat Metheny.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

FYI, I have a similar example and this is how my tags look:

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

As mville illustrates above, I'd suggest that if you use multiartist tag fields (as I suggest you do as well), then you should also use an Album Artist field for that CD (as mville has done with Queen above). In my own case, this is more about where the album gets filed from a filename directory point of view. That is, in the above example, the album would show up in my file explorer in a subdirectory called "Hot Space" and that subdirectory would be under a parent ARTIST directory called Queen.

Another alternative some people use is to simply add the duet artist to the song title. For example: Under Pressure (w/ David Bowie).
          The downside of this is that the song won't show up in most systems if you are browsing to the artist David Bowie.

Comment

• daleyb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2014

thanks for that Guys. If I wish can I correct In dbpa IDTAG window with the ; bit to separate after RIP...or IN MP3 TAG...?

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

thanks for that Guys. If I wish can I correct In dbpa IDTAG window with the ; bit to separate after RIP...or IN MP3 TAG...?
              yes. you can always change using ID TAG UPDATE or mp3tag

Comment

• daleyb
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2014

Great stuff - I will change that. One thing I notice In mvilles Capture is hes using: album/ artist sort/ band composer.I must admit I've not ticked all those boxes in dbpa options> meta.Now I have, it still does not always come up with that Info.....Can I assume this is maybe its not always in the database.(Most times it gets Info though..)

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Great stuff - I will change that. One thing I notice In mvilles Capture is hes using: album/ artist sort/ band composer.I must admit I've not ticked all those boxes in dbpa options> meta.Now I have, it still does not always come up with that Info.....Can I assume this is maybe its not always in the database.(Most times it gets Info though..)
                  correct. not all those things are in database for every CD. (In my own case, I don't use the "sort" tags)

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

... and you don't need the Band tag at all. This is a tag I have used for years. See post no. 10 here, Album Artist and Compilation tag questions, for an explanation.

Comment

Working...

]]>