title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Encoder setting

Encoder setting

If I Encode a standard CD at 24 bit (DVD) 192 KHz 2 Stereo (CD) am I wasting space at an attempt to get better sound quality?
    Thanks

Administrator

Re: Encoder setting

You are wasting space.

Ok Thanks so what is the absolute best setting for encoding to aiff's?
    Last edited by offtheroad; 02-24-2016 at 05:42 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by offtheroad View Post
    Ok Thanks so what is the absolute best setting for encoding to aiff's?
    In terms of sound quality, there is no setting required except the Rip to setting (output file format), which in this case would be Aiff.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In terms of sound quality, there is no setting required except the Rip to setting (output file format), which in this case would be Aiff.
    Thanks so rip to what the CD is bit depth "as Source" sample rate "as Source and Channels 2 'stereo' CD or just "as Source" also. And btw what exactly is 2 'stereo CD'?

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks so rip to what the CD is bit depth "as Source" sample rate "as Source and Channels 2 'stereo' CD or just "as Source" also. And btw what exactly is 2 'stereo CD'?
    I think you are referring to DSPs, whereas I am saying you don't need them.

So you didn't answer what 2 stereo CD is compared to the "as Source" choice the 3 choices on Encoder. I made the mistake converting a lot of CD's to 2 stereo instead of "as source. So I took a cha ice and reconverted the tiff's that were at the mistaken 2 stereo instead of as source. So reconverting tiff's a second time, will that degrade the quality. Did I loose you? I'm a newB. I apologize and thanks for the help so far. I didm't mess with DSP yet.

dBpoweramp Guru

So you didn't answer what 2 stereo CD is compared to the "as Source" choice the 3 choices on Encoder. I made the mistake converting a lot of CD's to 2 stereo instead of "as source. So I took a cha ice and reconverted the tiff's that were at the mistaken 2 stereo instead of as source. So reconverting tiff's a second time, will that degrade the quality. Did I loose you? I'm a newB. I apologize and thanks for the help so far. I didm't mess with DSP yet.
    Yes, you have lost me, sorry.

... ah, tiff. I think you mean aiff. In encoder set all to 'as source'.

Stereo CD will override the CD ('as source' setting, most CDs are stereo) and CDRipper will always create a 2 channel aiff.

However, you may have the odd mono CD, which is why I would set all encoder settings to 'as source' and let CDRipper decide. I'm not entirely sure what CDRipper will do with mono CDs, but it probably does not matter anyway.

If you have made any mistakes, just re-rip the CD.
    Last edited by mville; 02-25-2016 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes, you have lost me, sorry.

... ah, tiff. I think you mean aiff. In encoder set all to 'as source'.

Stereo CD will override the CD ('as source' setting, most CDs are stereo) and CDRipper will always create a 2 channel aiff.

However, you may have the odd mono CD, which is why I would set all encoder settings to 'as source' and let CDRipper decide. I'm not entirely sure what CDRipper will do with mono CDs, but it probably does not matter anyway.

If you have made any mistakes, just re-rip the CD.
    Some music I don't have the CD's for I just had the flac file which I no longer have after I ripped them to diff so my question is can I re convert the aiff file to "as Source" to get rid of the mistaken 2 Stereo channel to just "as Source I did one but haven't listened to it yet to see if it degraded in any way. The CD's I do have I'll re rip. Here is a street shot of area I was talking about.Encoder area.png

dBpoweramp Guru

Some music I don't have the CD's for I just had the flac file which I no longer have after I ripped them to diff so my question is can I re convert the aiff file to "as Source" to get rid of the mistaken 2 Stereo channel to just "as Source I did one but haven't listened to it yet to see if it degraded in any way. The CD's I do have I'll re rip. Here is a street shot of area I was talking about.
    As long as those original rips were from stereo CDs, I don't think you need to re-convert at all.

Thanks, so your saying id I encoded them as 2 Stereo Channel and not as "as Source" they won't send any different"
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks, so your saying id I encoded them as 2 Stereo Channel and not as "as Source" they won't send any different"
    Correct. As long as the original CDs were stereo, I don't see any reason why they would sound different.