title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper crashes as soon as I hit the rip button

CD Ripper crashes as soon as I hit the rip button

I just downloaded and installed the trial version on my new computer. I am able to run and load the program and navigate the settings, but as soon as I hit the rip button Windows gives me an error message and closes the program down.

I want to test out and evaluate this program before buying it, but this doesn't bode well ...

I'm wondering if it is an issue with the registration. When installed it appears as though there is no registration associated with it. I followed the instructions in the FAQ and ran the config again, but that still didn't fix the issue.

Please let me know what's going on and how to deal with it so I can actually evaluate the program.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper crashes as soon as I hit the rip button

What version of Windows are you running? What is the error message?

To first rule out a problem with your optical drive, on your PC, can you successfully play the same audio CD in any other non-Illustrate application?

Windows 7 64-bit
    I'll need to get back to that computer to verify the error message 100%, but it's something to the effect of "the program has stopped working and windows is looking for a solution"
    I did play parts of the CD with no issue using Kodi. I really wanted to test out how my new computer sounded feeding into my 2-ch system, and it sounds fantastic. That's actually what drew me to dbpoweramp. It's one of in not the only good ripper that supports AIFF according to all the research I've been doing. I guess there is some work around way to get EAC to support it, but I'd prefer something more plug 'n' play like this if I can get it to work.

dBpoweramp Guru

In CDRipper, can you play the CD? Controls are found bottom, left of the main CDRipper window.

... one other thing to try:

In CDRipper >> Options >> CD ROM change Communication from SCSI Pass Through (SPT) to Windows Internal [For Limited Accounts]

as this fixed a similar problem for another user recently, see here:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...p-or-play-disk
    Last edited by mville; 10-12-2015 at 08:09 AM.

I did not try and play the CD within the ripper. I can try that when I get back to the computer as well.

The link you shared looks to be the same issue I'm having. I also have a Pioneer ODD.

What is the difference between SCSI Pass Through and Windows Internal? Will there be any kind of performance difference between them as far as bit perfect quality on the rips?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JSP242 View Post
    What is the difference between SCSI Pass Through and Windows Internal? Will there be any kind of performance difference between them as far as bit perfect quality on the rips?
    Not sure what the difference is between SCSI Pass Through and Windows Internal.

As long as you have AccurateRip configured in CDRipper and CDs, once ripped, are confirmed as accurate, then they will be bit perfect.

Update.
    I tried changing the setting to Windows Internal, and it still crashed in the same manner as before. FYI: according to the setting selection Windows Internal just doesn't support a lot of features that would be supported via SCSI Pass Through (e.g. C2 pointers).

I then tried playing the disc via the ripper, and nothing happened. The software didn't crash, but it didn't even attempt to play the disc.

The error is:
    "dBpoweramp CD Ripper has stopped working"
    "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Windows 7 64bit
    Pioneer BD-RW BDR-209D

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JSP242 View Post
    I tried changing the setting to Windows Internal, and it still crashed in the same manner as before. FYI: according to the setting selection Windows Internal just doesn't support a lot of features that would be supported via SCSI Pass Through (e.g. C2 pointers).

I then tried playing the disc via the ripper, and nothing happened. The software didn't crash, but it didn't even attempt to play the disc.

The error is:
    "dBpoweramp CD Ripper has stopped working"
    "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Windows 7 64bit
    Pioneer BD-RW BDR-209D
    ... to confirm, if you play that same CD, in the same drive, in Kodi for windows, it plays back ok?

Administrator

Run this:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...rom-the-System

and clear the settings, reinstall and try to rip the CD without changing any options.

Thanks Spoon. I think I went through the whole FAQ section and already tried that, but I'll try it again when I get home just to verify. The only thing I didn't do is leave the settings alone. IIRC the only setting I changed is to rip to AIFF instead of whatever the default is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Run this:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...rom-the-System

and clear the settings, reinstall and try to rip the CD without changing any options.
    I just got around to trying this, and I still got the same errors. I did not change any of the settings.

dBpoweramp Guru

Close cd ripper, open configure dbpoweramp and on the music converter tab is an enable debug, enable it then try ripping a disc, when cd ripper closed it should show the log, post it please.

OK. I'm back from vacation. Just before I left, Windows did a series of updates and it started working. The only thing I couldn't get to work though was doing a secure rip for the ones that it had trouble with.