title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Kill the Orange Icon

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alepsis
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2014

Kill the Orange Icon

I'm not 100% positive about this, but it seems that there is a new feature in Asset 5.1. When Asset doesn't find album art, it sends to the client an image of its own -- a white line drawing of a disc inside a sleeve, with a musical note on top, on an orange background.

Now, I have < 0 interest in pics and album art. I use Asset to listen to music, not to peruse pretty pictures; very few of the albums in my library have album art. As a result, my controllers are flooded by this orange icon, which has rapidly become very, very irksome.

How do I turn this thing off? Or, if that is not possible, could anyone tell me where this image is stored, so I can edit it to a blank grey rectangle?

Thanks.

Edit: OK, so I found the image (all I had to do was look...), and I can edit it if necessary. But can this function be turned off? (Btw, Advanced Settings > UpStream Artwork is off.)
    Last edited by Alepsis; 08-27-2015, 03:58 PM.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Kill the Orange Icon

If your Windows OS is 64-bit go here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\AssetImages

If your Windows OS is 32-bit go here:
    C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\AssetImages

There is a file in that directory named Album.jpg.

Try renaming it to something else e.g. Album (turn me off).jpg.

Then run Asset UPnP Configuration and click Restart Asset.
    Last edited by mville; 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM. Reason: added additional step, Restart Asset

Comment

• Alepsis
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by mville
      If your Windows OS is 64-bit go here:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\AssetImages
      Thanks, mville. Somehow, i didn't see your post while editing mine.

Any way to turn this function off? For good?

What if I just delete that directory?

(Btw, I'm not a graphic artist; but, years ago, I worked in DTP and design. I have to say, I cannot imagine how anyone could have thought this a good idea.)

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Alepsis
        Any way to turn this function off? For good?
        I don't know.

What if I just delete that directory?
        I don't see why not. Just remember that it'll get re-created when you install Asset R5.2.

For safety's sake, I would just rename it, so it can easily be re-instated (you never know, Asset may be expecting it to be there).

(Btw, I'm not a graphic artist; but, years ago, I worked in DTP and design. I have to say, I cannot imagine how anyone could have thought this a good idea.)
        That's quite interesting, as the couple of comments I've seen regarding these images has been quite positive.

I guess that is because most users are only seeing these images at the top level of their browse trees. At all other times, they are seeing actual album art.

I have to admit, I have album art for all my 2,860 albums.
        Last edited by mville; 08-27-2015, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You can delete all that assetimages folder if you wish.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Alepsis
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
            You can delete all that assetimages folder if you wish.
            Thanks. Done, no problems so far -- we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

• Alepsis
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Aug 2014

the couple of comments I've seen regarding these images has been quite positive.
              Ahem. Well, let reason it out.

First, any half-decent controller/player will already have some image to display if it doesn't get any album art from the server. Inevitably, that image is bound to be a much better fit to the controller's design style and colour scheme than anything Asset can supply.

Second, the orange of the Asset images is a pretty strong statement. Not easy to match with something else -- basically, you'd need a purpose-made scheme to match it. Which means that it's almost guaranteed that there'll be a colour clash between Asset's image and the controller's colour scheme.

Third, the Asset orange is a quite bold. Now, your well-designed controller will not feature bold colours. Its purpose is not to stick a finger in your eye and call attention to itself -- it is to be unobtrusive and blend in the background, using neutral, subdued colours, to draw attention to its function, not its looks. (As most good designers learn sooner or later, less is usually more.) Which means that it's almost guaranteed that the Asset image will stick out like a sore thumb on the display of a well-designed controller/player.

Confessing a fault makes half amends for it.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

First, any half-decent controller/player will already have some image to display if it doesn't get any album art from the server. Inevitably, that image is bound to be a much better fit to the controller's design style and colour scheme than anything Asset can supply.
                If only that were true. If it were, then I'd agree and the Asset images are a waste of time.

However, it isn't true.

Second, the orange of the Asset images is a pretty strong statement. Not easy to match with something else -- basically, you'd need a purpose-made scheme to match it. Which means that it's almost guaranteed that there'll be a colour clash between Asset's image and the controller's colour scheme.

Third, the Asset orange is a quite bold. Now, your well-designed controller will not feature bold colours. Its purpose is not to stick a finger in your eye and call attention to itself -- it is to be unobtrusive and blend in the background, using neutral, subdued colours, to draw attention to its function, not its looks. (As most good designers learn sooner or later, less is usually more.) Which means that it's almost guaranteed that the Asset image will stick out like a sore thumb on the display of a well-designed controller/player.
                Let me guess, you don't like orange.

It's all subjective. To me it's more like a salmon pink.

Comment

• Alepsis
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2014

However, it isn't true.
                  I've tried... XBMC, PlugPlayer, 8player, Kinski, ArkMC, controllers from Marantz, Pioneer, Cambridge Audio, Arcam... all do.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Confessing a fault makes half amends for it.
                    A figure of speech. Not an admittance of making a mistake.

As far as I can tell, every album ever released, came with album art.

... oh, sorry, except for The Beatles (White album) by The Beatles and The Black Album by Prince.

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

I've tried... XBMC, PlugPlayer, 8player, Kinski, ArkMC, controllers from Marantz, Pioneer, Cambridge Audio, Arcam... all do.
                      So, if you use any of the above, and don't want the aforementioned icons, delete the assetimages folder.

Comment

• schmidj
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2013

I have a number of CD's where the only "album art" is the printing on the face of the CD. Not uncommon for sampler CD's and self-produced CDR's which I get in the Caribbean. Then there are the recordings I've produced myself. Most are not sold commercially so the only "art" is the scribbling with a Sharpie on the CDR and/or paper envelope.

Comment

Working...

]]>