title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Found a little "bug" original files files are deleted if open in WMP in overwrite mod

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Man Stevie
    • Jul 2015

Found a little "bug" original files files are deleted if open in WMP in overwrite mod

This is silly as was a user mistake but I was scratching my head for ages as to where a file had gone.

Tried a few things & was able to recrate it 10 times today on Win 7 x64 Professional at least

Doing a SRC on a file with only the two resample & bit depth & I didn't realise that I had the file open in WMP (wasn't playing it)

anyway it threw the expected error converting to wav/overwriting file

when I closed WMP the original file deletes/disappears permanently with no way of recovering

this only works with overwriting the original file obviously & maybe isn't a bug per se rather than a string of unfortunate events.

Just to let you know if you didn't already.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Found a little "bug" original files files are deleted if open in WMP in overwrite

I cannot see how dBpoweramp can do this, let me explain:

1) File is open in another program, that means it is locked and cannot be opened for Writing by another program
    2) dBpoweramp sees that the existing file exists so it will convert to a temporary file
    3) when conversion is finished it tries to delete the original (which will fail as is open in other program), then move the temp file over to original, which will fail.

I have tested the above, opening a file in another program, it remains after conversion untouched.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Big Man Stevie
      • Jul 2015

Re: Found a little "bug" original files files are deleted if open in WMP in overwrite

Originally posted by Spoon
      I cannot see how
      Hence "bug"

did you try it with windows media player? that is the only program that I can replicate this issue with, might be others but I don't tend to keep multiple players.

I just took the liberty of testing it out on another computer, this time a brand new windows 8.1 install, with only dMC-R15.2-Ref-Registered installed
      • wav file on desktop
      • double click file so it opens in windows media player
      • file is stopped
      • leave windows media player window open (like I forgot to close yesterday)
      • do the SRC conversion with the 2 dsp effects, leaving all the other options as "same as source"
      • Error message says cannot convert to wav
      • also displays the error cannot write to file
      • which you would expect, given the process you have explained which I had gathered by the temp files that appear while you are converting
      • the file is still there
      • close windows media player
      • file is gone, no trace.

it's a very specific thing.

A gif for visual example

Maybe this is a windows media player issue, wmp is a funny player (g-d knows how microsoft pass half of this stuff)

it allows you to rename & delete things while playing audio files, it doesn't seem to lock them, it seems to play from memory, although you do get the write error thrown from dbpoweramp

still an odd situation that I have been able to replicate every time I've tried, I thought it may be an option in wmp to delete from library of something of the sort but no - nothing like that enabled

now trying the same thing in Adobe Audition is another matter, the file is locked & I'm not able to reproduce the error, wherever it stems from. File is safe.

Not that I'm worried, I work with multiple backups, I just know I'm not going mad now, & know where the file I was about to send to someone went last night - into the ether, so I won't be launching both applications together again (dual monitors & the window was obscured so was a mistake as I'd usually have these things closed)

Just got to mention, thank you Spoon for this amazing bit of software, it makes my life so much easier when dealing with lots of audio, in lots of different ways, I use it on a daily basis & gets a fair bit of mileage around here.

The SRC is second to none, the tagging is amazing, the dsp effects brilliantly flexible & the batch ripper saved me weeks backing up my CD collection, I've also found it to work fast & flawlessly.
      Last edited by Big Man Stevie; 07-18-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Big Man Stevie
        • Jul 2015

A gif for visual example

Comment

• Big Man Stevie
          • Jul 2015

I cannot see how
          Hence "bug"

did you try it with windows media player? that is the only program that I can replicate this issue with, might be others but I don't tend to keep multiple players.

I just took the liberty of testing it out on another computer, this time a brand new windows 8.1 install, with only dMC-R15.2-Ref-Registered installed
          • wav file on desktop
          • file is stopped
          • do the SRC conversion with the 2 dsp effects, leaving all the other options as "same as source"
          • which you would expect, given the process you have explained which I had gathered by the temp files that appear while you are converting

A gif for visual example

Maybe this is a windows media player issue, wmp is a funny player (g-d knows how microsoft pass half of this stuff)

it allows you to rename & delete things while playing audio files, it doesn't seem to lock them, it seems to play from memory, although you do get the write error thrown from dbpoweramp

still an odd situation that I have been able to replicate every time I've tried, I thought it may be an option in wmp to delete from library of something of the sort but no - nothing like that enabled

now trying the same thing in Adobe Audition is another matter, the file is locked & I'm not able to reproduce the error, wherever it stems from. File is safe.

Not that I'm worried, I work with multiple backups, I just know I'm not going mad now, & know where the file I was about to send to someone went last night - into the ether, so I won't be launching both applications together again (dual monitors & the window was obscured so was a mistake as I'd usually have these things closed)

Just got to mention, thank you Spoon for this amazing bit of software, it makes my life so much easier when dealing with lots of audio, in lots of different ways, I use it on a daily basis & gets a fair bit of mileage around here.

The SRC is second to none, the tagging is amazing, the dsp effects brilliantly flexible & the batch ripper saved me weeks backing up my CD collection, I've also found it to work fast & flawlessly.

Comment

• Big Man Stevie
            • Jul 2015

post seems to keep dissapearing too lol

maybe because I added in a gif, it needs to be moderated.

anyway...

I cannot see how
            Hence "bug"

• wav file on desktop
            • file is stopped

A gif for visual example

*********GIF REMOVED********

Maybe this is a windows media player issue, wmp is a funny player (g-d knows how microsoft pass half of this stuff) but I've found it handy for the reasons below

still an odd situation that I have been able to replicate every time I've tried, I thought it may be an option in wmp to delete from disk if not in library of something of the sort but no - nothing like that enabled

Last edited by Big Man Stevie; 07-18-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Big Man Stevie
              • Jul 2015

Sorry for the multiple posts, I didn't realise it was being held for moderation until aftward

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

We will test for this when working on the next beta.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Big Man Stevie
                  • Jul 2015

Thank you Spoon, it's really odd & have no idea how it could happen either, whatever is causing it, it's so specific I can't see it happening that often. not a massive thing really, just thought I'd sign up to let you know.

Comment

Working...

]]>