title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

flac conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlindsay
    • Jun 2015

flac conversion

I purchased dBpowerasmp mainly for its lossless to lossless conversion capabilities -- read good reviews. So far, I have not been able to find as single flac file on any newsgroup that could be converted. They all have one of the following errors:

Error This FLAC File is Corrupt
    FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME
    FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA

Are all flac files useless for conversion. And for the record, I'm not trying to pirate anything.
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: flac conversion

Originally posted by jlindsay
    I purchased dBpowerasmp mainly for its lossless to lossless conversion capabilities -- read good reviews. So far, I have not been able to find as single flac file on any newsgroup that could be converted. They all have one of the following errors:

FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME
    FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA

Are all flac files useless for conversion. And for the record, I'm not trying to pirate anything.
    "...on any newsgroup?" This is confusing. Please provide more info on what you're doing....exactly what type of source files you're using, and what you are trying to convert them to. The error message suggests that you're not starting with normal flac files.

(To answer your direct question- no, all flac files are not "useless for conversion." In fact, dBp works extremely well for converting proper flac files to other lossless formats. I've never come across any that couldn't be converted quickly and accurately.)

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

If the files are .fla then they are likely not flac but flash.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jlindsay
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
        "...on any newsgroup?" This is confusing. Please provide more info on what you're doing....exactly what type of source files you're using, and what you are trying to convert them to. The error message suggests that you're not starting with normal flac files.

(To answer your direct question- no, all flac files are not "useless for conversion." In fact, dBp works extremely well for converting proper flac files to other lossless formats. I've never come across any that couldn't be converted quickly and accurately.)
        Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I guess I was a bit unlucky at first because all my early attempts resulted in one of the errors noted. I've since found files that converted just fine (and for the record, I DO know what flac files are). Specifically, here is what I was trying to do.

I have a 2 disk set of "Robbie Robertson - How to Become Clairvoyant (Deluxe Edition) 2011". The first disk has been damaged and cannot be ripped to Apple Lossless like the rest of my music collection. I was hoping to replace it another way. I found flac files of that disk on a newsgroup. Here's an example:

Usenet Server: Giganews

NewsGroup: alt.binaries.sounds.lossless
        Posted By: Hellointhere@com (Musixman)
        File: 02 When the Night Was Young.flac

Trying to convert produced this error from dBpoweramp (using Test Conversion):

Error converting to Test Conversion, 'C:\DownloadsMimo\flac\02 When the Night Was Young.flac' to 'C:\DownloadsMimo\flac\02 When the Night Was Young.IGNORE'

If you have "never come across any that couldn't be converted quickly and accurately", your luck is much better than mine.

Thanks again.
        jlindsay

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

If you have "never come across any that couldn't be converted quickly and accurately", your luck is much better than mine.

Thanks again.
          jlindsay
          I really haven't, but then I don't think I've ever gotten files from sources like that. I think all the flac files I've worked with were ones that I made or ones that I bought from places like HDtracks, or artist-direct.

It appears that those newsgroup files must not be standard flac. Are you sure they're not compressed? (No offense intended...just trying to cover the obvious bases.) Are you able to play them, as is? If they're playable, you could use them as flac if your players support it. (I.e., no conversion.) If not, or if you really need ALAC, you probably need to find a different source. On the bright side, it appears you can buy the Disc 1 tracks as lossless downloads (flac or ALAC) directly from Robertson's site for only $9.99.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Trying to convert produced this error from dBpoweramp (using Test Conversion):

Error converting to Test Conversion, 'C:\DownloadsMimo\flac\02 When the Night Was Young.flac' to 'C:\DownloadsMimo\flac\02 When the Night Was Young.IGNORE'
            Um, maybe the flac file is corrupt?

Comment

• offtheroad
              • Apr 2015

I have successfully used on a Mac xACT 1.5

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011