title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Running wiinamp from command line.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tsrpp
    • May 2015

Running wiinamp from command line.

This is a Windows 8.1 question. I have r15.1 of dbpoweramp.

Can I run winamp from the command line? If the answer is "yes" is there a description analogous to a UNIX/LINUX manpage for the program?

I have the same question for the other components of bpoweramp.

Thanks
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Running wiinamp from command line.

Originally posted by tsrpp
    This is a Windows 8.1 question. I have r15.1 of dbpoweramp.

Can I run winamp from the command line? If the answer is "yes" is there a description analogous to a UNIX/LINUX manpage for the program?

I have the same question for the other components of bpoweramp.
    winamp is not a dbpoweramp component, so I am unsure why you are asking in this forum.

Comment

• tsrpp
      • May 2015

Asking about Winamp was a dump mistake on my part. I apologize.

I am new to the whole subject of moving my CD collection to my computer an dBpoweramp seems to be a good place to start. I will want to build a system which is more complex than something like iTunes. This is because my interests are in Classical music. This leads one to want a good relational data base system to catalog the collection. I know how to build such a catalog but not how to load a CD into and out of computer FLAC files. What I'd really I probably betray my age by admitting that I like books like is a "Missing Manual" approach to the subject. Alas, good programmers usually don't like to write tutorial prose to get people on board (I probably show my age by preferring books to time-consuming trial and error).

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Ripping your CDs with dbpa will be fairly easy once you get over the initial learning curve. Most things are automated.

1. insert CD, then the ripper will attempt to use online databases to find the metadata and auto fill this in for you (artist, album, genre, composer, etc.).
        2. you'll need to decide on what codec to rip to (I suggest a LOSSLESS codec, such as FLAC, ALAC)
        3. You'll need to set up your file naming options (directory, subdirectory, file name, etc., e.g., x:\music\ARTIST\ALBUM\01-track1)
        4. You should consider having ReplayGain tags added to your tracks at the time of ripping (use the ReplayGain DSP as part of the rip)

With classical the metdata is simply a lot harder. The databases don't do a great job (they are much better for pop music). You'll likely want to use tags like performer, conductor, composer, etc. This may require a bit of manual editing either at the time of ripping or just after. This link is for another purpose, but covers some of these metadata tagging issues for classical:

Also read all these links first. Then do a bit of trial and error with some of your CDs then come back here with specific questions.

p.s. Once installed click on every button, explore every program option page, etc. You may not know what many things are and how they matter, but at least you'll have a general idea of having seen what's in the program so that other things you learn may make more sense.

p.s.s. Your post was very confusing because neither "running from a command line" nor "winamp" have anything to do with the basics of ripping CDs using dbpa.
        Last edited by garym; 06-03-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• schmidj
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2013

I would strongly recommend that you read the postings on other threads here in this forum. It will take you a while, there is a lot here. Many of your potential questions have been answered here before. Also read the instructions available in the various help files. Google things you don't understand. Then once you have made an attempt to educate yourself by reading the available posted help, if there is something you still don't understand, you should be able to ask an intelligent, directed question and many of us here will attempt to aim you in the right direction.

At this stage, you should be looking for simplicity, not complexity. Once you have some idea of what you really want and need then you may look to add more features. Learn to walk before you run.

I have used a relational database, Microsoft Access, for over 15 years to catalog my record and CD collection. I have been ripping CD's, and digitizing records, for about 5 years, first with Winamp for my Ipod, then with dBPoweramp for both my home listening and my Ipod/smart phone. These remain as two disconnected entities. I have thought of ways to merge the data, but the programming effort still exceeds the benefit.

I am sure you have heard of "KISS". "Keep it simple stupid". If you try to make things too complex, you will never make any of it work.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by schmidj
            I have used a relational database, Microsoft Access, for over 15 years to catalog my record and CD collection. I have been ripping CD's, and digitizing records, for about 5 years, first with Winamp for my Ipod, then with dBPoweramp for both my home listening and my Ipod/smart phone. These remain as two disconnected entities. I have thought of ways to merge the data, but the programming effort still exceeds the benefit.
            Not sure this is the same thing, but note that with my music collection, once ripped and tagged, I can use the "export" function in mp3tag to easily create various excel or html files containing all the tag fields. These can be used in relational database programs, simply within excel, etc.

Comment

• schmidj
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2013

Gary,

Actually, that is what I've looked at, the mp3tag side is easy, writing the code to add it to my Access database isn't so easy. Up to now, although I had plans from the beginning, over 15 years ago, to include track information in the database, and even created some of the tables for track data, I only enter album data. Entering all the tracks would have taken too long. Now that I'm either doing it or getting it from online databases, I actually have the data as metadata, at least for the ripped CD's.

There are some flies in the ointment when it comes to merging it into my database though: The names of the artists and albums often are not identical between the database and the file metadata, matching the records would probably be manual. Also, how to make useful reports out of it? The Access database has, right now, 2228 artists and 8089 album titles, a mixture of CD's cassettes, records and a few digital files. (subtract a few for dummy entries) If I actually had everything digitized, at a rounded number of 10 tracks per album, that would be another 80,000 entries in the tracks table.

Since looking at anywhere close to that many entries in total is useless, I'd need to come up with some useful search options and reports to look at parts of the data, like all the tracks by a particular artist. That becomes more problematic as the database was never designed to deal with the difference between track artist and album artist. So you see, while certainly doable, right now, I've got too many other higher priority things to do, like finish ripping thousands of CD's, and digitizing all those records and cassettes.

I have actually used the mp3tag export function to create clear indexes of material I digitized for others. I do wish mp3tag looked at tags on .wav files, I had to convert the.wav files used to burn the CD's to FLAC files to look at in mp3tag and make the reports.

John

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Good points John. Yep, I abandoned my "music database" efforts years ago. But the good news is that I find that I can easily use my music library programs to to all the basic searching I might desire based on the tag info already there (e.g., foobar2000 and Logitech Media Server). So I don't really have the need for the database that I thought I needed back when everything I had was simply physical product music (and not easily searchable unless I combed my shelves a home looking for stuff).

Comment

Working...

]]>