title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dbpoweramp disables Internet connection

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePimpOfSound
    • May 2015

dbpoweramp disables Internet connection

Hello!

I'm having a pretty strange problem with dbpoweramp. Whenever I access my CD drive through the CD Ripper software, my Internet connection cuts out, then becomes slow/intermittent until the drive is no longer in use. This happens regardless of whether I'm playing a CD through the software or ripping FLAC/MP3 from it.

To isolate the problem to dbpoweramp, I've also tried ripping CDs in EAC and playing them in Windows Media Player. Neither of those are causing any Internet problems. I don't think it's my router (Asus RT-AC68U) either, since plugging Ethernet directly into my computer from the cable modem leads to the same problem.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling dbpoweramp to no avail. Also tried disabling/reenabling the CD/DVD drive in Control Panel, and of course restarting the PC and cycling the modem/router. I'm on a desktop PC using Windows 7 Pro, wired Ethernet connection.

I am using the Reference version of dbpoweramp, downloaded straight from the main site (about 14 days into the trial right now). It's great software and was likely going to purchase it, but not if this keeps happening. Any clues are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ThePimpOfSound; 05-14-2015, 10:39 PM.
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: dbpoweramp disables Internet connection

I think that you have an issue with your internet security software blocking at least dbpa from internet access.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

The issue lies outside of dBpoweramp, it reads metadata which might be only be 300KB at most, then it does nothing. If your router is disconnecting from the internet, well dBpoweramp would have to know the access password, log into the router and choose the disconnect from internet option, and I can assure you it does not do this (why would it?)
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ThePimpOfSound
        • May 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
        The issue lies outside of dBpoweramp, it reads metadata which might be only be 300KB at most, then it does nothing. If your router is disconnecting from the internet, well dBpoweramp would have to know the access password, log into the router and choose the disconnect from internet option, and I can assure you it does not do this (why would it?)
        I don't think the router is disconnecting. The connection still appears, but there isn't any data going through.

It does have something to do with the home Internet connection in particular, though. After posting I realized I should try connecting with my phone's personal hotspot, and I had no issues while dBpoweramp is in use. I'm going to try the home Wi-Fi instead of wired Ethernet when I get a chance.

To the previous comment, I've had no problems pulling in metadata. The only anti-virus software I'm using is Windows Security Essentials, which isn't on the mishap list. I've also tried disabling Windows Firewall to no avail.

Hard to believe the issue is completely outside of dBpoweramp when the problem only occurs while dBpoweramp is running, but I'll keep digging.

Comment

• THEM
          • May 2015

Originally posted by ThePimpOfSound
          ... To the previous comment, I've had no problems pulling in metadata. ...

Hard to believe the issue is completely outside of dBpoweramp when the problem only occurs while dBpoweramp is running, but I'll keep digging.
          All sorts of strange interactions are possible. One thought which occurs in particular is that your ISP could be traffic-shaping. When you said you tried with your 'phone's personal hotspot, I assume that was using cellular data for the actual Internet connection then? If so, that might point more towards your ISP not playing nicely (as it then works correctly when effectively using a different ISP).
          Does the cutting out/slow/intermittent response persist after exiting CDRipper, and does it ever return to normal with CDRipper running but not actively in use?

You could also ask your ISP about it - the fact that it apparently works using a different ISP (cellular data through your 'phone) would somewhat point the metaphorical finger in their direction ...

Comment

• ThePimpOfSound
            • May 2015

Just tried on Wi-Fi, home internet, same problem.

Something I've noticed now is that the connection problems don't kick in right away. It seems to be partway through or even immediately after the burning process is complete. Then after the CD drive winds down, things start to go back to normal. So, THEM, to answer your question, it doesn't persist when CD Ripper is simply running in the background.

What it looks like on my end is Chrome shows "resolving host..." in the status bar. From here pages will sometimes load slowly, or give me an error. (I've seen "timed out" as well as "DNS_Probe_Finished_No_Internet")

Next thing I'm going to try is disallowing dbpoweramp from accessing Internet under meta settings.

Comment

Working...

]]>