title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lossless conversion is not truly lossless (for some formats at least)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobby_shrimp
    • Apr 2015

Lossless conversion is not truly lossless (for some formats at least)

Hi,

I am using dBpoweramp to convert .wma lossless and .aif lossless to .wav of the same audio format. When I open the source and output files in adobe audition, then mix them together whilst inverting the waveform the result is not pure silence, some samples are misaligned. The samples are almost silent and the audio is for all intents and purposes indistinguishable but it is not truly a lossless conversion.

I thought it was perhaps some metadata offsetting the audio (as happens with mp3 I think) but about 99.9% of the wave is cancelled perfectly so I can't see how it could be that.

Anyway, any suggestions?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Lossless conversion is not truly lossless (for some formats at least)

Visit Codec Central above and install 'Calculate Audio CRC'

Then convert all 3 files to this codec and see if the value calculated matches, if it does the files all contain the same audio.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bobby_shrimp
      • Apr 2015

Hi Spoon,

To my surprise the CRC checks were the same, which is reassuring. But have you any idea why I am getting the problem I am having above? The method I described is how I "litmus" test lossless transcodes usually, and so far I have never had this problem (I have performed this test on a lot of files for a number of years).

Cheers.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It means that adobe audition is not able to read the WMA lossless files correctly.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>