title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming Conventions frustrations

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Balderick
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Naming Conventions frustrations

I have posted on this before, and with much assistance I was given naming scripts that worked for the most part, and I thought I had finally got what I expected and wanted. Periodically, but not all, the compilation discs would rip into one single folder, yay!

However, I ripped a CD that I got from a MOJO magazine and ended up with yet another mess. This time the result was back to the original problem of 15 separate tracks in 15 Artist named folders under the 'VARIOUS ARTISTS' Folder. I cannot imagine why anyone would ever want this result..... and not all compilation discs do this. Why?

I usually rip/encode 2 copies of my CD's. FLAC for quality. and .mp3 for portability. The ripped files are sent directly to folders for .mp3s and FLACs on my NAS drive. In the naming conventions below have use 2 differing ways to access the NAS folders to see if either caused grief or success in one way or another, (they don't appear to).

FLAC
    FOLDER - \\BADGERSTATION\music\Music - Hi Res [FLAC]\
    DYNAMIC - [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][] [FLAC]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

.mp3
    FOLDER - M:\Music - Low Res [Mp3]\
    DYNAMIC - [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

I'm somewhat lost on this coding, simple as some folk find it. But ultimately I want my FLAC files together, my .mp3's together. All on my NAS and accessible mostly through folders (as though browsing through the bins at a record store) with all my various CD sub-folders together in a 'Various' folder.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Naming Conventions frustrations

In CDRipper, is Album Artist set to Various Artists and is the Compilation box ticked?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Balderick
      In the naming conventions below have use 2 differing ways to access the NAS folders to see if either caused grief or success in one way or another, (they don't appear to).
      I don't quite understand what you're saying here.

FLAC
      FOLDER - \\BADGERSTATION\music\Music - Hi Res [FLAC]\
      DYNAMIC - [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][] [FLAC]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

.mp3
      FOLDER - M:\Music - Low Res [Mp3]\
      DYNAMIC - [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title]
      In both of these strings, you are creating a Various Artists primary folder (for compilations), then a subfolder named [Artist] [Year] - [Album]. This will create a separate subfolder for each ARTIST on the album.

As mville suggests, ensure the compilation flag is checked (it sounds like it is, since you're getting the Various Artists folder). Then remove that subfolder level of your naming string.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BrodyBoy

In both of these strings, you are creating a Various Artists primary folder (for compilations), then a subfolder named [Artist] [Year] - [Album]. This will create a separate subfolder for each ARTIST on the album.

As mville suggests, ensure the compilation flag is checked (it sounds like it is, since you're getting the Various Artists folder). Then remove that subfolder level of your naming string.
        I use this so that my compilations are not listed under any album artist or artist names. Underneath compilations directory is ONLY the album folders:
        [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]
        Otherwise, you need to change your string so that it uses ALBUM ARTIST for compilations and make sure that the ALBUM ARTIST has a value. But this will need to be something like VARIOUS ARTISTS, SOUNDTRACK, etc. (I don't use ALBUM ARTIST for compilations as having VA is redundant when I know it is a compliation. I only use AA for comp when I want the compilation to show up under an artist name (e.g., Bob Dylan as AA when it is a tribute album for bob dylan).

Comment

• Balderick
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by mville
          In CDRipper, is Album Artist set to Various Artists and is the Compilation box ticked?
          Yes, they are. But I have tried without having them checked as well.

Comment

• Balderick
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by BrodyBoy

All I meant was the difference between the naming of the folders as below. "\\Badgerstation\music" and "M:\" say the same thing.
            FLAC FOLDER - \\BADGERSTATION\music\Music - Hi Res [FLAC]\
            .mp3 FOLDER - M:\Music - Low Res [Mp3]\

Could you highlight the part you suggest I remove please?

Thank you.

Comment

• Balderick
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Dec 2013

My question also refers to the fact that this result only happens some of the time. Any ideas as to why I do not always get several subfolders?

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

All I meant was the difference between the naming of the folders as below. "\\Badgerstation\music" and "M:\" say the same thing.

Thank you.
                you have it creataing "artist year album" whether compilation or not.

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][] [FLAC]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title]
                try this instead. (note, none of your dynamic naming deals with multidisk CDs, so I haven't included anything for that either)

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] [FLAC]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

My question also refers to the fact that this result only happens some of the time. Any ideas as to why I do not always get several subfolders?
                  see the post I just made with an alternative. (and the some of the time issue?? Computers are stupid. They do exactly what we tell it to do....so something in your naming string is interacting with some of the CDs metadata to give you bad outcomes). In any case, try the alternative I gave you just now and see what you think.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2011

Thank you.
                    I did highlight those parts in my post (I used boldface, since this forum usually has problems displaying colors).

The reason it only happens sometimes is because there are conditional elements. There are a bunch of "IFs" involved...."if" you check the compilation box, "if" there is an ALBUM ARTIST tag. The varying combinations of these situations yield varying results.

Comment

• Balderick
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2013

Sorry for the delayed responses gentlemen. For some reason this forum never notifies me of replies even when I do subscribe. I often find that I am not subscribed any more. I checked again and am subscribing for the 3rd time.... I but I hold little hope that it will retain this setting.

Your BOLDED text only has bold placeholders on it, which I did not notice. I see now and have tried the changes. Will let you know how it goes.

Thank you.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Note this too from my earlier post. This I think will create the naming structure you want.

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] [FLAC]\[artist] [year] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]

Comment

• Balderick
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by garym
                          Note this too from my earlier post. This I think will create the naming structure you want.
                          That's good Garym. I think it covers my preference.

I know what I think I want but am open to new ideas (at least new to me). If you don't mind my asking. How do you have your rips named? And if there are major differences, why?

Rod

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

I know what I think I want but am open to new ideas (at least new to me). If you don't mind my asking. How do you have your rips named? And if there are major differences, why?

Rod
                            will do. May be this weekend as I'm traveling.

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Rod
                              I use this dynamic naming string:
                              [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]
                              This produces the following automatically without intervention from me:

For non-compilation (various artists)

x:\music\ARTIST (or Album Artist if it exists)\ALBUM\track number - track title.flac

example,

x:\music\The Beatles\Abbey Road\01 - Come Together.flac

If there are multi disks in the CD, it produces this:

x:\music\Artist (or Album Artist if it exists)\album\disk 1\track no. - track title

example,

x:\music\The Beatles\The Beatles\Disk 1\01 - Back in the U.S.S.R.flac
                              x:\music\The Beatles\The Beatles\Disk 2\01 - Birthday.flac

For Compilations (Various Artists):

x:\music\Compilations\album name\track no - track title - track artist name.flac
                              and if multi disk, I consider that similar to above

example,

x:\music\Compilations\This One's For Him - A Tribute to Guy Clark\01 - That Old Time Feeling - Rodney Crowell.flac

Notes:

1. I use "Compilations" rather than "various artists" as it seems more intuitive to me. But it doesn't matter.
                              2. I keep multi disk CDs separated by subfolders for each disk because this allows proper treatment by PerfectTunes if I want to check these later with AccurateRip (e.g., after I've copied the folders to a different harddrive for backup)
                              3. I don't use YEAR in my names, but I do have YEAR, COMPOSER, etc. in my TAGS themselves and my players/databases do display this info.
                              4. Related to 3 above, remember that the file naming is almost irrelevant (except for some logic when looking at the file structure in windows explorer, etc.). My players could care less about file name or folder location. They are all using the TAG information.
                              5. I do not embed the album art in my tracks. Rather I have it produce a single album cover artwork file named "cover.jpg" for each album folder.

Comment

Working...

]]>