title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripped CD tracks in alphetical not track order?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JEM2
    • Dec 2013

Ripped CD tracks in alphetical not track order?

HI

I have some 350 CD's successfully ripped with all album tracks in track order. That is the only way it works for a Classical Music tragic like me! 2 CD's of a 4 CD album I have recently ripped has ordered the tracks in composer alphabetical order. Instead of 4 CD icons in "album view" I have 6 icons for the 4 CD's with the 2 effected CD's split. I am running the latest version of pBpoweramp. I have not changed the ripper settings and I am ripping as uncompressed. Can anyone suggest the ripper settings needed to fix this problem.

Other albums recently ripped have come out correctly in track order and display correctly in "all album view".

Thanks John.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripped CD tracks in alphetical not track order?

Originally posted by JEM2
    HI

I have some 350 CD's successfully ripped with all album tracks in track order. That is the only way it works for a Classical Music tragic like me! 2 CD's of a 4 CD album I have recently ripped has ordered the tracks in composer alphabetical order. Instead of 4 CD icons in "album view" I have 6 icons for the 4 CD's with the 2 effected CD's split. I am running the latest version of pBpoweramp. I have not changed the ripper settings and I am ripping as uncompressed. Can anyone suggest the ripper settings needed to fix this problem.

Other albums recently ripped have come out correctly in track order and display correctly in "all album view".

Thanks John.
    when you say "view" do you mean in a windows explorer window (i.e., view of file names) or do you mean in a player of some sort using the metadata tag field for track number. Have you looked at the track numbers of this disk set? are they 01, 02, 03, etc. or something else. Are you using Disk number field? Are the ALBUM names the same for all 4 rips, with only the DISK NUMBER differing (1 - 4)?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Can anyone suggest the ripper settings needed to fix this problem.
      Without knowing more detail, I'd already guess with about 95% certainty that this was just a metadata snafu courtesy of the online databases. The tags added for those two disks are not consistent with the others in the set.

I would load the whole set into mp3tag and clean up their tags. I.e., make sure that the track and disc numbers are correct, that the album title and album artist tags match, etc. Going forward, the best way to avoid this problem is to carefully review the metadata in dBp prior to ripping and ensure that those important tags are consistent.

Comment

• JEM2
        • Dec 2013

Thanks for the contributions. I would like to clarify what is happening. All CD's in the 4 CD set come up on the ripper window correctly identified and in track order. The disc is correctly identified. Discs 1&2 when ripped to the NAS organise the works in composer alphabetical order. The CD's on album view on my NAIM app is split for both discs. The tracks for CD's 1&2 are saved in composer alphabetical order.

For CD'S 3 & 4 all is as expected with no indication in album view.

Any further suggestions please?

Thanks John.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

what happens if you load up in mp3tag and review metadata of all 4 CDs tracks? Particulary when you right click, select "extended tags" and you can see ALL tags that were added, even some you don't realize are there (focus on some of the SORT tags for example). In the extended tag popup dialog, play close attention to the items that should be the SAME for the entire album (album name, genre, etc.). In this popup you should see the values/text that are in those fields. Other fields that differ by track (title, for example) should have <keep>. If you see <keep> where there should be the same value across all the tracks, that tells you that something is different across those tracks where it should not be.

What we're getting at is that you either have a metadata issue on these tracks (something is different *or* the NAIM app has some sort of issue. I suspect there are some stray tags or something different about 2 of these disks.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by garym
            What we're getting at is that you either have a metadata issue on these tracks (something is different *or* the NAIM app has some sort of issue. I suspect there are some stray tags or something different about 2 of these disks.
            +1

The point, JEM2, is that this is caused by metadata inconsistencies across those disks. That came from the online databases. There isn't a ripper setting that fixes this problem, since CD Ripper can only apply the metadata it's provided, either by the databases or by you. Fixing the issue on the already-ripped set means fixing the metadata, as has been suggested. Preventing it going forward means careful attention to metadata accuracy before hitting the rip button.

Comment

• JEM2
              • Dec 2013

Thanks guys for your input.
              I thought it would be a issue with the Meta data of multiple disc sets. I have been ripping in FLAC compressed which is my preference. I take it that I will be able to review the Meta data in mp3 but not do so in Flac. Is this correct? I will do as you suggest and if successful I will want to change to Flac which will be a first for me. Will post progress, but might take a couple of days before I have the opportunity.
              All the best.
              Regards John

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

Thanks guys for your input.
                I thought it would be a issue with the Meta data of multiple disc sets. I have been ripping in FLAC compressed which is my preference. I take it that I will be able to review the Meta data in mp3 but not do so in Flac. Is this correct? I will do as you suggest and if successful I will want to change to Flac which will be a first for me. Will post progress, but might take a couple of days before I have the opportunity.
                All the best.
                Regards John
                Ooos, sorry for the confusion! .....mp3tag is a dedicated metadata editor. It's an oft-mentioned program around here, so we mistakenly assumed you should know that's what we were referring to. It's a great program....very to handy to have on hand for these kinds of tasks. You can edit your flac files' tags directly in it.

mp3tag

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
                  Ooos, sorry for the confusion! .....mp3tag is a dedicated metadata editor. It's an oft-mentioned program around here, so we mistakenly assumed you should know that's what we were referring to. It's a great program....very to handy to have on hand for these kinds of tasks. You can edit your flac files' tags directly in it.

mp3tag
                  yes. I forget that not everyone knows that "mp3tag" program can edit metdata tags in many different types of files. FLAC, mp3, m4a, AAC, OGG, etc. I suppose the name is unfortunate, but it started many years ago when it was mostly about mp3 tag editing.

Comment

• JEM2
                    • Dec 2013

Thanks for the clarification. Today I ripped a 2 CD album and failed to get the second disc displayed in album view. I can access the second disc only in File and folder view. Now I think of it I have only had these problems since upgrading to Windows Version 15.2. Before I install and use "mp3tag" I have to say that I do not recall any problems of this nature with my previous version of CD Ripper. Could Spoon comment please.
                    To make the story complete I upgraded from "ASSET Raspberry Pi" to "ASSET for my QNAP TS-412 version 4.4" at about the same time which has worked brilliantly.
                    Thanks John.

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

Today I ripped a 2 CD album and failed to get the second disc displayed in album view. I can access the second disc only in File and folder view.
                      I assume you mean album view in the NAIM app?

I expect the tags on Disc 2 are not the same/consistent with Disc 1. CDRipper is not able to check this for you. This has to be done manually, by the enduser, before ripping.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                        I assume you mean album view in the NAIM app?

I expect the tags on Disc 2 are not the same/consistent with Disc 1. CDRipper is not able to check this for you. This has to be done manually, by the enduser, before ripping.
                        agree. Disk 2 tags are not consistent. And installing mp3tag and checking this stuff will take a total of 5 minutes, including installing mp3tag. I can also confirm that more often than not, with a multidisk CDs, I have to make some manual intervention to edit the metadata to match properly. As mville notes, this is not a dbpa problem, but an online database of metadata 'problem'.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2011

....Before I install and use "mp3tag" I have to say that I do not recall any problems of this nature with my previous version of CD Ripper. Could Spoon comment please.
                          It's kind of obvious from your comments that you don't believe us. But honest, we're saying this to inform, not to argue or divert blame: This problem has nothing to do with ripping or your version of the program...it's just a common (and easily-correctable) metadata error in the online databases.

If you go rip 10 multi-disc sets right now, and just let CD Ripper accept whatever metadata the online databases provide, I'd bet good $$ that most (with very good odds on all!) of them will have inconsistencies that screw up navigation in your players. You can fix the errors as you rip, or after....those are your options.

Comment

Working...

]]>