title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tag editor

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreggP
    • Feb 2011

Tag editor

I use dBpoweramp's CD Ripper to rip all of my new CDs. I appreciate how it gathers the metadata from sites like AMG to fill in the tags. That's the main reason I use it over EAC and J.R.Media Center.

However, I haven't always used dBPoweramp and I have many, many albums that were previously ripped with these other programs. Now, I'd like to automatically update these previously ripped albums with tags, just as if I were using dBPoweramp CD Ripper, but I don't want to re-rip everything. I'd like to retain the play history of the tracks that I've got.

Is there any program that will accomplish this?
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: Tag editor

Take a look at MusicBrainz Picard. It's not 100% automated, in that you have to choose and confirm its search results, but it's quite thorough and, so far, the best solution I've found for this problem.

Comment

• GreggP
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
      Take a look at MusicBrainz Picard. It's not 100% automated, in that you have to choose and confirm its search results, but it's quite thorough and, so far, the best solution I've found for this problem.

Thanks for that suggestion.

I tried it out and it wasn't quite what I am looking for. I don't see any way to add tags like "Style". It handles all the basic tags like artist, album, genre, etc. just fine, but I'm trying to get these additional tags, which are handled just fine with dBpoweramp when it uses AMG (All Music Guide) as its source for metadata. I can see how this might be better than MP3tag because it can look up metadata from Musicbrainz (actually, it looks like MP3tag also has that functionality), but I'd really like the functionality of dbPoweramp's CD Ripper without needing to insert a CD to rip, but just by selecting tracks already ripped and having it lookup the tags based on the artist and album names.

I'd also like to include custom tags, which would be compatible with the custom tags I use in JRMC, like 'Year Recorded" and "Country". That's not as important, because I can always edit those tags in JRMC.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by GreggP
        I tried it out and it wasn't quite what I am looking for. I don't see any way to add tags like "Style". It handles all the basic tags like artist, album, genre, etc. just fine, but I'm trying to get these additional tags, which are handled just fine with dBpoweramp when it uses AMG (All Music Guide) as its source for metadata. I can see how this might be better than MP3tag because it can look up metadata from Musicbrainz (actually, it looks like MP3tag also has that functionality), but I'd really like the functionality of dbPoweramp's CD Ripper without needing to insert a CD to rip, but just by selecting tracks already ripped and having it lookup the tags based on the artist and album names.
        This feature has been requested many times before and I believe it is something that will be available in PerfectTunes, just not at the moment.

Originally posted by GreggP
        I'd also like to include custom tags, which would be compatible with the custom tags I use in JRMC, like 'Year Recorded" and "Country". That's not as important, because I can always edit those tags in JRMC.
        In Edit ID Tag, do you not see Year Recorded or Country tags? What format are your audio files?

Comment

• matt_lazell
          • Feb 2015

hi,

I've recently bought Asset to run on a new QNAP box. I noticed that Style is one of the tags it picks up, so I eagerly created and populated a Style tag across my entire collection as a way of capturing 'high level Genre', e.g. uptempo, chilled, dance etc. I created these tags by creating a custom tag in mp3tag which I pointed at '%style%', and they have been encoded as 'user-defined text information' with a description 'STYLE'.

Asset has picked up my new Style tags just fine, but it has also picked up some other info for the Style tag on a handful of tracks. I've investigated one of these, and found that the tag being picked up and displayed as Style is 'Content Group'. Could you advise what the logic is in terms of what tag names get represented under what categories in Asset? And is this configurable, perhaps by editing a config file somewhere? And, even better, is the list of tags available in Asset editable?

thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It depends on the audio format and id tag type, if you have a mix of audio types.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>