title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

miscellaneous questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calestyo
    • Nov 2006

miscellaneous questions

Hi.

Some miscellaneous questions about CD Ripper:

1) In principle I'd like to set a maximum drive speed (i.e. the one in the CD-ROM section),... I have time and AFAIU slower = more secure.
    So I'd set e.g. 8x there,... the one from Pass 2 ("Limit drive speed") in the secure settings won't apply when I have C2 (right?)... and the one from "Individual Bad Frames" I'd set to 4x.
    So far so god,... but now there's the "Vary Drive Speed Each Pass" option, which makes sense as perhaps an error won't ocurr in another speed.
    So when I limit the global speed to e.g. 8x, would that mean that with "Vary Drive Speed Each Pass" dbpoweramp only selects between =< 8x (which would be bad of course)?

2) Communication setting
    I can chose between SCSI Pass Through (SPT), Windows Internal (for limited accounts) and SCSI Pass Through (D8).
    Which one should one choose (i.e. which is "best")?
    EAC would select D8 (in auto detection),... what's the difference between the two SCSI Pass Throughs ?

3) HDCD
    When a CD is a HDCD, then AFAIU the following happens:
    It's extracted as normal 16bit WAV (with the special encoding), but when the DSP plugin is enabled it's also converted to the 20bit version.
    Can I somehow get both? I.e. the plain 16bit version + 20bit version?
    Or better, can I somehow decode the 16bit version to 20bit version afterwards?

4) With EAC I'm used to create my rips as one image (i.e. one file) now I see that dbp supports that as well... is that suggested for dbp? I.e. will AccurateRip/etc. still work? Will it give me a CUE sheet that contains all necessary information including the gaps and including HTOA?

Thanks,
    Chris.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: miscellaneous questions

Often slower on modern drives can lead to more ripping errors.

SPT is best.

3. No, only 20 bit or 16 bit if no hdcd is used.

4. AccurateRip works, however there is nothing to be gained as all tracks as one file, you are best as separate files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• calestyo
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
      Often slower on modern drives can lead to more ripping errors.
      Well it's a PX-760A ... any experience whether this would apply to that?
      3. No, only 20 bit or 16 bit if no hdcd is used.
      hmm I see, but when I simply disable the HDCD plugin I should be able to get a 16bit rip from a HDCD, right?
      4. AccurateRip works, however there is nothing to be gained as all tracks as one file, you are best as separate files.
      If I rip to separate files, what does it to with the HTOA (if any)? Thanks, Chris.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Modern drivers are designed to rip at full speed.

Yes you would have 16 bit file.

It will rip to a track 0 file.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

If you are ripping hdcds you should read this thread carefully. I rip my HDCD disks WITHOUT using the HDCD dsP. This way they are bit perfect rips. If I want to listen to the rips with HDCD capabilities, I can use foobar2000 and its HDCD application in the playback chain and it will use the HDCD info contained in my rips.

I apologize in advance for this lengthy post and its wordy questions, but after a lot of reading I'm still unsure what the best general approach is for ripping HDCDs, and from what I can tell there is no FAQ or definitive best practices recommended by illustrate. This might be a bit pedantic, but I'm really hoping those of you

Comment

• calestyo
            • Nov 2006

Spoo,... I've thought dbp would use the hdcd.exe from http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1044539 but apparently these files differ... So... what's the difference? =)

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

It does use it, uncheck the option to scale 6dB
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• calestyo
                • Nov 2006

No you didn't get me right ;-)
                The hdcd.exe you ship with dbpoweramp is different (byte-wise) from the one at the original link... is that a newer/older version?

Some more questions:

I've just tried to rip a CD with HTOA, both in tracks and image mode.
                In tracks mode, no track 0 file is created, i.e. the HTOA is apparently lost.
                In image mode, dbp apparently always defaults to start at the LBA where the first track begins (in my example, Jurassic Park, LBA 32)... which is already kinda annoying since if one forgets to set it to 0 one would loose HTOA as well. But even when I manually set start LBA=0 it only corrects the minutes and frames to 0, while the seconds are still at 2... so AFAICT it still looses HTOA.
                (And yes, overread into lead in/out is enabled.)

Further, in image mode it apparently does not use AccurateRip (other than what you've said before),... so it just went into the Ultra Secure passes, when I tested it.

Also,... isn't there a way to get a CUE file? It seems none is created, in which case the image mode is basically useless in dbp :(

Cheers,
                Chris.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

If track 1 starts at lba 32, there is no HTOA, track one would have to start at perhaps 10000 for there to be any audio before it.

I am not sure which hdcd is on the link you have. If you set the encoder to Cue sheet image then a cue image will be written.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• calestyo
                    • Nov 2006

Well dbpoweramp and EAC both show a HTOA (even if it's just 2 seconds) and EAC also extracts it. It doesn't really contain any "valuable" audio, it was just the test CD I've had at hand. And the executable is the one from the link above (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1044539)... that has: $ ls -al hdcd.exe ; md5sum hdcd.exe -rw-r--r-- 1 user user 57291 Aug 21 2007 hdcd.exe 8e9cbc6f1982d43141740f487406bfb5 hdcd.exe while the one from dbpoweramp has: -rwxrwx---+ 1 user user 64382 Mar 5 01:32 hdcd.exe 4005b948ecd7e7df49ab3288455b2db0 *hdcd.exe Thanks for the hint with the CUE file! Cheers, Chris

Comment

• calestyo
                      • Nov 2006

Well the CD has a HTOA of 2 secs and a few frames... nothing valuable,... but e.g. EAC extracts it... The hdcd.exe from the link I wrote above (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1044539) has: $ md5sum hdcd.exe 8e9cbc6f1982d43141740f487406bfb5 hdcd.exe while the one with dbpoweramp has: $ md5sum.exe hdcd.exe 4005b948ecd7e7df49ab3288455b2db0 *hdcd.exe Cheers.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

The HDCD we use is from 2008, it is potentially newer.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• calestyo
                          • Nov 2006

Perhaps one last question for now: I just compared my dbp version 12 registry values with those I'd have set now up for dbp 15.2. In both versions I've had CacheFUA disabled, but while in 12.x dbp set: "DriveCacheFUADisable"=dword:00000001 it sets now: "DriveCacheFUADisable"=dword:00000000 Assuming 0x0 = false this would also mean that it is actually enabled?? thx, Chris.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

You would have to see the check box inside the program, as that is what counts. If it is 0 then it is not enabled.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>