title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

flac level....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

flac level....

I Was in a hifi shop and the owner advised me to put in highest level (lossless) when ripping to flac.However, in your set up guide it advised to level 5 and defaults to level 5.

Surely the higher the level gives better sound-but may mean slower ripping time.Is this correct.??
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: flac level....

FLAC is lossless, all modes decompress to the exact same audio.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Re: flac level....

Originally posted by daleyb
      I Was in a hifi shop and the owner advised me to put in highest level (lossless) when ripping to flac.However, in your set up guide it advised to level 5 and defaults to level 5.

Surely the higher the level gives better sound-but may mean slower ripping time.Is this correct.??
      No, the levels do not give better or worse sound quality.....as Spoon said, it's all the exact same audio data.

The only difference in levels is how much the encoder compresses that data. The higher the compression level (during encoding), the more processor-intensive and time-consuming it is. So it's simply a trade-off between time and file size. The "hi-fi shop owner" doesn't know what he's talking about if he suggested that the "highest level" yields different sound quality. What it yields is maximum compression of the exact same audio data that you get with any other encoding level, and it's all the exact same audio quality.

Comment

Working...

]]>