title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File naming for a CD series(???)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryG45
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2014

File naming for a CD series(???)

Hi,
    The term "CD series" might be incorrect for these CDs. I have searched the forum and found a lot of good information about file naming, but nothing that addresses my question. These CDs were purchased at a grocery store promotion in the late 90's. For example, the jewel case for one series has Romantic Interludes with a volume number and album title - Mediterranean Romance. It also states that all the music is composed and arranged by John Darnall.

Metadata from dbpa has Artist & Album Artist: Romantic Interludes, Album: Mediterranean Romance, and Composer: John Darnall. The other CDs in the series only change the Album name and Composer. There is no mention of the volume number. To me, these don't fall into a compilation or regular album category. Maybe multi-disc set?

I use profiles for my CD ripping in order to make debugging easy in case something doesn't work as expected. I was planning to use the following profile for this series: Romantic Interludes/[album]/[track] - [title]

An example of the other series has Listener's Choice Vol. 11 Crystal New Age on the side of the jewel case and the front has Crystal New Age and The Music Experience. The only change for the remaining CDs in the series is the album name and volume number. Metadata has a lot of variations for these CDs. Some will have the composer as the Artist and Album Artist and some will have Listener Choice for the Artist and Album Artist. The profile I was planning to use for this series would be: The Music Experience/[album]/[track] - [title]

Has anyone had any experience with these CDs, and do you have any file naming suggestions for them? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: File naming for a CD series(???)

Originally posted by GaryG45
    Hi,
    The term "CD series" might be incorrect for these CDs. I have searched the forum and found a lot of good information about file naming, but nothing that addresses my question. These CDs were purchased at a grocery store promotion in the late 90's. For example, the jewel case for one series has Romantic Interludes with a volume number and album title - Mediterranean Romance. It also states that all the music is composed and arranged by John Darnall.

Metadata from dbpa has Artist & Album Artist: Romantic Interludes, Album: Mediterranean Romance, and Composer: John Darnall. The other CDs in the series only change the Album name and Composer. There is no mention of the volume number. To me, these don't fall into a compilation or regular album category. Maybe multi-disc set?

I use profiles for my CD ripping in order to make debugging easy in case something doesn't work as expected. I was planning to use the following profile for this series: Romantic Interludes/[album]/[track] - [title]

An example of the other series has Listener's Choice Vol. 11 Crystal New Age on the side of the jewel case and the front has Crystal New Age and The Music Experience. The only change for the remaining CDs in the series is the album name and volume number. Metadata has a lot of variations for these CDs. Some will have the composer as the Artist and Album Artist and some will have Listener Choice for the Artist and Album Artist. The profile I was planning to use for this series would be: The Music Experience/[album]/[track] - [title]

Has anyone had any experience with these CDs, and do you have any file naming suggestions for them? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
    It looks like you have already established your filename string. (You referred to these as profiles, but I think, from the description, that you're talking about your naming strings.) So I'm not quite sure what problem you're having....is that approach not working well?

As a general comment, you should just expect the online databases to be inconsistent with obscure CDs like this. The objective, then, is to decide on a tagging/naming scheme that organizes these albums in your music library in the way that makes sense to you, and then plan on a fair amount of manual editing, either pre- or post-rip. There's no right or wrong here....it's all just personal preference in organizing your library.

Comment

• GaryG45
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2014

Re: File naming for a CD series(???)

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I mistakenly referred to the naming string as a profile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that a profile consists of the path, naming string, encoder, and DSP effects. Is there more to a profile?

I'm not having a problem with the naming string for these CDs. I was just inquiring to find out if there was something I was overlooking about these CDs. I'm new at CD ripping, and I've found great information in this forum that has caused me to make some modifications to the organization of my library. I wanted to see if I wasn't missing something. Thanks again for your help.

Gary

Comment

Working...

]]>