title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC - Album Artist vs Contributing Artist Issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eostly
    • Dec 2013

FLAC - Album Artist vs Contributing Artist Issues

I have been happily using DBPowerAmp to convert my CDs to FLAC format with great results. However, I am having issues with CDs where the Album Artist is different from the Contributing Artist(s) for individual songs. If a particular song has multiple Contributing Artists, it will appear under the last artists name only. It will not keep the other name(s) with the song info.

For example, the Jay-Z album, The Blueprint 3, song 4, Run This Town has three contributing artists, Jay-Z, Rihanna, and Kanye West. After using CD Writer, the song is only listed under Kanye West which was the last contributing artist listed. It will now show up by artist for either Jay-Z or Rihanna.

My issue is I prefer to look for music by Artist-Album and by Artist I prefer Album Artist. If want to play Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 I want it to list all the songs from it and not just the ones where Jay-Z is the only or last listed contributing artist.

I could reset the Contributing Artist field while ripping to match the Album Artist but I'd prefer to keep the correct Contributing Artist info if possible.

Is there a trick or setting I missed with the different Artist (Contributing vs Album) to get it to view how I would like?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC - Album Artist vs Contributing Artist Issues

You are burning (writing) a data CD?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• eostly
      • Dec 2013

I am using DBpoweramp CD Ripper to Rip the CD to FLAC format onto a Seagate Central 4 TB (STCG4000100) Shared Storage Ethernet External Hard Drive.

I usually control/find the content with the Bubble UPnP Android App. I get the same behavior if I play it on the Android devices local renderer (with speakers hooked to it) or my network renderer (NAD C 446 Digital Media Tuner).
      Last edited by eostly; 12-29-2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Which UPnP server are you using?

The issue here will be with you have multiple artists they are correctly written in a flac tag as:

ARTIST=first artist
        ARTIST=second artist
        ARTIST=third artist

now players are supposed to create the artist display by combining the values like: first artist; second artist; third artist

but not all do, some just take the last value, which is stupid.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• eostly
          • Dec 2013

The Seagate Central 4TB drive is a DLNA certified device that I believe (unless I'm confused ... definitely possible) is acting as my UPnP server. At the following URL for it (http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...tral/*features) it lists the following caps:
          Once you set up Central, you can wirelessly stream your movies, music and photos to any DLNA-certified device on your home network such as media players, game consoles and smart TVs.
          I have the NAD Media Server as well as my Android devices setup to use it and it seems to work well. The NAD can play Internet Radio, AM and FM radio, USB devices, music stored on your network (on a computer or other DLNA or UPnP certified device).

I'm wondering if my issue is actually the media player (BubbleUP UPnP). Using my example, and your last response, the media player is definitely only taking the last artist value. I checked on a number of different albums where I am seeing the non-last artists missing from the catalog and the flac files created by DBpoweramp have retained the multiple artists on the individual files.

Does my media player client create it's own artist display or is that a function of the storage on the DLNA server?

If it is the media player client itself that creates the artist display, do you have any suggested alternatives? BubbleUP is well reviewed but I'm fine with another choice if it can handle the multiple artists.

Comment

• eostly
            • Dec 2013

I posted a reply yesterday but it said it was pending review by the moderator. Should I repost it?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

At this stage it is hard to say if is server or player, I think it would be the server, as a test try Asset UPnP:

And point it at the HDD.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>