title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: AccurateRip comparison database... how big is it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy AccurateRip comparison database... how big is it?

I have just downloaded and installed the unregistered version of PerfectTUNES. The concept seems great, but after a run through, I am concerned about the results.

After reading a thread about WMA compatibility, I re-downloaded the installer to try again.

I created a test folder with just 21 albums in. All of these albums have been ripped direct from CD with windows media player (in Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit), as WMA lossless audio files. Out of 21 albums, 20 of them were not present in AccurateRip. The one album that seemed to be, failed on 12 out of 13 tracks, with the "Not Enough Information in AccurateRip to Verify" error.

That's close to 100% failure, just on 21 albums. Which makes me question just how big the database is, that my collection will be compared against. If it's going to fail on almost my full collection, it's just not worth me purchasing it... yet.

Edit: I have just ripped an album that previously failed, to .WAV with dbPowerAmp CD Ripper. That's compares with AccurateRip as it rips, and it said it was perfect. I tried PerfectTUNES on the ripped album, and that also said it was perfect.

I then tried ripping that same album to WMA 9.2 Lossless using CD Ripper, that ripped as 100% accurate. I then ran PerfectTUNES on that folder, and it also said it was perfect.

As a final test, I re-ripped the album again to WMA lossless, using Windows Media Player on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit PC, and that failed on 12 of the 13 tracks.

Which begs the question... what is Media Player doing to the files, that is causing PerfectTUNES to fail to such a vast extent?
    Last edited by LeeC22; 08-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: AccurateRip comparison database... how big is it?

I've ripped about 5,000 CDs to flac. About 80% are in the database. Could be WMP as the ripper. WMP itself is not known as a secure ripper ( although most of the rips are likely ok by default). Perhaps that's the issue. Don't know?

Administrator

WMP might be ripping with wrong time offsets, this would explain why the disc cannot be found, as track lengths are used.

As a test take your most popular CD, rip in WMP and rip in dBpoweramp. Then run accuraterip on the resulting files.

Where did my reply go? :(

Here's a picture showing the properties of the same song, ripped with CD Ripper and Media Player... track lengths are identical.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post
    Where did my reply go? :(
    do you mean the edit you added to your original post? It's all there. You must have edited your post instead of replying to Spoon. And yes, it does seem like one version of WMS is doing odd things. I realize this is no help now, but I've been in the ripping to digital music mode for about 8 years. WMS has *never* been a ripper that folks serious about secure ripping of bitperfect tracks have discussed as a possible program to use (and neither has itunes for that matter). Historically, it has been either EAC or dbpa. Now cuetools is also considered a good secure ripper that uses accuraterip database. Obviously I'm a fan of dbpa. It is both a secure ripper and has easy user interface and the best metadata sources via perfectmeta.

No, I posted a reply to your post, but Spoon had replied in between while I was typing, so I made some changes... I still had this page open, so the edited post was still there, but when I clicked "Edit" again, to add some more info, it had gone.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of anything digital. It was only when my wife was seriously ill, that I went digital, to enable her to have access to our music more easily. I have a server for my website and email, and just ripped everything through that via WMP, as it was easier, as it was the central location in our network. Now there is just me :(, I have simply carried on buying CDs, but adding them to the digital collection for convenience.

The problems things like PerfectTUNES causes, is that when it fails like this, how do you know what is causing the problem? I only have 500 or so CDs, but it's still a lot of wasted re-ripping time, if there is in fact, nothing wrong with my rips. Maybe my best bet, is to just uninstall PerfectTUNES, and not go down the checking route. I mean, I could probably rip a select few albums, then write my own programme to do a data comparison on the actual body of the ripped files. I suppose I just have to weigh up the pros and cons of the development time involved in doing so.

And now the post I made with an image in it, has also gone... if people are deleting posts that are complaining about faults, then I'm done here...
    Last edited by LeeC22; 08-17-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Someone is censoring posts that complain.

That's possible I suppose garym. I just ripped the same album again, to .WAV through media player, and it failed in exactly the same way... 12 out of 13 tracks failed. If the ripper was the cause though, why would one track work fine?

Of course, there are other possibilities as to why it is failing, but I need to find some other ripping software to try, before I present that theory.

@Spoon: That is covered in the "Edit" section of my first post. Anything ripped in dbPowerAmp works, and anything ripped in Media Player seems to fail.
    Last edited by LeeC22; 08-17-2013 at 05:59 AM.